Thread: Seat height issue

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Seat height issue

Another question... my PO had installed a power seat module on the driver's side. Nice touch, except that I think the module raises the height of the driver's seat by a couple of inches, such that, despite the fact I am only 5'9", my head is on the ceiling, and any bump makes it painful when I smack my grape. I can adjust the seat to a point where my head doesn't bump, but then I am not terribly comfortable driving, and feel like my visibility is a bit impaired.

Are the driver and passenger seats interchangeable? If they are, it seems that it would also make it a bit easier to get in back for my kid (once I get the rear seat attached) by moving the seat release to the side facing the door. Otherwise, does anyone know where I should look for a replacement for the seat mount, so I can remove the power seat entirely and stop whacking my noggin?

Thanks!

shoot....I just read more of that first one link I posted...

no rails...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

Just take all the whiz bang crap off, & return it to stock?

The seats come out pretty easily, & I have a "how to" that should be up on this site in a day or two, detailing their removal & disassembly from the sliders.

FWIW, the mounting brackets & sliders aren't swappable from side to side, as the attachment points aren't a level playing field.

BUT the mounting brackets and sliders can be removed from the seats and swapped from one seat to the other. I swapped my drivers and passenger seats as my drivers seat was starting to get worn. You do lose the tilt/slide capability of the passenger seat because the mechanism doesn't seem to want to switch sides.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

I took a closer look at the thing while I was trying to re-install the back seat (need two more bolts), and it looks like the PO took the stock rails out, and installed the power mechanism in their place. The adjustability is great, but the power mechanism is about 3 inches tall, which makes the car hard to get into, I smack my head on the door when I try to check the drivers side blind spot, etc. I can deal with manually adjusted seating.

On a side note, what is directly underneath the rear seats, if you were to, say, drill a hole through the floor to mount a rear bucket seat?

Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by housertl View Post
    On a side note, what is directly underneath the rear seats, if you were to, say, drill a hole through the floor to mount a rear bucket seat?
    Take a look at the contours of the rear deck & where it drops down into the cockpit...poke a dowel, or a long golf tee, or a pipe cleaner wrapped in a few layers of tape through the holes where the upper rear seat mounts were attached to the floor.
    Use them, & the contour of the floor pan, as references to where you think your new mounting points might be.
    Then just crawl on under & see what might be lurking under there...

I bridged the two holes I just mentioned with a 1 x 4" & built my tool box up from there. I would think the same method, using something more metallic & substantial, would be a starting point where the safety of passengers was a concern.
    Last edited by Ldub : 06/20/2011 at 08:04 PM

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    shoot....I just read more of that first one link I posted...

no rails...
    Quote Originally Posted by housertl View Post
    I took a closer look at the thing while I was trying to re-install the back seat (need two more bolts), and it looks like the PO took the stock rails out, and installed the power mechanism in their place.
    I'd bet you could get the OEM rails at a salvage yard pretty easily....use that spreadsheet I put together with those 60 or so junkyards that have a VX. Even when they're all picked over, those seat rails are likely to still be in the carcass.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

I remember a member or two used a BFH to lower the mounting points for the driver's seat. There was more to it, but it looked more or less like the mounts were smashed down to lower the seat. It worked...

Quote Originally Posted by samneil2000 View Post
    I remember a member or two used a BFH to lower the mounting points for the driver's seat. There was more to it, but it looked more or less like the mounts were smashed down to lower the seat. It worked...
    http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...warticle&id=48

Thanks Dub

Smashed

Quote Originally Posted by samneil2000 View Post
    . There was more to it, but it looked more or less like the mounts were smashed down to lower the seat. It worked...
    Not a word normally seen in repair or mod documentation
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

Looks like Etfren may have some seats for sale.

The for sale thread:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...threadid=20689

The pictures of the seats that I am guessing are for sale.
    http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s319/Etfren/Cars/