Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Acura 3.5?????? The same??

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    the more efficient and reliable 5-speed 5L40-E/5L50 tranny that is not suitable for our VX although is almost identical.
    Why not, why makes it incompatible?

Bolt and housing design/locations are different.

Check wikipedia
    Dakar was just the begining.

Jharris1385 !

The main issue is torque. Our tranny can't handle more then 285hp,but my mech clearly told me that he wouldn't suggest any engine pushing over 270 because is more likely the tranny to go boom

I beleive the 4L30E is used inthe aveo still.

J are you sure its not the 4L60E those guys are using?

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

1999 Astral 0074, 2001 Proton, 1999 Ebony, 1999 Astral 0163
    Find a real mechanic that can morph your tranny into one that'll handle that much.

Gussie2000 off topic but on the tod case the front and rear speed sensors are they wired together or do they have seperate connections?
    So would I have to replace both or can I just replace one.
    when I am looking at them they look like they are together? What am I doing wrong?

Scoobymir
    I have no idea,but you can get that info in here

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    Scoobymir
    I have no idea,but you can get that info in here
    If anyone knows where to this info please let me know I cant find it. Also I am trying to find out what part everyone is talking about that is located on the front axle that you have to take off and clean out. They say that it look like a electric valve?
    Thank you

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobymlr View Post
    If anyone knows where to this info please let me know I cant find it. Also I am trying to find out what part everyone is talking about that is located on the front axle that you have to take off and clean out. They say that it look like a electric valve?
    Thank you
    You won't find that on the stock front axle of the VX.
    Only on Troopers etc, & their Honda/Acura counterparts that had TOD + 2wd-HI.

I just kinda skipped though this... but has anyone popped the hood on any honda/acura in the past ten years? sideways motors... they are all FWD design, will not bolt up to our transmission. the Aurora is also a FWD car, even though it is a V8, it would need custom exhaust manifolds most likely. what about a good ol' 4L60E, aren't they just beefed up versions of the 4L30E? I'm not too up on my GM transmission history, but I do know a little about a hondas... I also saw somewhere else on this forum something about the H3 manual transmission bolting to our engine, but the transfer case would have come too, and a custom drive shaft set up. If y'all are going through the trouble of swapping this stuff out, go with the Gm 5 cyl, it makes like 245hp right? and the trans can handle much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    You won't find that on the stock front axle of the VX.
    Only on Troopers etc, & their Honda/Acura counterparts that had TOD + 2wd-HI.
    And JDM VX's!!!!!

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by PK View Post
    And JDM VX's!!!!!

PK
    Point taken Mr. K...

All I can say is:

"I forgot".......

Quote Originally Posted by PK View Post
    And JDM VX's!!!!!

PK
    Thank you for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by takentolightly View Post
    I just kinda skipped though this... but has anyone popped the hood on any honda/acura in the past ten years? sideways motors... they are all FWD design, will not bolt up to our transmission. the Aurora is also a FWD car, even though it is a V8, it would need custom exhaust manifolds most likely. what about a good ol' 4L60E, aren't they just beefed up versions of the 4L30E? I'm not too up on my GM transmission history, but I do know a little about a hondas... I also saw somewhere else on this forum something about the H3 manual transmission bolting to our engine, but the transfer case would have come too, and a custom drive shaft set up. If y'all are going through the trouble of swapping this stuff out, go with the Gm 5 cyl, it makes like 245hp right? and the trans can handle much more.
    I, too, just stepped into this thread. I wish I would have seen this sooner. You are incorrect about the engines, though. The '96-'04 Acura RL motor is not sideways. Seeing as I had one sitting in my garage as well as a AR5 tranny, had I seen this, I would have been able to give some better feedback. I was motor swapping a 3.5 into my Acura Legend coupe, (which is becoming more commonplace nowadays), and was about 75% done w/a (anticiapted) 500hp Rotrex-s/c build until I purchased an M3 and parted the Legend.

does any 4L30E no matter what car in comes out of fit my 1999 VX? I problebly just lost my transmission when my intercooler blew, losing my fluid, with little warning, I drove about 3 miles, little fluid was left in sump, dropping pans in the morning; bet it's a mess; lots of 4L30E tranny's within a 100 miles of Cincy priced from $300 to $650; most all from Tropper II's, will my shop have any problem matting it to my VX? going for lowest millage, longest warranty, it's a gamble from a yard but it's 2012, what choice do I have, must save my VX!