Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Dropped off the doors...

I agree with MSHardeman, it's on a frame that is supposed to carry structural strength. The doors only mount by two hinges and a lever for the latch to grab onto, I don't see that holding too much strength, and I don't see Isuzu hoping the hinges and door latch keep the body from twisting. But that's just me.

I like the way this looks! If I can get some pipes and a welder I'd go for making some tube doors!

guess I should have read page 2 before posting

This is the latest mock-up. I am thinking I will do it in 1 1/4" pipe. Cut and welded with sharp angles instead of bent. This is a poor effort, but as good as powerpoint can do. Not sure on the center door pipe, straight or angled.

Drivers door center pipe in a triangle maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    I was being sarcastic about the mpg...it may or may not effect it, but surely was not the sole benefit that he was looking for!

Jeeps don't shed their doors for mpg. Its for the thrill and the feel of not having a door.

Jeeps also have a high Center of Gravity, so any weight up high that can be eliminated increases stability. Not sure how high the VX CG is but it likely has the same effect.

Not digging the latest bar design for the passenger doors... looks like the top bar would be 3-6" below the natural body line from the hood to just under the B-pillar glass. Maybe consider moving it up a bit to make it flow better with the body?

Btw, are you planning on incorporating a mesh surround like the Jeep picture on the first page? That would be sweet and would probably keep things from falling out through the bars as easily.

Nice work so far dude!

I say lower the top bar.

That might work too, it's kind of like painting, you either need to match existing paint exactly or pick a different color altogether. If the bar is too close to the "belt line" let's call it, it doesn't look good. Moving it further away might be a better alternative to going higher.

I think I am getting to something I like. I apreciate the suggestions, It gives me some great ideas. I am thinking a wire mesh attached with screws that is removable as opposed to the screen or fabric.

Plexi panels to enhance the view?
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Dropped off doors

Good to see someone actually executing this. I had posted a "what if" on this a few months back but grad school with the Navy is kicking my as*. The door mod certainly seems to be a topic with no middle ground on opinion.

I agree, the VX is not a Jeep and there are no advantages for doing such a mod, but isn't that the point of owning a halo vehicle smaller than a RAV4, yet 1,000lbs heavier that sucks fuel---yet another members freedom to interpret our VX. I think the none, or half door option would be welcome for those who like it. Anyone have a DOT or law enforcement site that would mention the legality of doing such a mod?

Nothing personal, structural compromise keeps coming up and still not sure how flimsy stamped sheet metal and plastic maintains integrity on a full truck frame. I know I would love the mod to increase visibility when going off-road in in Hollister Rec Vehicle Park. (course I need to remove the carpet so I can clean the interior easier).

I would still like to do the mod someday myself and look forward to the results. I am looking online to see about legality of driving without doors. (Saw a guy in traffic here in CA doing same in a Toyota with the small rearviews on the A pillars, so maybe..
    -Wekilled
    douglaswekell(at)gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by wekilled View Post
    ... still not sure how flimsy stamped sheet metal and plastic maintains integrity on a full truck frame...
    Maybe what's behind the plastic is what has people considering the door a structural member. Look here:

http://www.pbase.com/tom4bren/image/113396084
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

looks structural to me

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Maybe what's behind the plastic is what has people considering the door a structural member. Look here:

http://www.pbase.com/tom4bren/image/113396084
    Structural Member just sounds dirty
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

depends how you use it.

I don't know if that side tube in the door is structural, but it is definitely for safety. I think it is more there as a side impact bar. It has savedmy *** on the trail. Our last run, I had the VX tipped on its side such the passenger wheels were off the ground, the weight was set on the door line. I was fortunate that the mud hole I was in was at an angle that prevented the fenders from sticking out more than the door. That steel bar did its job, I could see where the "hump" in the door cladding dug into the dirt.

I think the idea is awesome!!! I would be worried about dicks stealing all my goodies. I keep a ton of tools and whatnot in there. Someone just stole a huge chunk of railroad tracks to scrap the steal! They will steal anything.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson