Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any other good options besides Mecatech?

Any other good options besides Mecatech?

After 100,000 miles, my outer CV boots finally cracked and sprayed grease all over everything.

I'm going to call Indy4x tomorrow, as it seems they are the only ones who can supply the Mecatech boot kits in the US.

My question though, are there any other options that folks have used that seem to last?

Thanks - Bart

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    After 100,000 miles, my outer CV boots finally cracked and sprayed grease all over everything.

I'm going to call Indy4x tomorrow, as it seems they are the only ones who can supply the Mecatech boot kits in the US.

My question though, are there any other options that folks have used that seem to last?

Thanks - Bart
    I can't comment on their longevity, as they're still NIB, but I bought a set of 4 that are virtually identical to the mec-a-techs off ebay...under $60 for the set IIRC.

I can't find the source right now as I'm away from home base, but I have it bookmarked back home.

Bart, I haven't used them, but I've heard that the Mecatech's actually don't last as long as you think they would given their price. Talking to people out in Moab, it sounds like stock Izusu boots, or the AutoZone/Napa/O'reily's replacement boots work just fine and last a long time.

I think Marlin when through a set of Mecatech's fairly quickly and then went back to stock style boots and hasn't had a problem. Hopefully he will chime in to give his opinion.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

I have the PepBoy brand and they have got a good 30-40K on them.

OK, thanks guys. I will give the Mecatechs a go and see how they last. The good thing is, I don't do any hard wheeling in my VX too often any more, and after Moab 2012, I will be throwing some ATs on there and she will be even more spoiled than she is now.

Bart

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    All my CV issues (from the haft shaft thread) were caused by brand new mecatech boots ripping the first day in moab. Personally I will never buy mecatech again.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    All my CV issues (from the haft shaft thread) were caused by brand new mecatech boots ripping the first day in moab. Personally I will never buy mecatech again.
    Wow, that sucks. How high are you lifted up front?

Bart

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Hiya Bart

I use Dorman brand..from Auto Zone.

Outer.....# 614-001 Dor

Inner.....# 614-002 Dor

I thrash them pretty hard...and they last well.

Changed my first one in two years at Moab this year.

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Wow, that sucks. How high are you lifted up front?

Bart
    about 2.5" at the time so the CVs had a good angle on them. For the record, I replaced the boots with EMPI brand at the same lift and had no issues with boots tearing. Now I have the diff drop to eliminate the issue all together.

My mecatech's were MecaCrap. Tore upon instalation.

I use $10 ones from RockAuto.com now, they are awesome :-)

Wow, are they really that bad? For $150 is the kit some sort of sham?

WTF? Bart

I've had Dorman boots on mine since I first bought it in '05. Its been lifted 3" in front all except the first year (about 40k miles on the rodeo since I bought it). I do have manual hubs on mine though so they are only turning in 4wd but you know how often I go wheeling. They also spend quite a bit of time locked in during winter cuz I'm lazy. So far no signs of failure in the near future.
    --Dave

Yeah, my Mecatechs came in last Friday. They look at feel ok to me, I tried to pull on them and twist them to see if they would rip and they seemed ok. If all goes well, I am going to install them this weekend. If they rip, they rip, and I will install something different the next time around.

Bart

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

Sorry I wasn't able to get this out in time for you Bart, but near as I can tell, these look JUST like the Mecs...http://cgi.ebay.com/A-L-O-E-Z-Boot-2...item5d2caac941

If you can take some approx measurements (big end dia, small end dia, & overall height) off the Mecs, I'd be happy to do comparo meas on the ones I received.

If they're the same, $ 50.35 for 4, with grease, clamps & shipping included, is ridiculous...

I will never use the mecatechs again. They tore after a few months. The tearing isn't the issue, its how fast they tore, and the fact that they cost 4 times more than other boots!
    Now that I have lowered the diff, no worries, I just use the cheapest boots I find, or get em at the yards.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson