Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WTB: Carbon Fiber Hood Insert w/ Scoop

WTB: Carbon Fiber Hood Insert w/ Scoop

So here's the deal - I've got some blemishes on my hood (few rock chips, couple small dings from acorns or something) and a pretty significant rust spot on the trailing edge of the hood. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want a CF insert w/ hood scoop, but it seems silly to have someone remove the insert to respray the hood, only to put it back where I have to remove it again once a CF insert is available.

So I guess I'm really asking a couple of questions here:

1. Is anyone willing to sell their CF insert with hood scoop (preferrably the WRX style)?
    2. How difficult is the insert to remove, and how difficult would it be to install a new one?
    3. Is anybody close to actually producing CF or CF wrapped inserts with scoops?

Just thought I'd throw this out there for discussion - seems like there are constantly people interested in this mod, and although VX'ers have a reputation for showing interest but not following up with dollars, I have to think somebody could make money by producing these inserts.

Ron, BOARZHEAD, anyone?

Examples of what I'm after:

Vt have you thought about getting the insert 3m CF wrapped ended up being the perfect solution for my sun faded insert over painting. Check my thread I just posted for pictures cost me only $70 wrapped professionally locally after watching the process look like something I could do on my own with some time and patient.
    Rolling around the pacific northwest ...

Removing the insert is super easy to do. I take mine off periodically to clean under it. Takes about ten minutes and it'll give you a chance to re-attach the few fasteners that have inevitably come off. A little PL Premium construction adhesive and those babies aren't going anywhere.

You just pop out the plastic tabs that hold the insulation to the underside of the hood, remove the little hoses from the bottom of the wiper nozzles, and undo all the bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiredgoon View Post
    Removing the insert is super easy to do. I take mine off periodically to clean under it. ... You just pop out the plastic tabs that hold the insulation to the underside of the hood,...
    Sounds like you should just leave the hood blanket off. It really doesn't serve any function & is just an extra step in your regular process.

Ash, I still have a spare insert. It's cracked but repairable. If you can find a scoop, we can play around with what you're after.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I did see the other thread a few minutes ago pnwdawg, that is some awesome work! And only $70?!? That's definitely worth considering.

So Tom you think we could just buy a scoop, attach (or glue?) it down to your insert, then have it wrapped? That's it?

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    I did see the other thread a few minutes ago pnwdawg, that is some awesome work! And only $70?!? That's definitely worth considering.

So Tom you think we could just buy a scoop, attach (or glue?) it down to your insert, then have it wrapped? That's it?
    Or have it dipped by Boarzhead.

Wondering what the difference is between dipping and wrapping? (I already posted the question in the other thread as well.) I didn't see the TV show a bunch of people said they saw that explained the process.

Production method aside, I'm thinking I could get wrapping done locally and avoid shipping charges.

Mine has been off my VX for over a year now. Back to the OEM. Weather here simply destroyed it. I am of the opinion that the finish was just cheap since I care for my VX beyond measure and it's garage kept. Mid Atlantic seasons are not known to be generous on vehicles either way.

I have been debating just painting it and putting it back on but if I do not, I will consider selling it. My mind is not made up. Just know though, it looks pretty miserable and chances are, only paint can fix the blemishes.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Definitely let me know, maybe I could have it wrapped or dipped to fix the blemishes? Btw, I don't see any pics in your gallery where you had it installed?

That's where dipping is a better long-term solution. I'll give you the quick and dirty:
    You have a tank of water, clean and at the proper temp. Roll out the film that has the pattern you want (camo, carbon fiber etc) and spray a chemical activator on it. It then liquifies but stays together in a tight pattern. Feed the item being dipped through that liquified film and it adheres to the item. Then you dry it, clear coat it and polish it. The clear coat is the same as what a vehicle has, so it is just as durable (if properly done).
    The wrap is just a sheet of plastic with a print on it and glue on the back. It will weather like a bumper sticker...
    My .02

Did some research on the wrap product and posted it in the other thread, thought I'd put it here as well for ease of research later:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...550#post235550

Good reading material directly from 3M's product literature:
    Graphic Performance Life
    This product is covered by the 3M Basic Product Warranty, which warrants that if this product has any physical product or manufacturing defects that 3M’s sole liability under the terms of the Warranty is replacement or credit for the returned, unused material. There is no finished or applied graphic warranty nor warranted durability. However, thorough testing and use of this product throughout the world for many years indicates that it is highly durable when used in vertical installations as described in the applicable 3M Product and Instruction Bulletins.

Exposure Definition
    Vertical Exposure
    The face of the graphic is +- 10° from vertical

Expected Durability for Vertically Applied Film with Sun Symbol
    U.S. - 4 years
    U.S. Desert Southwest - 3 years

Exceptions and Limitations
    • Horizontal indoor wall decoration with no direct UV light exposure is a satisfactory application but no expected durability has been determined.
    • Horizontal indoor counters and ledges that are exposed to abrasion results in premature wear or damage. Applying 3M DI-NOC Protection Film DPF 100 provides reasonable resistance to abrasion and soil, but also changes the gloss and may change the appearance of the DI-NOC film over which it is applied.
    • Horizontal outdoor decoration is not recommended. Exposure to maximum sunlight and environmental conditions can cause color change, loss of gloss, chalking and premature failure.
    http://solutions.3mindia.co.in/3MCon...bute=ImageFile

Cool website: http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/faq/

So it seems like durability will be a question on the horizontal hood insert. Too bad because those pieces look AMAZING.

All my pics were on an old website that I let fall into oblivion, so I have no access to them/are gone. Sorry. Looks just like everyone else's since they all came from CF One though.

I have still been considering buying the aftermarket F/G Dodge style scoops and resin-mating them into the OEM insert. I think it;s way more aggressive looking and just like the more "boxy" look of them.

Hi! I'm in the U.K!
    Going to fit some carbon fibre wrap to my hood insert today.
    I'll post a few pics when done!

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    I wrapped my hood in satin (semi-matte) black earlier this year and I love it. It was a DIY project that took about 2 hrs to install. It can be done faster but I made a lot of mistakes placing the vinyl evening. The 3M carbon fiber looks great if you decide to use it.

Also I installed a reverse WRX hood scoop into the fiberglass center. With some fiberglass and elbow grease you can install your own hood scoop if you cant find one for sale. I don't have any close up pics but can take some this weekend if you want.