Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New noise.

I had bad control arm bushings and the symthoms were very differant. I would get a rythmic bad vibration from the bad side that would yank the steering wheel like the tire had a flat spot in it...but it would only happen during normal accelerations and usually stopped past 40-45mph. There is a tread on here somewhere about it.

Back to somewhat on topic, a somewhat common cause of clunking during acceleration/ braking is the tramsmission mount bolts loosening/ falling out. Myself included, several on here have had this happen.

The creaking during braking I think is normal in older drivetrains. When stopping, the car is still trying to go forward while in gear and idling so suspension part will creak.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

[QUOTE=Triathlete;235998]I had bad control arm bushings and the symthoms were very differant. I would get a rythmic bad vibration.... QUOTE]

Maybe this is what is going on that tapping under my feet. More to check out.

Went to lunch with a co-worker and she commented on my faded paint. I said: My car is old.... paint means nothing to me if the engine isn't working, so that is where the money goes. Preventative and otherwise.

Could some of this brake "clunking" be loose calipers, or maybe the parking brake shoes are out of whack in the back. (yeah, that rhymes).
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Crager...I could strongly feel it in the steering wheel. When the cont arm bushings are bad it allows the cont arm to move around...almost feels like one wheel (in my case the pass side was bad) is driving on bad wash-boarded road or the rumble strips on the side of the road only way worse.

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Could some of this brake "clunking" be loose calipers, or maybe the parking brake shoes are out of whack in the back. (yeah, that rhymes).
    Well, my clunking followed me even after the dealer replaced the brakes. I assume they would have at least commented on that at the time. On the other hand, we are talking about a dealership...

I'm going to go look at the transmission mounts, though. I also see that the non-threadjacked discussion has become active again, so I'll go re-read that, too...

Anyway, sorry for the threadjack. The original original thread was about a chirping brake pedal! Sooooo, anyway, we're not talking about that kind of all-over squeaking that the brakes do when they're just at the edge of holding you at a stop? eg, the noise doesn't go away when you really stomp on the brakes?