Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Will you leave her for this?

Will you leave her for this?

Will you leave your VX for this? Range Rover Evoque

Looks like a very appealing replacement for the VX.
    Last edited by jdm monkey : 08/06/2011 at 06:56 PM

why yes, I believe I could be seriously tempted.....really sharp!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Agreed. If money was of no concern; yes, I'd already have a RR Evoque 2-Door Coupe sitting in my garage. I absolutely love it!!! I commend LR/RR for stepping away from the normal 4-door SUV paradox, and once again building a 2-door coupe utility vehicle (besides the infamous D-90 Defender). Just to stay competitive with the other auto makers, there is also a 4-door Evoque available.

Incidentally, I used to own a 1997 (last year of USA model) Limited Edition D-90 Defender serial #127/300 made. It too; like the Evoque was a $50K vehicle, but I quickly sold it after only putting on 1,600 miles (yes, sixteen-hundred) because the D-90 specifically didn't have the "creature comforts" I felt it should have had at that price point with its very cramped shoulder/elbow room and gawd-awful MPG. True; the D-90 Defender is highly off-road capable, but it doesn't even come close to my incomparable 1978 FJ-40 in off-road worthiness and ability.

The RR Evoque is the apitomy of luxury SUV's and its beautiful lines are simply breathtaking from every angle. Like all LR/RR vehicles it is off-road capable, but I would be absolutely terrified in getting it possibly scratched if taken off-road. Thus, the Evoque is likely best served as a very pompus Winter "snow vehicle" to thumb your nose at the less fortunate middle-class while traveling to/from the ski resort. Plus, putting larger oversize off-road tires on the Evoque would take away from its sleek beauty IMHO. That is where the VX differs from the Evoque, in that the VX is more accomodating with larger rubber shoes, and may not bleed as bad if the VX is scratched/scuffed during an off-road encounter. Still, the ultimate VX replacement vehicle would have been the Hummer HX/H4 which is now only a dream due to the recession.

My vote would be to have both-- the RR Evoque Coupe for urban warfare and Wintertime snubbing, and the VX for when it's time to venture off-road in modern style. Having both parked side-by-side in the driveway would really piss-off the neighborhood (and I like doing that).

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Agreed. If money was of no concern; yes, I'd already have a RR Evoque 2-Door Coupe sitting in my garage. I absolutely love it!!! I commend LR/RR for stepping away from the normal 4-door SUV paradox, and once again building a 2-door coupe utility vehicle (besides the infamous D-90 Defender). Just to stay competitive with the other auto makers, there is also a 4-door Evoque available.

Incidentally, I used to own a 1997 (last year of USA model) Limited Edition D-90 Defender serial #127/300 made. It too; like the Evoque was a $50K vehicle, but I quickly sold it after only putting on 1,600 miles (yes, sixteen-hundred) because the D-90 specifically didn't have the "creature comforts" I felt it should have had at that price point with its very cramped shoulder/elbow room and gawd-awful MPG. True; the D-90 Defender is highly off-road capable, but it doesn't even come close to my incomparable 1978 FJ-40 in off-road worthiness and ability.

The RR Evoque is the apitomy of luxury SUV's and its beautiful lines are simply breathtaking from every angle. Like all LR/RR vehicles it is off-road capable, but I would be absolutely terrified in getting it possibly scratched if taken off-road. Thus, the Evoque is likely best served as a very pompus Winter "snow vehicle" to thumb your nose at the less fortunate middle-class while traveling to/from the ski resort. Plus, putting larger oversize off-road tires on the Evoque would take away from its sleek beauty IMHO. That is where the VX differs from the Evoque, in that the VX is more accomodating with larger rubber shoes, and may not bleed as bad if the VX is scratched/scuffed during an off-road encounter. Still, the ultimate VX replacement vehicle would have been the Hummer HX/H4 which is now only a dream due to the recession.

My vote would be to have both-- the RR Evoque Coupe for urban warfare and Wintertime snubbing, and the VX for when it's time to venture off-road in modern style. Having both parked side-by-side in the driveway would really piss-off the neighborhood (and I like doing that).

Agreed. Its a good addition to the collection. VX is irreplaceable!!! LOL

Neayah.

Nope...just an upscale rebadged ford.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jdm monkey View Post

just needs some spinners on those rims to make the look complete

Quote Originally Posted by jdm monkey View Post

Is it just me, or does the grill looks like a teenager wearing braces?

No, this would not replace my VX!
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Nope...just an upscale rebadged ford.

Yep, I believe it is about as offroad worthy as the rest of the junk rovers built since 2002ish:

Its not even off road capable! I just perused it on the rover site. It is their smallest and most fuel efficient LRX car based vehicle!

"Pure - the purest expression of the LRX concept car."

CAR CAR CAR, the VX is not a CAR
    You guys are killing me, first you compare some Acura/Honda hatchback to the VX, now some Ford car. You guys have to at a minimum pick something that has a frame, not unibody, and it has to be able to go off road.

This thing is a rebadged Ford Edge.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

I believe the original question was "Will you leave your VX for this?" NOT "Is this a suitable replacement for the VX that has the same capabilities and characteristics?" I mean, you are answering a completely different question. Of course it can't match the VX for the things you do with your truck, but it would be far superior for the things I do with mine. I drive to work on roads, run errands on roads, drive family and friends around and on trips on roads, haul some stuff in the back and occasionally on the roof, but again, I do it on roads. On occasion I have to go over a curb, drive up a grassy hill, or through a moderately deep puddle after rain flooding. That's it, and the Evoque would have no trouble with those functions. The VX is a fantastic truck in both appearance and capability, but come one it has its faults, number one and two being ride comfort and fuel efficiency. If we flipped the question around, do you think the RR Evoque owners would answer with anything other than disbelief that this was even a question? Ride comfort, interior styling, efficiency, oil burn etc etc as they reeled off a lengthy list of characteristics in which their vehicle is vastly superior. I sometimes get a little frustrated reading car/truck enthusiasts rip on some vehicle because it does not perform at some standard that 99.5% of the driving public has no interest in meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Yep, I believe it is about as offroad worthy as the rest of the junk rovers built since 2002ish:

Its not even off road capable! I just perused it on the rover site. It is their smallest and most fuel efficient LRX car based vehicle!

"Pure - the purest expression of the LRX concept car."

CAR CAR CAR, the VX is not a CAR
    You guys are killing me, first you compare some Acura/Honda hatchback to the VX, now some Ford car. You guys have to at a minimum pick something that has a frame, not unibody, and it has to be able to go off road.

This thing is a rebadged Ford Edge.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    I agree with you Marlin, all but...

You guys have to at a minimum pick something that has a frame, not unibody
    Jeep Cherokee is a unibody and a very capable offroader.

I understand what you are saying, but why would you leave your VX for that? If we are playing the question that way, would you leave your VX for a jet plane, perhaps a helicopter, maybe a Chevy Aveo or Nissan Leaf?

I interpreted that the question as the Rover as a replacement for the VX. That thing is not a replacement for the VX by any stretch of the imagination, no more that a pair of socks is a replacement for a pair of boots.

I do get what your saying about the VX, with the exception of the head turning stares, what is the purpose of you driving the VX? Not saying you shouldn't, but if mpg,reliability and luxury are your goal, I would find a swagger wagon, those things are sweet!!!!! My friend has one, gets good mpg, super quiet, very versatile, can even tow a small boat!! Its also half the price as that rover.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, but seriously, his van is pretty sweet as a family vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    I agree with you Marlin, all but...

Jeep Cherokee is a unibody and a very capable offroader.
    I am blocking future posts from you because of that comment

The new cherokee is not capable, its IFS and IRS, no more solid axle at all, imagine the pain of trying to lift and deal with CVs and so on

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    I am blocking future posts from you because of that comment

The new cherokee is not capable, its IFS and IRS, no more solid axle at all, imagine the pain of trying to lift and deal with CVs and so on
    Agreed, the new Jeep GRAND cherokee is not a good offroad rig.

The unibody Jeep CHEROKEE XJ with F&R solid axles is a great platform to build for offroading. Bet you didn't know it was a unibody

Back to your comment, I use rear solid axle (other than the H1) & 4 low transfer case as a minimum benchmark for offroading platforms rather than frame design. The Cherokee proves that unibodies can be used on more than just cars.

Well aside from the meaningless non sequitur regarding a plane or a helicopter, your position boils down to the same "if you don't use the vehicle the way I think you should use it, why have it?" I just don't find that a useful arguement. I have the VX because I like the way it looks and enjoy what it can do even in my limited exploration. There are many many vehicles that I would consider perfectly suited for me, and would consider replacing the VX with if funding were not an issue, but that list would be narrowed down rather quickly by appearance/styling, as it is for most of us.

I understand what you are saying, but why would you leave your VX for that? If we are playing the question that way, would you leave your VX for a jet plane, perhaps a helicopter, maybe a Chevy Aveo or Nissan Leaf?

I interpreted that the question as the Rover as a replacement for the VX. That thing is not a replacement for the VX by any stretch of the imagination, no more that a pair of socks is a replacement for a pair of boots.

I do get what your saying about the VX, with the exception of the head turning stares, what is the purpose of you driving the VX? Not saying you shouldn't, but if mpg,reliability and luxury are your goal, I would find a swagger wagon, those things are sweet!!!!! My friend has one, gets good mpg, super quiet, very versatile, can even tow a small boat!! Its also half the price as that rover.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, but seriously, his van is pretty sweet as a family vehicle.