Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New Range Rover Evoque vs. The VX???

Willys/Overland beat Isuzu to the 4x4 roadster/speedster/coupe thing....by about 55 years. They called it a Jeepster. Def an icon and def moved a bunch of bars forward, to the International Scout, the Ford Bronco, the Blazer, the FJ Land Cruiser.....Crosley had a few.....Mitsu had the old Montero (which Mopar sold as well) Power Wagons could ONLY be called aggressive.
    VX was the first of the new millenia maybe, but nowhere near first in anything I can think of....even Rav4s had a plastic lower half in like '94
    The VX is a cool looking vehicle. (I worked for Isuzu of Daytona while they were being made. I knew I was getting one, the instant I saw it.) It has been a perfectly reliable friend. I will likely not sell it for a very long time.
    I just think it more or less ends there

The first vehicle with fangs has to be the first truly aggressively styled vehicle. period. Need I say more?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    The first vehicle with fangs has to be the first truly aggressively styled vehicle. period. Need I say more?
    So...you're not seeing any fang like protrusions here...

PLEASE send me a BUTT load of whatever yer smok'n...

Shipping Addy:

L dubski
    420 WTF Lane
    Myopic MN

Hey Pepino, thanks for posting the photo of the VX & Evoque together. I've yet to see the new Rover in person and I expected it to be MUCH BIGGER than the VX! I hope you love 'em both - they look so awesome! I like that you got the Juke in there, too! It looks bigger than the VX in comparison even though I've seen a few on them on the road.

So...you're not seeing any fang like protrusions here...

PLEASE send me a BUTT load of whatever yer smok'n...

Shipping Addy:

L dubski
    420 WTF Lane
    Myopic MN

Thanks for the address. Now I know where to send all my excess machinations. But please, here, the auto you depict was not styled by any thing other than a need to homologate big wheels for SCCA racing. The basic car is not a Cobra but an AC Bristol (British design), on steroids. That's not intentional agressive styling, but instead intent to circumvent parochial racing rules, no more. The VX was a total departure, based on a specific intent to offer totally new styling horizons; its later racing duties a secondary consideration.

Now as far as Willy's Jeepster etc. etc. They were not styling departures. If we were that near sighted we'd have to included model "T" Roadsters etc.
    The VX was an intentional departure into aggressivism, so to speak. It most closely mirrors the wheel arches and side pods of the original '66 Toronado, but adds large expanses of ribbed polypropelene and fangs, yes fangs to punctuate a move to the next frontier. And, no, the VX just like the original 356 Porsche will never look dated as a result of its bold manuever to genuinely depart. Just look at Pepino's photos they tell the whole story, right there. The Evoque looks weak by comparison in terms of departure status. The Juke looks totally VX copycat, and nothing more. Nuff said? I invite your concerns/questions.

Talking

The Juke looks totally VX copycat, and nothing more. Nuff said? I invite your concerns/questions.
    I think you just shot yourself in the foot there barney...that thing is BUTT ugly.

I'll reiterate..."PLEASE send me a BUTT load of whatever yer smok'n..."

Sans machinations

And why do people with a "flimsy at best" argument, always say "need I say more", or the ever popular: "nuff said"...

SAYS WHO?...

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    I think you just shot yourself in the foot there barney...that thing is BUTT ugly.

I'll reiterate..."PLEASE send me a BUTT load of whatever yer smok'n..."

Sans machinations

And why do people with a "flimsy at best" argument, always say "need I say more", or the ever popular: "nuff said"...

SAYS WHO?...
    No joke!! I can't imagine who would like those!! I test drove one, suckola!!! UGLY
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

My favorite is when someone, ANYone, says that "the such-and-such debate is over," or "there no even arguing such-and-such." Simply reply "I disagree" and with those two little words, you immediately and effectively invalidate their claim.

And then you just have fun with them when they try to think for themselves. All too easy.

-V
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

I never said the Juke was good looking...merely that as a styling excersise it was propelled by the VX experience and failed, just for clarification. Nor did I preclude any further debate, and purposely invited further retort. Please read what was specifically stated. I only lofted the question of was this enough, and requested more response. Now, let's be fair here.

Sambo, I did see your invite to continue the discourse, but I was speaking generally and replying to Dub. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I'm staying out of this one other than to perhaps lob in the occasional .

It's what I do.
    -V

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    I gotta say, Pepino, those three next to eachother is very interesting. Especially, since I still think the VX stands out the most.

Bart
    I have always liked weird looking vehicles. The VX does stand out a lot here in Mexico since I am pretty sure it is the only one in the country.
    People stare at the evoque too but not in a "WTF is that" way. They look at it and keep going their way. The juke did get some looks at the beginning but now there is just too many of them out there. Wait till I lower it and put some bigger wheels in it and it will look great. IF the Juke-R would have come out, I probably would have gotten that one instead.

The VX is still the one that gets most attention, but also as an 11 year old truck which has seen pretty bad weather and has been offroad many times, it just isnt in the best shape it used to be. I am planning on restoring it sometime soon. I will never sell the VX.
    ----------------------
    A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by RickOKC View Post
    Hey Pepino, thanks for posting the photo of the VX & Evoque together. I've yet to see the new Rover in person and I expected it to be MUCH BIGGER than the VX! I hope you love 'em both - they look so awesome! I like that you got the Juke in there, too! It looks bigger than the VX in comparison even though I've seen a few on them on the road.
    Yes, I love the 3 of them.

VX can handle everything.
    Evoque is so comfortable and such nice audio system and I still have to take it to do some light off roading. Some Turbo lag, but fast once the turbo starts spinning. Plus I have a Ford Focus RS Mk2 and the evoque has the same engine as the 2012 Focus ST, wanted to see how it felt.
    Nissan Juke dont like the interiors very much, leather or 4wheel drive werent available in Mexico but i have to say it is fast as hell. Also the Juke is the smallest of the three, almost no room in the trunk, and rear seat room isnt that great either.
    If you want more pictures just let me know.

Wink

I never said the Juke was good looking...merely that as a styling excersise it was propelled by the VX experience and failed, just for clarification.
    I think you're confusing what you "meant", with what you "said"...

"The Juke looks totally VX copycat, and nothing more."

Nor did I preclude any further debate, and purposely invited further retort. Please read what was specifically stated. Now, let's be fair here.
    I agree, that we disagree...

Quote Originally Posted by Pepino View Post
    The VX does stand out a lot here in Mexico since I am pretty sure it is the only one in the country.
    Apparently, there's at least one other VX in Mexico now.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=22170

Mark

I think you're confusing what you "meant", with what you "said"...

"The Juke looks totally VX copycat, and nothing more."

I agree, that we disagree...
    No confusion. Not in the least. The Juke as a product apes the VX. But as I added it has "failed" to be as successful stylingwise. If you want an automotive footnote, look no further than the Nissan Juke. It will never be viewed as a departure from anything olr an original, it merely recollects the VX of 19 years earlier. Said differently, it will never make Motor Trends classics list, like the VX has (which I have mentioned above).