Thread: quick question on fluids

quick question on fluids

was wondering what are the factory recommended fluids for, tranny, transfercase, and front and rear diff's.

From the Owner's Manual:

Engine: 10w30
    Power Steering: Dextron III
    Transmission: (Same) Dextron III
    TOD: (Same) Dextron III
    Front Axle: SAE 75W-90 Gear Lubricant GL-5
    Rear Axle: SAE 80W-90 Gear Lubricant GL-5
    LSD with LSD Additive
    Brakes: DOT-3
    Last edited by RickOKC : 08/11/2011 at 07:08 PM

Rick,

You were too quick. I was searching for this thread:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...fer+case+fluid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I keep lots of stuff like that handy on my smartphone so it was just a quick plug in / copy / paste.

I like your list better (bookmarked!). Thanks!

Make sure you read the whole thread, there were some changes made after the initial post.

thanks for all the help. i am going to be picking up vx on monday and am going to bring some fluids to ensure tranny and fluids are all topped up before the 1200 mile trek home. and one i get home well then the work will really start

ah, thanks for posting this. i was actually going to ask something similar. when is the recommended services for such things as the t-case, tranny. i suppose i need to ask the seller of mine tomorrow if any of that has been done since she owned it. i also think i want to redo the entire brakes system including lines, fluid, rotors, pads and calipers at some point. she gave me a receipt that shows new pads and rotors were put on the front, but it still doesn't seem to have the stopping power as say, my H3 for example. and my H3 weighs much more.
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

Quote Originally Posted by H3_VX View Post
    ah, thanks for posting this. i was actually going to ask something similar. when is the recommended services for such things as the t-case, tranny. i suppose i need to ask the seller of mine tomorrow if any of that has been done since she owned it. i also think i want to redo the entire brakes system including lines, fluid, rotors, pads and calipers at some point. she gave me a receipt that shows new pads and rotors were put on the front, but it still doesn't seem to have the stopping power as say, my H3 for example. and my H3 weighs much more.
    You've been active for a year on here, and you haven't found all that info yet? You're slippin!

ok, brake info....MANY owners find the OEM brake pads last upwards of 80,000+ miles..yes 80,000. They are a very long lasting material.
    One odd finding...some owners have the original REAR pads wear out prior to the FRONTS....which is kinda illogical. My OEM pads are wearing in the "normal" manner...fronts are at 30% remaining, rears 50%.
    The OEM pads are expensive, but many feel they're worth it since they last so long.

Several owners who've installed the stainless steel brake lines say the brakes feel more responsive. I just installed them about 2 months ago, and I also think braking is a bit better.....and I'm schleppin' a lot of extra weight too.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by RickOKC View Post
    From the Owner's Manual:
    Front Axle: SAE 75W-90 Gear Lubricant
    GL-5 LSD with LSD Additive
    Don't need LSD Additive in the front axle unless you have replaced your open front diff with one that contains an LSD!
    Our front diff is an "open" 10 bolt in factory form.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Oops, thank you for the correction! I'll edit my earlier post.

ah, thanks for posting this. i was actually going to ask something similar. when is the recommended services for such things as the t-case, tranny.
    Hi H3_VX, CLICK HERE to download a PDF of the Owner's Manual. The Scheduled Maintenance chart is on page 131 of 189.

i also think i want to redo the entire brakes system including lines, fluid, rotors, pads and calipers at some point. she gave me a receipt that shows new pads and rotors were put on the front, but it still doesn't seem to have the stopping power as say, my H3 for example. and my H3 weighs much more.
    My brake pads are in good condition and yet it's just plain not what I'm used to! I drove 2 other VXs before I bought mine and the braking seemed the same on all 3. The test drive on the 2nd one was funny - the owner was in the passenger seat and I kept giving him the "Mom Arm" every time I misjudged stopping distance until I got used to it!

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    ok, brake info....MANY owners find the OEM brake pads last upwards of 80,000+ miles..yes 80,000. They are a very long lasting material.
    One odd finding...some owners have the original REAR pads wear out prior to the FRONTS....which is kinda illogical. My OEM pads are wearing in the "normal" manner...fronts are at 30% remaining, rears 50%.
    The OEM pads are expensive, but many feel they're worth it since they last so long.
    Concur. I now have 130K miles on my original front rotors and pads. The rears were changed at about 80K, during one of my normal service visits. Not sure if the rear pads were worn out, but suspect the rotors were corroded from the inside. I've got a brand new set of front rotors and pads sitting in a box (from Merlin, of course) for my next service visit. My brakes are not all they used to be either, but I can still force the ABS to function if I brake really hard.
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

Quote Originally Posted by RickOKC View Post
    Hi H3_VX, CLICK HERE to download a PDF of the Owner's Manual. The Scheduled Maintenance chart is on page 131 of 189.

My brake pads are in good condition and yet it's just plain not what I'm used to! I drove 2 other VXs before I bought mine and the braking seemed the same on all 3. The test drive on the 2nd one was funny - the owner was in the passenger seat and I kept giving him the "Mom Arm" every time I misjudged stopping distance until I got used to it!
    Thanks rickokc. Luckily, the seller still had all the manuals in the car. I figured she wouldn't. so i'm all good now.