Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Time to get an easy out kit...Errrr.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenezr View Post
    I did check the fuel pressure as mentioned above. It was 38 with key on and 32-34 with the engine on. I'm thinking now that may be low. Does anyone know what it should be. I can't seem to dig up this info.
    Is it possible it was just checked during one of those "good" moments though?

And the downloadable manual suggests that "Key On" fuel pressure should be between 333-376 kpa (48-55 psi).

If the problem is intermittent like you described, who knows if even the comparably low pressures you read remain constant under actual load/driving conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    Is it possible it was just checked during one of those "good" moments though?

And the downloadable manual suggests that "Key On" fuel pressure should be between 333-376 kpa (48-55 psi).

If the problem is intermittent like you described, who knows if even the comparably low pressures you read remain constant under actual load/driving conditions.
    Hmm. I am curiious where you found that in the manual.? I couldn't find it. Thinkin then I should go for FPR replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenezr View Post
    Hmm. I am curiious where you found that in the manual.? I couldn't find it. Thinkin then I should go for FPR replacement.
    My initial search term was "fuel pressure", and when following one of the "fuel pressure regulator" search results, I saw a link that said "fuel system diagnosis". After that I used "fuel system diagnosis" as my search term, and the fuel pressure readings were listed under a few different topics.

Most of the results were in section 6E - Engine\ 6VE1 3.5L Engine Driveability and Emissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    My initial search term was "fuel pressure", and when following one of the "fuel pressure regulator" search results, I saw a link that said "fuel system diagnosis". After that I used "fuel system diagnosis" as my search term, and the fuel pressure readings were listed under a few different topics.

Most of the results were in section 6E - Engine\ 6VE1 3.5L Engine Driveability and Emissions.
    Thanks. I bumped into similar info googling it.

Well I didn't need an easy out. Just took a 12mm nut and screwed it down on the remaining broken bolt then filled it with weld creating a new bolt head. It worked and I backed the bolt out.

might want to run a tap in it.

I tested my coil packs with a meter. I wasn't really sure what the numbers told me, but found out that none of my coils were bad.....

Here is my post, and directions. As it turned out, I had a plugged cat converter, after blown head gasket. You might have a muffler shop test your exhaust pressure. Crazy sounding I know.....cat converter causing po300, but that's what it was.

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthr...t=Coil+testing

Or type in "coil pack testing resistance" in search.
    Last edited by IndianaVX : 08/13/2011 at 08:58 PM Reason: Found link to my post

Re reading your post again, I would defiantly have your exhaust pressure checked. I found a muffler shop that charged like 15 bucks to test pre and post cat pressures. He drilled small holes in the pipe for his tester, then welded the holes back up. but some shops may use 02 sensor holes. My truck idled fine and ran fin to q out 30 mph. Also check the big nut on bottom of EGR, where the tube goes into the plenum under EGR.
    Again, good luck

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaVX View Post
    Re reading your post again, I would defiantly have your exhaust pressure checked. I found a muffler shop that charged like 15 bucks to test pre and post cat pressures. He drilled small holes in the pipe for his tester, then welded the holes back up. but some shops may use 02 sensor holes. My truck idled fine and ran fin to q out 30 mph. Also check the big nut on bottom of EGR, where the tube goes into the plenum under EGR.
    Again, good luck
    Thanks. Both cats are fairly new. Less than a year. I'm getting suspicious of fuel press I googled info which seems to say my pressure is too low so today's project is to break I I mean fix the fpr .

Well I think the verdict just came in. I took the VX into town for its 2 week trans check and it gently misfired and set codes about 8 times all the way there. (about 8 miles). I had an hour to blow so I had an oil change place clean the injectors and throttle body. No misfires and no code setting all the way home.

Nice! Perhaps add some BG 44k to help clean out the rest of the system as well.

Especially nice when the fix turns out to be a halfway easy one with no specialized tools required.