Thread: TOD and no rear driveshaft....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I agree, but that does not mean it can analyze, react, actuate the electric clutch in the transfer case and send power to the front that fast. That would take much longer, even with a fast processor, needless to say I doubt early-mid 90s technology was up to the task on a passenger vehicle.
    Oh, sure enough... the number was just thrown out because it was the the only one I found that mentioned computer speed (Hopefully that was actually released by Isuzu and isn't some "friend of a friend who works for an Isuzu dealership" thing.) I was also thinking, "but what is the final reaction time?" the instant I saw it.

And, like I said, I'm very much looking forward to the opinion of first hand experience from someone who has lotsa more time on snow in various 4x4 vehicles. All I know is I was hoping I could get out of my driveway... then down the street... then up the hill to the main road... then to work... then it was 5 hours later and I'd had a blast! All the while, TOD seemed smooth to me. The only reason I went (rushed!) home is because the crazies came out en mass and I became afraid the probability of someone bouncing off my cladding had become very, very high.

Hey, I keep seeing references to "12 sensors" that control TOD - would all of them be within the transfer case? I wish I had bookmarked more items when I first started researching the VX. I could have sworn that also included the ABS sensors, but I've read messages here that make it sound like TOD is unaffected by a dead ABS sensor.

Those 12 sensors would have to be somewhere in the transfer case. I cut the wires and pulled the fuse for my ABS, TOD works fine when I have my hubs locked in. Its not in the tranny, I did a tranny swap, JoeD did a tranny swap with a tranny from an OLD rodeo, it was old enough it still had the dipstick. No problems. I have had the front axle off, no plugs there.

My experience with TOD is limited to gravel. It would not let me drift, which made for slow going. Instead of allowing the rear end to kick out so you can power through a turn, it forced the front tires to spin, which in turn drove the front to slide as power was shifted to the front wheels, which of course is disaster in a corner.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson