Thread: Is the vx a reliable daily driver?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    These are the two vehicles I'm considering. http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/2579246552.html
    http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/2537202154.html

I like the looks of the first one better but am wary about anything that has been modified at all. Do these readily accept bigger wheels and tires or is that going to cause problems? I also like that it is the last year of it. The first has the lowest miles but is the oldest. Any other thoughts for me? I'm planning on looking at both of them tomorrow.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by adsero View Post
    These are the two vehicles I'm considering. http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/2579246552.html
    http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/2537202154.html

I like the looks of the first one better but am wary about anything that has been modified at all. Do these readily accept bigger wheels and tires or is that going to cause problems? I also like that it is the last year of it. The first has the lowest miles but is the oldest. Any other thoughts for me? I'm planning on looking at both of them tomorrow.
    I have looked at both of these and I would not even consider the second one (99 Black in Castle Rock where I live). I has lots of rust and some other issues as well. This same place has a 2001 Kaiser that looks much better in the ad but I have not seen that one in person.

The Kaiser at Sharpest Rides was in good shape. It has the back interior plastic cut out under the cubby for the lug wrench. Not sure why anyone would cut that out, but it is just a big hole that goes all the way to the body panel. The windows bind on the VX passenger side. It sounds good and has a new windshield. The hood insert and hood are cut out for the scoop so you have to be okay with that. I would say it's worth about $7K.

Good luck with your search.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    I have looked at both of these and I would not even consider the second one (99 Black in Castle Rock where I live). I has lots of rust and some other issues as well. This same place has a 2001 Kaiser that looks much better in the ad but I have not seen that one in person.

The Kaiser at Sharpest Rides was in good shape. It has the back interior plastic cut out under the cubby for the lug wrench. Not sure why anyone would cut that out, but it is just a big hole that goes all the way to the body panel. The windows bind on the VX passenger side. It sounds good and has a new windshield. The hood insert and hood are cut out for the scoop so you have to be okay with that. I would say it's worth about $7K.

Good luck with your search.
    So I went and looked at the Kaiser today. It's rough as well. Major paint fading on the roof, hood has been "rolled" down like a small front impact, and a pretty good dent on the passenger side door frame above the middle of the window. Cladding is very faded and someone has "keyed" the driver side door and did a really good job...

Interior looked to be in good shape from what I could see looking into the windows and the badges were in good shape. Half-moon cladding has the "camera" space knocked out, but no camera is mounted there and it is missing some of the cladding screws. Don't know how it might run since they were closed today.

I didnt get all that KAT....what was that again???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Quote Originally Posted by don moore View Post
    I didnt get all that KAT....what was that again???
    funny man!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by deermagnet View Post
    I'm still in the process of evaluating the VX as a daily driver. So far I'm 11 years, 5 months, 11 days and 254,000 miles into my evaluation with no complaints. I'll let ya know when I get some conclusive results.

Mark Griffin (a VX lifer)
    Yeah ! i gonna have a cup of coffee,sit & wait .........long wait
    Dakar was just the begining.

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    So I went and looked at the Kaiser today. It's rough as well. Major paint fading on the roof, hood has been "rolled" down like a small front impact, and a pretty good dent on the passenger side door frame above the middle of the window. Cladding is very faded and someone has "keyed" the driver side door and did a really good job...

Interior looked to be in good shape from what I could see looking into the windows and the badges were in good shape. Half-moon cladding has the "camera" space knocked out, but no camera is mounted there and it is missing some of the cladding screws. Don't know how it might run since they were closed today.
    So THAT's what that little plastic rectangle removable but unreinsertable piece is for.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Milwaukee WI