Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: change exterior color

Question change exterior color

I am seriously considering an exterior color change. Not to another factory color but to something unique. My VX is a very solid car. No rust as it was in the Dallas, TX area all it's life. I am owner #3. No mechanical issues other than the ABS light which I don't give a damn. Interior is very clean...not showing it's 130K miles. It is currently black with black/gray insides. I am of the opinion there is little value with my mileage as high as it is already in the car being black or something else as long as it's painted right and of a color that works with the interior. Was leaning towards the new GM color that's almost black but is actually a very deep purple. Maybe also a charcoal grey metallic. Wondering what everyone else's take is on doing something this drastic. Also have already done the carbon fiber look on the hood insert with a local guy that does the Hydro thing.
    Last edited by cotterg : 09/08/2011 at 02:41 PM Reason: Add info.

Quote Originally Posted by cotterg View Post
    I am seriously considering an exterior color change. Not to another factory color but to something unique. My VX is a very solid car. No rust as it was in the Dallas, TX area all it's life. I am owner #3. No mechanical issues other than the ABS light which I don't give a damn. Interior is very clean...not showing it's 130K miles. It is currently black with black/gray insides. I am of the opinion there is little value with my mileage as high as it is already in the car being black or something else as long as it's painted right and of a color that works with the interior. Was leaning towards the new GM color that's almost black but is actually a very deep purple. Maybe also a charcoal grey metallic. Wondering what everyone else's take is on doing something this drastic. Also have already done the carbon fiber look on the hood insert with a local guy that does the Hydro thing.
    I'm not usually a fan of re-painting cars with colors other than factory ones, especially wicked rare cars like ours, but I have seen a couple sweet looking ones on here. That orange color that one member here has is awesome. A deep blue would be cool too. Look up Pacific Blue H2. See if you like that.
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

There have been several threads on this topic including VX's that have been painted different colors and what colors might work well.

I think the consensus is that it will reduce the value unless done well (everything painted including the door frames and under the cladding etc.) and that it will not increase value much if at all.

Most of the recolors that have been mentioned so far have been significantly different than the stock colors. What you are considering seems pretty subtle by comparison.

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

How about pearl white? There was actually one made that way from the factory.

If YOU like it, who cares what we or anyone else thinks.If done well and with taste (no pepto bismo pink) it will look good.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I agree with Billy. There are VX's out there with rhinoliner paint jobs, rattle can jobs etc. It's yours, do what you want with it. If it were me I'd pay the extra to have the door jams etc painted. I'd probably go with some shade of blue but that's just me. I'm also a fan of the satin finishes. Different is always cool with me.

It's YOURS - paint it whatever damned color you think you can live with! My only advice is to IMAGINE waking up and looking at whatever color you paint it EVERY DAY for as long as you THINK you're gonna own it; make sure that you don't think you're gonna wake up one day and say: "What the hell was *I* thinking?!"

A big advantage that you have with the black is that the areas that you CAN see from inside the vehicle (under the e-brake handle, for example) are BLACK, so by just doing the jambs and removing all the cladding, you'll have it pretty much covered. When I think about a color change on my Proton Yellow to something else, I realize that for ME, that means the ENTIRE disassembly of the vehicle, so unless I win the Powerball, it ain't gonna happen! Good luck - let us know what you come up with!

Man

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    I haven't seen a brown car in a long time. Looks like they used the old brown M&Ms as the color palette.
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

I agree with most of the other posts. When you have a base color of black you are in good shape to change the color.
    When I buy a house it’s because it has a "BIG" garage, bed room and bath. Not because it has red brick outside, or brown siding. It’s the big things that count.
    Personally I love Pepto Pink, but only medicinally not on a car.
    Another point is when you are done playing at the end of the day. Your VX it is usually the color of dirt which is the appropriate color for a VX.

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    I haven't seen a brown car in a long time. Looks like they used the old brown M&Ms as the color palette.
    The one in the Moab pics is far from brown and looked really good in person. That is wyldweasal on the forum and the color is an actual Isuzu color...Ithink it was something like sunburst orange metalic and came on the Amigo's and maybe Rodeo's.

Quote Originally Posted by cotterg View Post
    Was leaning towards the new GM color that's almost black but is actually a very deep purple.
    Since you like the dark purple shades, please also consider the 2006 MINI Cooper color of "PURPLE HAZE" (it's simply gorgeous)!!!

Where the heck is that JDM brochure? (Hope someone will post it!) While we only had 7 colors to choose from in the US, the Japanese VXs were available in about 25 colors and every one of them looked great!

Cotterg - you sound like you intend to keep your VX forever, so I think you should do what makes you happy.

thanks and ???

Thanks for all the feedback. I have extensive experience in restoration of early (65-66) Mustangs but as you see am a newbie to the VX. Doing a color change..especially to a non factory one..on a Mustang would be a killer. No one would buy it and let's face it we all are likely to get in the selling mood sometime. If I paint this car it will be done right. Cladding off, door jambs, etc, and by a long time used shop and friend. It's going to mean I have about $8500 in the car after paint, new windshield, a couple other small tweaks, and all. I just want to be sure in my head that if I proceed and do it "tastefully" for lack of a better word I can get out of it at some point in the future. It really is a nice car that drives and looks way better than 130K miles. Just has a lot of stone chips up front and small scratches all over. Way too much to touch up. Any critique is welcome.

I just bought the first bronze one and we are in the process of fixing up. The big and I mean big chrome push bar has to go but the color is great!