Thread: Ever had a root canal?

Ever had a root canal?

Anyone? It's looking like one may be in my not too distant future and I am none too happy about it. I've never even had a damned cavity before so I have no idea what to expect. Thoughts, opinions, suggestions, personal experiences?

1999 Astral 0074, 2001 Proton, 1999 Ebony, 1999 Astral 0163
    Ouch.....

Hi! I'm a dentist and have done many. You'll be anesthetised and probably find it uneventful. Plus your only alternative is extraction. You are also able to get a second opinion if you question the diagnosis. I hope this helps.
    Golfindoc

No...to answer your question and I don't want one either.

Quote Originally Posted by deermagnet View Post
    Yes, I did not take good care of my teeth in my youth.
    OK...now I'm curious. The "teeth in you mouth".... so where else do you gots teefs?

I've had one and the only time that was somewhat painful other then the needles to numb me was when he filled in the hole with whatever they used. That was the worst part for me. Anesthetic doesnt work really well on me though. They always have to use a lot and it doesnt fully work.
    --Dave

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    A less-than-excellent dentist can cause pain as well as other issues (Im not going to tell my tales of woe) -- be sure he/she comes with good recommendations. Get it done and you'll be fine.
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

I had 3 at one time

Quote Originally Posted by Anita View Post
    A less-than-excellent dentist can cause pain as well as other issues (Im not going to tell my tales of woe) -- be sure he/she comes with good recommendations. Get it done and you'll be fine.
    Of course with that comes anethesia. Felt no pain and quite frankly dont remember much of the rest of the day but small little moments. No pain the rest of teh time either but was given percoset so I guess it can happen. I know some people would pay for an experience like that.
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

Get it yanked and get an implant ($$$). A dead tooth in your mouth is useless and just goes down hill from there.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Yeah... I had to have both my front two teeth done. Eventually they degenerated and started to chip, then I had to get a bridge. Three of my front teeth were effected. Kinda sucked.

Hope yours turns out better.

I have had three and as others have said you'll feel nothing after the initial needle. In fact the worst part is a slightly aching jaw from keeping your mouth open for a while.

Trust me, you'll be fine.

Based on my experience, if you're dentist knows what he/she's doing, the most painful part will likely be the bill that you get afterwards.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    This thread reminded me of the time I was filling out the new patient form at the dentist office.

The question in question was:

What type of dentistry are you here for?

My answer was:

Hopefully "MODERN"...

You didn't opt for the primitive, barbaric style Dub? That's not right. No pain.... no gain. Brute force it.

I once had a filling done without a local. I had one prior for another filling, but we then decided that since that one went pretty quick, we had time to replace an old silver filling with a composite. I said, GO AHEAD. Of course, the local had run off by then and I sucked it up. I never told them it was painful since I didn't want to get a shot and wait another 15mins for it to take. Words can't express how uncomfortable that was, but I clearly hide pain quite well since they never noticed. It's all about crossing your feet at the ankles and keeping the tension in that squeeze, heh. Ya.... I'm a masochist.