Thread: Advice: Scissor Jack or Stabilizing bars??

Advice: Scissor Jack or Stabilizing bars??

We decided to sell our teardrop t@b travel trailer and get something a bit larger and more comfortable. A dealer was going out of business and liquidating inventory so we got a smokin' deal, and was able to sell our t@b in only one day.

The 16' t@b is a single axle, and has "stabilizer jacks" that were specifically NOT for leveling, but rather just to give the frame some support and prevent it from twisting. Trailer weight was 1,900 lbs.

The new trailer is 22', double axle, and does NOT come with any jacks. We notice some movement as we move about. So we're looking at both scissor jacks and stabilizer bars, and intend to permanently mount them.
    Trailer weight w/o cargo is 3,850 lbs.

We can't decide if we should go with scissor jacks or the stabilizing bars.. Also, should we do front and rear or just rear?
    Both models are now "lower profile" than in the past, which is a plus.
    The stabilizer bars actually look more stable to us. Dealership people weren't any real help on this.

Anybody have experience or a recommendation?

We're also looking at these "composite recycled rubber pad" jack pads that provides both absorption of vibration and insulation from the ground. We'd use them with either jack.
    https://www378.safesecureweb.com/bsr...plications.php

BAL lo profile scissor jack:
    5,000 lb

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BAL-S...#ht_678wt_1072

BAL Stabilizer Jacks:
    the model for 4,000 lb static load capacity:
    http://www.dyersonline.com/bal-25-c-...ks-2-pack.html

T@B stabilizer jacks: Obviously way less robust than the BAL stabilizer jacks.

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Sue, from an old caravanner from way back (owned my first van 38 years ago, and have had 4 different vans in that time) I will give you some good advice -

I have used both, and in my mind there is very little difference.

The scissor jack is more stable when only down a short distance, and not stable when down a long way.
    The stabiliser jack is not stable when only down a short distance, but very good when down a long way.
    Both have threads that require some form of dry lubrication that doesn't attract dust and dirt.
    Both should be on all 4 corners of a van that size.

Hope that helps.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

Sue,

I've recently revised our stabalizer approach on our 32' Coachman. I just put a jackstand on both back corners & then put a bottle jack centered in the front. That 'tripod' arrangement is stable and is the easiest approach I've found. The best part is that with your tongue jack already installed, you can eliminate the bottle jack.

Just get the thing as level as possible before you start but with a slight 'rear up bias'. Then level side to side with the rear jack stands. Then crank up the tongue till it's level and steady. You can get a cup thinggy to put the wheel in so it won't roll.

I picked up a set of 4 nested jackstands for about $20. The set only weighs a few pounds. Like these:

http://www.easternmarine.com/ULTRA-F...k-48-979004-0/
    Last edited by tom4bren : 09/20/2011 at 07:13 AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Sue,

I've recently revised our stabalizer approach on our 32' Coachman. I just put a jackstand on both back corners & then put a bottle jack centered in the front. That 'tripod' arrangement is stable and is the easiest approach I've found. The best part is that with your tongue jack already installed, you can eliminate the bottle jack.

Just get the thing as level as possible before you start but with a slight 'rear up bias'. Then level side to side with the rear jack stands. Then crank up the tongue till it's level and steady. You can get a cup thinggy to put the wheel in so it won't roll.

I picked up a set of 4 nested jackstands for about $20. The set only weighs a few pounds. Like these:

http://www.easternmarine.com/ULTRA-F...k-48-979004-0/

Thanks PK, that info is great. Def leaning toward the stabilizer jacks. Gotta check our underside and see if they'll require any extra holes etc...
    And Tom,with those separate, is it a PITA to store them? I thought something attached would be less hassle than storing and retrieving them etc.... The weight will be on board anyway, so attached or separate isn't that different I guess.
    Thanks guys! Appreciate the tips from you more "seasoned" caravaners!

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Sue,

I've recently revised our stabalizer approach on our 32' Coachman. I just put a jackstand on both back corners & then put a bottle jack centered in the front.
    What - no hydraulic stabilisers on that mansion on wheels??

You got ripped man.

PK

PK,

Yah, I was dreaming of an automatic system but then it turned into a nightmare when I started pricing the options.

KAT,

Of course, mounted is mo betta but I keep them in my dirty cubby so they don't take up any space in the 'Oh So valuable' clean storage. Wife prescribes to the old addage "It's better to have it & not need it than to need it & not have it". It actually takes the TV longer to autoscan than it does for me to level & stabalize.

The stands work nicely under my rear drag bars (hopefully soon to be replaced with HD wheels). Just set them & snug them up. The bottle jack up front does the rest (thank God since the RV weighs about 7 tons).