Thread: AC rattle/noise

AC rattle/noise

Hello,

I've got a grinding/vibration noise coming from the AC compressor...I used a stethoscope to isolate the source of the sound, and it does appear to be coming from the compressor. I did a search, and it looks like it's a pretty common issue for the 2001's.

Has anyone had luck replacing the bearings in the clutch pulley assembly? What about aftermarket units, has anyone tried recently to order one from a major autoparts store such as Autozone or O'Rileys? (I know about the problems in the past)

The unit works great other than the noise/vibration. Also, does anyone have a part number for a shorter belt that will allow me to bypass the AC unit all together?

Thanks!
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
    Hello,

I've got a grinding/vibration noise coming from the AC compressor...I used a stethoscope to isolate the source of the sound, and it does appear to be coming from the compressor. I did a search, and it looks like it's a pretty common issue for the 2001's.

Has anyone had luck replacing the bearings in the clutch pulley assembly? What about aftermarket units, has anyone tried recently to order one from a major autoparts store such as Autozone or O'Rileys? (I know about the problems in the past)

The unit works great other than the noise/vibration. Also, does anyone have a part number for a shorter belt that will allow me to bypass the AC unit all together?

Thanks!
    Dave
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...2FC+compressor

This one page has all that you could desire:
    -short belt length and size
    -compressor options
    -contact info on rebuild place that has my old one

I just searched on here for A/C compressor and well, there is a lot of info :-)

Thanks LittleBeast...I just bypassed the compressor with the Autozone equivalent belt that Willy suggested (Duralast 795K6) and all is nice and quiet again! Now starts the process of pulling the A/C unit off and getting the clutch bearing replaced!

My compressor just started the grinding / metal-on-metal noise recently. One of the "Celtic" metal hoops on the front of the compressor broke and I think it's causing the drive plate to tilt inward & rub. I just ordered a new OEM one the other day & plan to "hopefully" make the repair in place w/o removing the compressor. I expect this should fix it. If so, I think it should be a relatively cheap fix for around $70....