Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 7 inches of "out of the box" lift

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Ha thats funny because I'm 6'6" and I was just saying how easy it is to get in the VX now that it's "sized correctly"
    LOL! That's hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Rick, he's a frickin' giant (well, compared to you and me ).... in Moab in 2009 my flag pole on my Yakima BASKETwas sagging, and the metal connector kept coming unthreaded....I ask Jon for some help, after trying to jump up at it to fix it...since it's about 9" above the roofline....Jon walks over and tightens it all up, and it was basically at his arm level! Sure appreciated his height that day!
    Tall people make me so jealous! But it does keep me grounded in reality - I'm just so enormously, gigantically tall for my family I keep wondering if I'm adopted. But, the averages indicate "probably not!"

7 inches out of a box...I have read about those pills but never thought they really worked!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Yeah the 5" lift looks great! What mods did you have to do to fit the body pucks? Radiator and fan working alright together? Steering shaft? Shifters? Gas filler? Could you also lift the fuel tank or would it hit the frame?
    Surprisingly the VX is much easier to body lift than a Trooper as I was able to skip most of the steps & have a lot of left over parts. The gas filler hose is long enough but the shifters & radiator need some adjustment. I'm writing up the how-to this weekend so you'll get the full install soon. The fuel tank is mounted on the frame so it cannot move up

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    HAHAHA!!! its done sir... good job.

we still on schedule to go test it out?
    Sounds good, I want to see how it does on a trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    7 inches out of a box...I have read about those pills but never thought they really worked!
    Beware of side effects...

The lift looks great. Some questions for ya: What offset and rim width are you running? Also, was getting the linkage extended for the auto-tranny hard with the 3" BL? Planning on upgrading gears or already have?

Quote Originally Posted by espidus View Post
    The lift looks great. Some questions for ya: What offset and rim width are you running? Also, was getting the linkage extended for the auto-tranny hard with the 3" BL? Planning on upgrading gears or already have?
    I thought the wheels were 0mm but I bought a 5th wheel/rim with 0mm and it doesn't match the rest of the wheels. I'm pretty sure the rims are 15x8 with -12mm offset. Having more offset has helped with getting the front wheels to fit while turning.

You dont need to extend the auto linkage, just adjust & its very easy. The transfer case shifter needs to be extended and there are a couple ways to do this.

I haven't re-geared yet & can still get up to 75mph on the highway pretty easily. I have a 12 bolt 3rd sitting in my garage with an ARB locker and 4.56 gearing that I'll install next spring along with a matching front 10 bolt.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    I have a 12 bolt 3rd sitting in my garage with an ARB locker and 4.56 gearing that I'll install next spring along with a matching front 10 bolt.
    So you're going with an ARB Airlocker and a set of 4.54s out of an old Trooper?

Bart

By my calculation your tires should stick out about 3.4" more than stock. Would you say that is right? You dont happen to have a front pic showing how much the tires stick out of the cladding do ya?

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    So you're going with an ARB Airlocker and a set of 4.54s out of an old Trooper?

Bart
    You got it, I found a great deal about a month ago on craiglist. I think i'll buy a 10 bolt with an ARB from Indy4x rather than having an open diff front.

By my calculation your tires should stick out about 3.4" more than stock. Would you say that is right? You dont happen to have a front pic showing how much the tires stick out of the cladding do ya?
    Thats probably about right on the difference from stock. I can take a picture a post it after work tonight.

Thanks, I want to make sure that my ride looks good after the planned upgrade. It will help me decide on rims. I do not want to have the mentioned "offset from hell" look talked about here on the forums ( Tom4Bren, no offense ).

Either way you go, that looks awesome and I am sure with the lower angle the CV's will perform and hopefully last better and longer :-) Nicely done I am a huge fan. My next car will probably be an Ironman VX :-) Makes me impatient on ordering my 35's though. I still need to wear my 33's down a little more, haha!

Thanks, I want to make sure that my ride looks good after the planned upgrade. It will help me decide on rims. I do not want to have the mentioned "offset from hell" look talked about here on the forums ( Tom4Bren, no offense ).
    I took some pics with my cell & i'll post them tonight if the quality is okay, otherwise I will use a better camera & post some pics tomorrow. To be honest, I plan on buying rims with 0 mm or +6 mm offset in the near future. I like the tire to be at the wheel well edge or just slightly past it and my tires stick out a bit to much.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    Either way you go, that looks awesome and I am sure with the lower angle the CV's will perform and hopefully last better and longer :-) Nicely done I am a huge fan. My next car will probably be an Ironman VX :-) Makes me impatient on ordering my 35's though. I still need to wear my 33's down a little more, haha!
    Yeah those mud grapplers last a surprisingly long time.

Looks great at 5" of lift. I usually dislike body lifts, but that looks good and the decreased wear on parts has me considering it now. If I have trouble clearing my 35's when I get 'em I'll probably look into a small body lift and dropping the suspension down just a bit.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    What's going on here.....

Or am I looking at it wrong?

Looks like that crown nut is way to short and the bj shaft has walked down the spindle a bit. When the nut is tight the cotter pin should be in one of the slots not sitting on top as it is. My aftermarket bj had the shorter nut so I reused the stock nut on mine. Wow, that was a lot of talk about bj's and nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    What's going on here.....

Or am I looking at it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Looks like that crown nut is way to short and the bj shaft has walked down the spindle a bit. When the nut is tight the cotter pin should be in one of the slots not sitting on top as it is. My aftermarket bj had the shorter nut so I reused the stock nut on mine. Wow, that was a lot of talk about bj's and nuts!
    Bravo, very astute. I was wondering if anyone would notice that .

I purchased the ebay special ball joint kit when I was doing my diff drop work earlier this year and found that they sent me the wrong kit because the lower BJs were shorter than the ones needed for a VX. I then ordered a higher quality set of lower BJs & kept the ebay uppers. When installing the uppers I noticed the cotter pin was too low to lock the castle nut, so being anxious to get the VX on the road I used some thread lock to secure the nut & decided to replace the uppers at another time.

I recently notice I have too much positive camber which must be from the upper balljoints as I didn't have any problems with camber prior to their install. I'll actually be installing new uppers this week & then taking the VX for an alignment since I just adjusted the torsion bar lift.