Thread: Advice Needed - Afraid to Turn / Rollover

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    What VX? Rodeo Crew Cab, Jackaroo chassis, Supercharged 3.5, Navara tub (!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    I've got this same problem. And this was happening before my new OME 913s, wheels and tires.

It's like this. At any speed above say 40mph or so, if I hit bumps, the rear tires don't feel like they track correctly and land out of plane with my direction of travel. It's kind of hairy. Can't tell if this is happening in the front also, because the yaw from the rear is far more pronounced.

The bumps don't need to be huge. At all. Just enough turbulence to left the tires and I'm feeling it. So I can't imagine that the bump stops are coming into play here. Especially after my lift.

My wrench says sway bar. Does this still sound right to those of you in the know here? Also, The Energy Suspension bushings, are those that JoFotoz listed still the optimal choice? And while I have my wallet out for the sway and bushings (if indeed that's the collective response here), are they any other tidbits like new bump stops (suggested model?) I should get BEFORE I go full monty and do the shocks? Remember, OME913s and 285/65 R18s.

I welcome the wisdom.
    -V
    What LDub says but something else to maybe consider: Mine (NOT a VX) used to give you a 'corkscrew' feeling over speed bumps & the like when it first hit the road - a session on a four wheel alignment machine showed the rear axle was at a slight angle in the chassis, showing 10mm of toe over the 3100mm wheelbase. This moved what the operator called the 'drive angle' slightly off centre, which made the car corkscrew as it corrected itself.
    The operator (with vast experience setting up race/rally/drift cars) described drive angle as a equilateral triangle drawn from the rear axle the length of the wheelbase, the 'point' of which was the axle centreline. This point needed to be a close as possible to the centre point between the front wheels.
    What I'd done when building the car was tighten up the rear links while the car was on stands - loosening all the links with the cars weight on the suspension and rocking the car the axle squared itself and problem solved.
    The answer is more power! What was the question?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbomaz View Post
    What LDub says but something else to maybe consider: Mine (NOT a VX) used to give you a 'corkscrew' feeling over speed bumps & the like when it first hit the road - a session on a four wheel alignment machine showed the rear axle was at a slight angle in the chassis, showing 10mm of toe over the 3100mm wheelbase. This moved what the operator called the 'drive angle' slightly off centre, which made the car corkscrew as it corrected itself.
    The operator (with vast experience setting up race/rally/drift cars) described drive angle as a equilateral triangle drawn from the rear axle the length of the wheelbase, the 'point' of which was the axle centreline. This point needed to be a close as possible to the centre point between the front wheels.
    What I'd done when building the car was tighten up the rear links while the car was on stands - loosening all the links with the cars weight on the suspension and rocking the car the axle squared itself and problem solved.
    That's some good info...VXinfo that is, right there Mr Rob....

What VX? Rodeo Crew Cab, Jackaroo chassis, Supercharged 3.5, Navara tub (!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    That's some good info...VXinfo that is, right there Mr Rob....
    Thankyewvellymuch
    It felt very odd on my truck with maybe a metre more wheelbase, would have been a whole lot more 'entertaining' on a short VX

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbomaz View Post
    Thankyewvellymuch
    It felt very odd on my truck with maybe a metre more wheelbase, would have been a whole lot more 'entertaining' on a short VX
    Yep, when I had "the wagglies" back there, it would "get interesting" to the point where it would pitch left & right hard enough to get me outta the skinny...

Cruise control wasn't used during that period.