Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Buying a VX and sending to Mongolia. HELP!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    In addn to what Swede say, a winter survival kit, which should include extra warm boots, gloves, clothing etc. Chocolate bars , blankets, cel phon...

You prolly know all this stuff already...

Dang dyslexia...every time I read the title of this thread, it looks like "Buying a VX and sending to MAGNOLIA...

All I have to say, is please remain a member and post pics of your Mongolian adventures!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    All I have to say, is please remain a member and post pics of your Mongolian adventures!

Bart
    x2

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid1098 View Post
    I have about a year to a year and a half to build it up to spec so I do not get stranded in weather that presumably can get to -40 degrees. Average coldest temps get to about -15F or so.
    Maybe you should consider adding heaters to your seats. I've attached a 'How2' that someone wrote up a few years back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Hybrid1098, Best of luck with your VX endeavors. I believe the Vehicross will always and forever be my favorite vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Dang dyslexia...every time I read the title of this thread, it looks like "Buying a VX and sending to MAGNOLIA...
    LOL, I have similar issues lots and lots since I broke my head and had a bad concussion earlier this summer. My friend on FB said she had a busy day and I thought she said "busty".
    42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    Unfortunately, there is nowhere on a VX to use a Hi-Lift, but it can be used as a winch!
    Vixer Fixer

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Larson View Post
    Unfortunately, there is nowhere on a VX to use a Hi-Lift, but it can be used as a winch!
    Good point. I am used to having sliders etc. to use a Hi-Lift on...so I will add a recommendation for sliders and a receiver hitch...so you can use the Hi-Lift.

And/or, get a Lift-Mate http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/lift-mate.html
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

thanks everyone for the kind words. Yes I will definitely remain a forum member and will most assuredly post pics of Mongolia.

When I went there a month ago, I got to shoot an RPG onto some tires (although I missed) and that was a real treat. Apparently I can and will be able to shoot out of a tank as well. Pretty crazy stuff.

Most of the things noted here I actually do not know since I am a city guy and have no experience with much 4x4. I actually had to look up the jargon such as hi-lift and block heaters so please be kind to the noob hehe.

But I did write a list of some of the few things I will be doing when I get it. Please feel free to post up more comments and suggestions to what else I should be bringing with me.

Things that will be done as soon as I get the vehicle or when it is finally needed:

timing belt and water pump
    brakes
    tranny fluid, clutch fluid, flush system and syn oil, brake fluid,
    fuel pump, regulator, filter
    cv boots x4
    alternator
    battery
    ignition
    tranny - switch to stick (based on a writeup i just read)
    check for oil consumption and fix accordingly
    Add heated seats
    Optima red top battery (highest CCA)

I am going to look to see how much to get a spare engine would cost over there and if it is much cheaper here then I may just upgrade the engine and see if I can fit other engines or just buy another stock 3.5 from somewhere.

I am very excited to be a part of this board as it seems everyone here is great.

Thing is, it's really hard sometimes to access the site. A lot of the times I cannot access the forum from my browser.

I do plan on lifting and putting some bigger meat (hopefully not needing to do the gears) and will look into copying Tenman's or Ldub's SUV.

How much do you think this will all run me?

Any other suggestions?

forgot to mention bushings for suspension, engine and other stuff but don't know which to get but i guess when the time comes i will...

I guess bumpstops need to be extended... Don't really know what they are yet. Cant figure it out from pictures haha.

Anybody in Los Angeles area want to come with me to purchase the vehicle? I can pick you up! =)

Regarding fluid swaps, remember the TOD transfer case has it's own fluid reservoir that should be changed also, ATF as I recall. ("Transfer case" is the mechanism that splits the power and sends it to the front wheels as well as the rear, for 4WD).

Also suggest changing the gear oil in the front and rear differentials for synthetic. (Note: the rear differential is a limited-slip unit that may need anti-chatter additive to the fluid. Some synthetic fluids say the additive is not needed...you can always try it and add the additive if the rear diff "chatters" at times).
    Last edited by BigSwede : 10/16/2011 at 06:15 AM

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
    Good point. I am used to having sliders etc. to use a Hi-Lift on...so I will add a recommendation for sliders and a receiver hitch...so you can use the Hi-Lift.

And/or, get a Lift-Mate http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/lift-mate.html
    Sorry for a bit of .

But hey, all ya gotta do is position it at the top of the wheel arch & just jack away...

I actually witnessed a guy doing this a few years back...he was trying to change a flat tire, & didn't have a clue that it would not only wrinkle up his sheet metal, but the jack was in the way when he tried to remove the tire....
    I watched in disbelief as the fender wrinkled & crushed as he just kept jacking.
    A textbook example of "not think'n it all the way through"...

Don't be that guy...

As previously stated here, a High-Lift Jack may not be the best jack for the VX due to the lack of bumper anchor points and our somewhat very fragile body cladding.

A much better alternative jack for the VX is the "Titan Exhaust Jack". Click-on the "link" below for more information regarding this very cool vehicle jack that is perfect for the VX.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16814

Thanks again for more valuable advice.

I was planning on doing the Hi-lift and adding the Rocky mountain (or something) sliders which can be used as a step too and jack the car on there but those Titan Air Jacks look impressive and easy to carry.

Hey Big Swede, my sister lives in Minneapolis but very close to Minnetonka. Forgot her neighborhood.

Are the Differentials, axles and TOD reliable?

So far I see myself changing the transmission, engine and suspension in the next year or two. On top of that all the little goo balls that go with it such as timing belt and gaskets and window regulator etc.

This sounds like about a $10,000 budget...