Thread: Buying a VX and sending to Mongolia. HELP!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Buying a VX and sending to Mongolia. HELP!

Hello everyone,

First post with a healthy amount of questions. I have scoured the search options and have just read the forum from afar and decided to jump in and introduce myself.

Well as the title states, I am buying a 2000 VX with over 120,000 miles and am planning on taking her to the coldest national capital on earth which is Ulaan Bataar in Mongolia. I have about a year to a year and a half to build it up to spec so I do not get stranded in weather that presumably can get to -40 degrees. Average coldest temps get to about -15F or so.

I plan on lifting a small amount (3-5") and putting larger tires but do not want to tax the cars suspension too much. I will be taking this through the Mongolian outback and it will get taxed.

I am a car/motorcycle guy that tries to go to the track whenever budget/time permits and do not have much 4x4 knowledge. You're kind insights is appreciated...

So here it is...

I am wondering if you guys can give me recommendations as to

1. what things I should watch out for (especially for things that pertain to the weather condition and all around use/need).

2. Am I an idiot to choose the Vehicross to bring to a very cold climate (I know no heated seats, will be very hard to source parts).

3. how much to spend rough estimate to replace things that need to be replaced and buy secondary ones for things that will soon beak down.

4. Since Vehicle has over 120,000 miles, I was thinking of actually bringing an extra engine but Since Rodeo's engine can be replaced, that would be a little easy to source.

5. I plan on lifting it and drive it over water (small rivers, mountains, in snow and ice. My main concern here is reliability, starting in cold weather, durability in cold weather and not getting stranded in a remote place somewhere in Mongolia.

Am I going to shoot myself in the foot if I go this route or should I just buy an FJ cruiser or something with the same money? My wife's uncle in Mongolia has a Vehicross and we drove it through a small river and mudding and it was great! I fell in love with it and want to have my own. I have been asking him questions which is why I am confident in purchasing this beautiful Vehicle but still appreciates other people's input.

Thanks for the help and hope to be able to show you the progressions of my build (if it happens) throughout the year.

Last edited by Hybrid1098 : 10/13/2011 at 03:40 AM