Background: I read about VX's but never had the $$ when I was in college, years later in 06 I was on the list to be one of the first to buy an FJ Cruiser in NC. I had a blast with it and off roaded my brand new toy immediately, then I bought something bigger and traded it in after a few years (bad mistake). Fast forward into our current depression and so my days of buying new cars are long gone. Over the last couple years we have been driving pretty cheap cars.

Recently I sold my old truck and we started looking for a little SUV for the wife. I was up all night on craigslist looking for deals and something reminded me of the VX's. I did a search and nothing came up, then I found a recent ad that had everything mispelled, which is why the normal search didnt work. It was a low price compared to the current ebay offerings so I almost wet myself. My wife and I were sooo excited, its all we could talk about the next day.

Long Story, Short: I bought a 99 Ebony with less than 100k miles with a new small block installed...he said used $2500 engine from Japan. Odometer says 152K. During the purchase process and especially afterwards, I found all kinds of issues that are going to need to be fixed. Basically everything the previous owner touched, he screwed up. My $1000 budget for parts is already gone and I dont even have a tag!!! I replaced all 4 mis matched tires with TOYO's because I was worried about the trans and TOD.

So far this forum/owners have been great!! I just want to thank you guys/gals for all the knowledge and insight. Its the only thing thats motivating me right now to keep this VX, Save $$, do the work myself and put this baby back together again the way she deserves. If I repair this car, I'm almost certain we will never sell it.

So below is my ever growing TO DO LIST in order of importance:
(PLEASE CHIME IN IF YOU THINK I CAN DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT/BETTER)

1. Clear p0440 so I can pass emissions and get a TAG (already installed aftermarket gas cap...CEL came back on after being cleared, 100 miles later)

2. I have tons of play in the steering...Replace both front wheel bearings (purchased parts at Autozone for $120) The CV axles can wait for now.

3. Replace 3 nuts in front suspension that are mis sized or missing

EDIT: I also need to get my ABS light and BRAKE light off somehow

4 Add a back seat! I would really like to replace all the seats.

5. Oil change

6. GatorBlack Cladding ( prob $100 )

7. Heres the fun part, the IDIOT slammed the VX into 4 LOW on the interstate so the mechanic removed part of the driveshaft that powers the front wheel drive. I have the part, its as long as my arm and its in the back seat. Who even knows whats broken?

8. Replace headlight gaskets, which he removed when he added LED rings to the headlights.

9. Replace the fog lights because his are too big, almost burned out and stuck in there with freakin chewing gum (WTF)

10. Re install front cladding because he's a moron

11. Replace back, interior spare tire cover...because its GONE!

12. Figure out how he had a 110, back up camera, gps and aftermarket radio installed, all screwed up with missing pieces and wires in the dash

13. Replace back tire cover on door where he cut a hole for his back up camera OMG!

14. Repair both windows.

15. Add window tint

16. Be glad I rescued this VX before he installed the SUNROOF (prob with a freakin Chainsaw) that he was so excited to tell me about in broken english

So Far I have put on $820 in tires/alignment, replaced 3 bulbs, degreased the engine, cleaned everything and purchased the wheel bearings, wiper blades.

The car came with a new belt and new radiator because a oil line broke where it hooked up to the radiator (what??)

So the question is, should I stay the course and dump way more money into this thing than I even have right now or do a little at a time?? BUDGET IS TIGHT and we are sharing my daily driver currently.

Any short cuts and advice are much appreciated, my name is Josh and thanks for letting me share