Thread: Therepy Session-time to vent

Therepy Session-time to vent

Background: I read about VX's but never had the $$ when I was in college, years later in 06 I was on the list to be one of the first to buy an FJ Cruiser in NC. I had a blast with it and off roaded my brand new toy immediately, then I bought something bigger and traded it in after a few years (bad mistake). Fast forward into our current depression and so my days of buying new cars are long gone. Over the last couple years we have been driving pretty cheap cars.

Recently I sold my old truck and we started looking for a little SUV for the wife. I was up all night on craigslist looking for deals and something reminded me of the VX's. I did a search and nothing came up, then I found a recent ad that had everything mispelled, which is why the normal search didnt work. It was a low price compared to the current ebay offerings so I almost wet myself. My wife and I were sooo excited, its all we could talk about the next day.

Long Story, Short: I bought a 99 Ebony with less than 100k miles with a new small block installed...he said used $2500 engine from Japan. Odometer says 152K. During the purchase process and especially afterwards, I found all kinds of issues that are going to need to be fixed. Basically everything the previous owner touched, he screwed up. My $1000 budget for parts is already gone and I dont even have a tag!!! I replaced all 4 mis matched tires with TOYO's because I was worried about the trans and TOD.

So far this forum/owners have been great!! I just want to thank you guys/gals for all the knowledge and insight. Its the only thing thats motivating me right now to keep this VX, Save $$, do the work myself and put this baby back together again the way she deserves. If I repair this car, I'm almost certain we will never sell it.

So below is my ever growing TO DO LIST in order of importance:
    (PLEASE CHIME IN IF YOU THINK I CAN DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT/BETTER)

1. Clear p0440 so I can pass emissions and get a TAG (already installed aftermarket gas cap...CEL came back on after being cleared, 100 miles later)

2. I have tons of play in the steering...Replace both front wheel bearings (purchased parts at Autozone for $120) The CV axles can wait for now.

3. Replace 3 nuts in front suspension that are mis sized or missing

EDIT: I also need to get my ABS light and BRAKE light off somehow

4 Add a back seat! I would really like to replace all the seats.

5. Oil change

6. GatorBlack Cladding ( prob $100 )

7. Heres the fun part, the IDIOT slammed the VX into 4 LOW on the interstate so the mechanic removed part of the driveshaft that powers the front wheel drive. I have the part, its as long as my arm and its in the back seat. Who even knows whats broken?

8. Replace headlight gaskets, which he removed when he added LED rings to the headlights.

9. Replace the fog lights because his are too big, almost burned out and stuck in there with freakin chewing gum (WTF)

10. Re install front cladding because he's a moron

11. Replace back, interior spare tire cover...because its GONE!

12. Figure out how he had a 110, back up camera, gps and aftermarket radio installed, all screwed up with missing pieces and wires in the dash

13. Replace back tire cover on door where he cut a hole for his back up camera OMG!

14. Repair both windows.

15. Add window tint

16. Be glad I rescued this VX before he installed the SUNROOF (prob with a freakin Chainsaw) that he was so excited to tell me about in broken english

So Far I have put on $820 in tires/alignment, replaced 3 bulbs, degreased the engine, cleaned everything and purchased the wheel bearings, wiper blades.

The car came with a new belt and new radiator because a oil line broke where it hooked up to the radiator (what??)

So the question is, should I stay the course and dump way more money into this thing than I even have right now or do a little at a time?? BUDGET IS TIGHT and we are sharing my daily driver currently.

Any short cuts and advice are much appreciated, my name is Josh and thanks for letting me share

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    First off Josh...a starting price would help.....

...if you are seriously asking "whats it worth to put in"

Yer original Dollar input would help.

Obviously ya got LOTS 'o problems...

...but, initially, at the right price...it can be ALL GOOD.

Fill in the BIG blanks.......Please!

Jo
    Last edited by JoFotoz : 10/21/2011 at 11:44 PM
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by bearandbee : 10/23/2011 at 06:36 PM

Obviously if you're planning on keeping it fixing the mechanical problems are top priority. Cosmetic things like the cladding can wait a while. 1, 2, 3, and 5 would be things I personally would do right away. After that the rest is mostly cosmetic according to the list you have provided.
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

Welcome Josh- Lots of info and experience here to help you fix it all up.
    Here's some references for you to get you started on your list.

~EDIT: I also need to get my ABS light and BRAKE light off somehow
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showpos...5&postcount=13
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showpos...4&postcount=12

6. Gatorback info.....should be low on your priority list IMHO
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showthr...gatorback+mike

Extensive info on "cladding", here's just one long thread:

7. Heres the fun part, the IDIOT slammed the VX into 4 LOW on the interstate so the mechanic removed part of the driveshaft that powers the front wheel drive. I have the part, its as long as my arm and its in the back seat. Who even knows whats broken?
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showpos...7&postcount=11

8. Replace headlight gaskets, which he removed when he added LED rings to the headlights.
    These aren't "necessary"...I ran for almost 2 yrs w/o them, no problems. Can order new ones through "Merlin". He's our parts guru!
    Merlin
    St. Charles Isuzu
    MISSOURI
    (800) 727-8066
    Mention the forum to get discount & free shipping.

9. Replace the fog lights because his are too big, almost burned out and stuck in there with freakin chewing gum (WTF)
    ASSUMING you're talking about the front round marker lights in front bumper:
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showpos...38&postcount=8

11. Replace back, interior spare tire cover...because its GONE!
    13. Replace back tire cover on door where he cut a hole for his back up camera OMG! (Are you talking about the exterior part of the rear tailgate here?)
    Not sure but "bob barker" may still have the interior back door cover available.
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showthr...hlight=muffler

14. Repair both windows.
    This post is way too long but has a ton of threads regarding this, but you can keep it for reference.
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...92&postcount=3

Good luck and remember there's a ton of really smart peeps here that can help you on this stuff!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

GREAT INFO, thanks EVERYONE!!! If anyone has any other ideas on passing emissions with the check engine light, just let me know.

Not sure how I pass emissions now. I just took my check engine and ABS bulbs out 4 years ago and have never had any problems. Of course I know the guy that dos the emissions testing.

Your ABS light is no biggie. With the VX, you're better off without it (don't ask how I know). I'd just remove the bulb & call it done.

The brake light you mentioned bothers me though. Is it on just because the brake fluid is low? Are the brakes FUBAR? Dive into the brake situation quick. That should be your highest priority.

The play in the steering could be a simple fix. There is an adjustment on the top of the steering box to take out the backlash of the worm gear. Loosen the lock nut - adjust the set screw - tighten the lock nut.

Grab the shop manual from the download section & start looking into each problem one at a time.
    Last edited by tom4bren : 10/22/2012 at 04:13 AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Update! Worked on the VX all weekend, til 5 am Sunday in fact. Replaced front wheel bearings and seals plus adjusted steering...I'm going to tighten a little more but the difference is incredible.
    Miracle of the week, it passed inspection, no CEL!
    Added brake fluid which cleared brake light!
    Painted wiper arms and added new sexy blades.

Discovered oil leak from the engine that's dripping after driving and accumulated on front suspension then falls to driveway.
    Discovered our front pass axle is prob from an old trooper and has an auto locking hub on the end.

Because of all the mismatched bolts and the growl from the rusty muffler, we are naming him Frankenstein!

Glad to hear that you're making progress.

Remember to keep a close eye on your oil. The VX H8s low oil and you can sieze an engine reeeeeeal quick.

I've still got the OEM slug that was replaced with your auto locking hub. Lemme know if you need it when you get your transfer case working again.

Tom

So, Josh, how's that VX lookin'/drivin' after having it for almost a year now? Have you done all the stuff that you planned on doing from that little checklist of yours?

yeah...what a year...about 5k miles so far and a lot of work. Basically everything is fixed except my windows. Gatorback made a huge difference and thanks to the forum, I was able to buy used parts.

Cool, man. Congrats! I'm hoping to get all the mods I'm thinking about done within my first year of owning. I just bought the SBC brackets for my windows so next weekend I'll be installing them and fixing my windows once and for all!!!(if they arrive by then)

I have a modest list of mods that I will be doing to the VX to make it better equipped for my lifestyle.

yeah my drivers side window already had a partial fix by the PO. I could not get anything to work on it without starting over with new brackets. I'm going to try silicone next time before i take the door all the way apart again. Tonight we removed all the plastic interior and started repainting it with SEM L Black....looks freakin amazing! I was so impressed we may try to use a different color gray and spray paint the carpet. Also have some of that Leather Magic coming in the mail so within two weeks, we might just have a brand new interior!