Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Isuzu Impulse RS... another obsession begins.

I'm no expert on the 2nd gens, but as far as I know, the Geo Storms of the same time period are pretty much just rebadged Isuzu Impulses. Same running gear under the hood, etc. So yeah. I think parts for the JIs are likely a lot more common than the JRs, but still, you gotta find a good starter car before you even go down the parts trail.

Bart

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    The problem is, finding one will take some time, and you will likely have to travel for it. I was lucky, VXKAT was ever so kind enough to go check out the car for me and do the deed of buying and sending me the title. I still owe her several drinks!!! (thanks again, Sue!).
    Bart
    Was my pleasure Bart!
    The sellers even asked me to stay for dinner with them.
    Was fun to see one again because I'd carpooled in one for a while when I lived in LA.

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Nice Sue, I expect ya to do the same for me j/k

I think i'll keep my eyes peeled for a local Impulse RS to see if I like it. I know there are much better cars from the time period but I enjoy rare & possibly flawed vehicles more than the average DD.

I'll be getting another car by next summer. An impulse RS project would be great, otherwise I'll probably get an E46 BMW M3 or a Volvo S60R which cost a lot more but they're also track ready

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Nice Sue, I expect ya to do the same for me j/k

I think i'll keep my eyes peeled for a local Impulse RS to see if I like it. I know there are much better cars from the time period but I enjoy rare & possibly flawed vehicles more than the average DD.

I'll be getting another car by next summer. An impulse RS project would be great, otherwise I'll probably get an E46 BMW M3 or a Volvo S60R which cost a lot more but they're also track ready
    Hoping to get to check out a VX in Phoenix for another member in the next week or so.

M3....Mmmm, Dave had an '03 M3 coupe....wicked fun with paddle shifters

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    M3....Mmmm, Dave had an '03 M3 coupe....wicked fun with paddle shifters
    They're very cool cars & I love the styling with the wide body kit. I really want one but they are around $20k and I'm not too anxious to get back into car payments. The Volvo S60R is more like $10K, 4 doors (wife likes that), 300 hp, 6 speed manual, AWD, & an active chasis with hydraulic shocks. Then the impulse RS, $2K-??, AWD & rare. I think i'll start with the cheapest and work my way up because I don't think I can resist an M3 if I take one for a test drive

What would be more reasonably obtainable and blow the doors off most stuff would be to buy ANOTHER VX, drop it, put sports car suspension on it, chop off the back and make it a coupe. There's a project for you!

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    I don't think I can resist an M3 if I take one for a test drive
    Exactly! We were at the BMW dealership getting an oil change on my BMW X5, and they had an internet station in the waiting area...sooooooo, somebody started surfing....DAHAM if I didn't find a mighty fine M3 with less than 10k miles at a sports car boutique type place (like 7 miles away from where we were).....mine was done, I'm pulling out of the dealership.....stop...."Dave, do you wanna go Left or Right (home)?".........ummmm.... LEFT!!!!!!!!! .....ummm, we drove it home a few hrs later.......we're hopeless once behind the wheel!
    Ahhhhh, such fond memories.........er, um I mean.....

sorry for the t/j.....I was just drooling and reminiscing.....

Ok, so I'm hooked on the Impulse now. I came looking for a thread about them here and figured I'd find some. Love the 2nd gens. That front end is sick. Why am I always attracted to old cars that are few and far between? LOL
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

That, my friend, is a dangerous path to go down, especially for gen2 Impulses. I think they are even rarer than gen1 Impulses. In all the years I have spent messing around with Isuzus, I have seen 5-6 really clean gen1s, but I have NEVER seen a clean, unmolested gen2 come up for sale, ever. And I agree. The front clip of the gen2 is fantastic, but the rear end....wow, it all went wrong back there.

lol - Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    That, my friend, is a dangerous path to go down, especially for gen2 Impulses. I think they are even rarer than gen1 Impulses. In all the years I have spent messing around with Isuzus, I have seen 5-6 really clean gen1s, but I have NEVER seen a clean, unmolested gen2 come up for sale, ever. And I agree. The front clip of the gen2 is fantastic, but the rear end....wow, it all went wrong back there.

lol - Bart
    Oh, i'm not out looking for one.....right now. LOL. Yeah, the rear is less pretty. LOL. I still like though. Were all of them 5speeds? I wonder if there are some in junkyards that could be salvaged? BTW, not a fan of the HB version IIM.

Bart, did you ever get all those gremlins sorted out or was it hopele$$?

Anybody interested in the Impulse RS, a friend of mine. (Highmileage) or Adam Barrera, (check on facebook) has a beautiful 91 RS. I believe he has two other parts cars as well, if you have any questions about them, he is the man to answer those.