Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Isuzu Impulse RS... another obsession begins.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU

Isuzu Impulse RS... another obsession begins.

Recently I sold my Toyota Tundra for operation buy a house next year. It was great owning a truck but I really want a car that I can commute & track on the weekends. I recently stumbled across pictures of a Impulse RS & am starting to become hooked. Like the VX, they're very rare with less than 1000 produced. turbo charged, lotus suspension, AWD, limited slip rear.... its all sounding great. I think Bart has an earlier version of the RS but I'm not sure.

Unfortunately they are hard to find... if I come across one I may have to "impulse" buy one

Has anyone ever seen or driven one of these? I'm very curious how the perform.

Stop now! Nothing but frustration waits for you. I test drove one from a dealer in '92 and was obsessed ever since.
    I went through a phase when I really wanted one about three years ago. Lots of research, joined the forum surfed Craigslist and Autrader obsessively, and got very little traction.

If you search you will find project ones for $1-2K and realize that a lot of the parts can come from Geo Storms, but IT'S A TRAP! Most were sold up north and are rust buckets or abused.

I finally got to drive one (it is actually the blue one in your second picture) of the nicest, well kept ones in this part of the country and honestly it was a slow, rattling, dog compared to even a modern Neon. I was crushed, but it ended the obsession. Oh, by the way, the guy wanted $8K for it. (KBB is about 1-2k in primo condition last I checked)

Stop now and don't go any furthur. You will be a happier person.
    Last edited by MustangO4 : 10/24/2011 at 04:26 PM

I hate to say it, but Mustang is right. That said, I was warned just the same before I bought mine, and I still did it.

My JR Impulse RS is quite awesome, but she has been one helluva project. The only benefit to a 2nd gen RS would be that they are a little newer and you might find some more parts.

The first step is actually finding one that isn't modded, hacked and riced out to death (and I mean death).

That's why I sprung at the opportunity to by my JR, original owner, only 65k on the clock, perfect body and interior, etc, etc. But it has still been a challenge, an ongoing challenge in fact that I am right in the middle of, 24 pages in the middle of.

http://www.isuzone.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22593

Whatever you choose, good luck.

Bart

Yikes, sounds like it may be a bad idea. I wish I could drive one & see how it feels but its almost impossible without a bunch of time/effort/$. Even if I find a "gem," I may have to fly out somewhere just to see if I like it.

...well maybe I'll get lucky & there will be one posted locally but seems like I might be disappointed. Thanks for the info guys.

Well, I don't think you would be at all disappointed with a really well kept stock Impulse RS. In fact, I think you would be thoroughly impressed with it and you would fall in love with it.

The problem is, finding one will take some time, and you will likely have to travel for it. I was lucky, VXKAT was ever so kind enough to go check out the car for me and do the deed of buying and sending me the title. I still owe her several drinks!!! (thanks again, Sue!). Then I had it shipped up from Phoenix to Reno. What I suggest, if you are serious, is be patient, have your money ready so you can travel/ship/buy when the right one pops up, and be committed to owning an obscure but awesome car.

Bart

Speaking of super crazy mods, there was one of these for sale near me in Virginia a couple years ago. The owner had painted the entire car as a waving US flag.

Seemed odd for a Japanese vehicle.

The problem is, they mostly look like this:

http://gainesville.craigslist.org/cto/2630751225.html

Or are in a state like this:

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/2613731248.html

But there are ones like this:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/2657304065.html

That last one looks pretty nice, but it obviously has had a great deal of mods done to it. Still, looks and sounds like a potentially nice one. They are out there.

Bart

Looks like the last one has rust along the edge between the passenger fender and the front bumper though...

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Looks like the last one has rust along the edge between the passenger fender and the front bumper though...
    Yeah, from what I understand, the big thing with the 2nd gen Impulses is rust around the shock towers and rotting frames. And you know, i think when it comes to buying old cars, one should always try to find one that has lived out West its whole life.

Bart

Hey Bart, what did you use to find all those listings? I couldn't find any using searchtempest.

The last one could be a possibility but I would rather pay a bit more for a cherry. On the other hand, for a $1000 the RS in NM could be a nice investment because it could be a complete rebuild project & I could swap in some upgrades.

Here is the forum, but you will be sorry. Get a nice impreza or VR4 3000 and tell yourself it's an impulse. They were really cool new, but have all been rode to hell or someone wants a fortune for them. You know where there is a really pristine one, no kidding? Jay Leno's garage. It is sweet. Otherwise forget about it. Why not look for a Celica GT four while you are at it???
    Happy hunting!

http://www.isuzone.org/forums/

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Hey Bart, what did you use to find all those listings? I couldn't find any using searchtempest.
    http://www.allofcraigs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MustangO4 View Post
    You know where there is a really pristine one, no kidding? Jay Leno's garage. It is sweet.
    Whoa, seriously? Leno has an ISUZU in his collection??

Bart

AutoTempest is way better than allofcraigs, which is basically the exact same thing as typing "vehicross site:craigslist.org" into the standard Google search engine (see the logo that says "Google Custom Search"?). Google crawls the internet to build it's search index, and since it's impossible to accomplish that in real time, the results are often "stale." Case in point, if you start clicking on the Craigslist links in allofcraigs you'll find that a high percentage of them are dead links.

AutoTempest is a bit more clunky since it opens a frame for each CL site within your search radius, but the advantage is you're seeing LIVE results because you're querying directly against each CL site's database. Another bonus is that you can enable picture previews so you don't have to click each of the links.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    AutoTempest is way better than allofcraigs, which is basically the exact same thing as typing "vehicross site:craigslist.org" into the standard Google search engine (see the logo that says "Google Custom Search"?). Google crawls the internet to build it's search index, and since it's impossible to accomplish that in real time, the results are often "stale." Case in point, if you start clicking on the Craigslist links in allofcraigs you'll find that a high percentage of them are dead links.

AutoTempest is a bit more clunky since it opens a frame for each CL site within your search radius, but the advantage is you're seeing LIVE results because you're querying directly against each CL site's database. Another bonus is that you can enable picture previews so you don't have to click each of the links.
    THANK YOU!!! JUST WHAT I NEED TO FIND MORE STUFF I DON'T NEED/CANNOT AFFORD!!!!

Seriously, good info.

Bart

i drove one at a dealer new back in the day
    and love it
    parts are common to geo storm gsi? gti?
    and some of the 1990s lotus elan