Thread: Now it's my turn....

Wrench Now it's my turn....

Few weeks ago i made a stupid mistake..

Every monday i check my VX prior heading to work ( 80 + miles commute ).

But three weeks ago i left my radiator cap loose and all the antifreeze spilled under the hood to the point my VX overheated for a minute. I was able to pull of the road and turn the engine off quickly into a near by parking lot.

There weren't significant damages other then blown head gaskets according to my mech who check out the VX,my engine develop a small but internal antifreeze leak.

I had my plans to overhaul the entire engine next year during spring season,but due to my lack of attention i now need to do this as soon as possible before the leak get worse

So now i will appeal to my brothers on wheels to suggest me few but good/trustworthy websites where i can rely to purchase rebuilding kits such as :

Valves,bearing rods,rings,valve steams,gaskets,connecting rods,shims,crankshaft,etc.

My current odo is 86500 miles.

My VX is 100% driveable and doesn't overtheat but yes,got to keep a eye & a half over the temp gauge while in motion.

ALL inputs are welcome and well appretiated,especially from those who already got their VX engines rebuilted.

Thank you guys !
    Dakar was just the begining.

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    Sorry for your misfortune Gussie! Can't help with your quest but sure hope all goes smoothly...best of luck!
    Vixer Fixer

If your looking for factory parts Merlin is your man.
    Hope all goes smooth for you.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    Certainly Merlin at St. Chas is your best bet for OEM parts. For aftermarket, I've had great luck at Car Quest. As far as online retailers, I have no clue...You were looking for trustworthy websites right?

Thank you guys for the good wishes.

As far as online retailers i just started looking @ few ones on ebay with good to perfect feedback scores to call them and ask few questions about the products they offer in regards of quality,warranty,etc

I'll call merlin to get a full list of prices for each part needed to get the job done and compare it to what these online retailers got in stock.

Wow, that sucks. The closest thing almost happened to me. Left the oil cap off once and drove for about 10 miles. Smoke was billowing from under the hood and my heart sank. I was lucky, because I caught it and was able to fill the oil back up before something worse happened, but man did it make a mess under my hood.

I would just get a kit from Merlin if you can.

Bart

While you have it apart you should change your timing belt. I'm pushing over 193,000 with my 01' everything is fine but the transfer case and small replacements.

Next month i shall be having my horse's engine rebuilt.

I am looking to make this less painfull and keep the expenses low as possible.

I spend few hours looking at some ebay sellers offering rebuilt kits for the 3.5L.

Can anyone suggest me,based on their own experience which of those kit i sould consider ?

I am planning to have the VX in the shop while i head out of the country for vacation with my 1rst lady

Thanks in advance !