Hi all, been monitoring these forums for a long time. Having owned a couple of VX's, including one off the showroom floor, I know all the great things about these vehicles. And after a lengthy search, I finally found one that looked like a decent value. '00, blk/blk, 132K miles. A few minor issues I was aware of, including a crack in the body cladding (fixable, thank goodness since it is near impossible to replace those parts). Unfortunately, the miles accumulated getting to 132K have, shall we say, not been particularly kind. It's the little things that can tell you a lot sometimes. Lots of evident surface rust when you lift up the hood. Muffler sounds like it is ready to go to Midas-heaven. Just a general sense that the thing wasn't... "loved".

The first worst thing on my list was the fact that the front wheel bearing were shot and the brake pads were essentially gone. So, the seller agreed to replace the bearings, turn the rotors, and replace the pads. I verified that all of that was done. However, the ABS light is still on. Any ideas why this might be so?

Oh, and just to make things fun and interesting, the battery won't hold a charge. So that is clearly the first thing that is getting replaced, immediately if not sooner. Another thing I notice is that the gas gauge seems to be unnaturally pessimistic. I put 15 gallons in the tank and it barely registers 1/3 (not even half full). Now I'm no math whiz, but even a rank simpleton like me knows that's not right! Fuel sending unit shot craps perhaps?

Another thing I notice is that the vehicle kind of "crashes" over expansion joints and pot holes. Having owned VX's before, I know that this is not what one in proper condition does. Worn shocks maybe?

You can begin to see that I know just enough about these vehicles to develop a fuzzy idea about what might be broken, but not enough knowledge (okay, not enough motivation either) to actually get in there myself and fix what needs to be fixed.

My intentions are to slowly bring the Vehicross back to near-excellent condition, bit by bit. My priorities are drivetrain, suspension, and then cosmetics. I've spent a fair amount of time reading about the known weak spots in these trucks, e.g. window lifts, general failure issues with the 3.5L, etc.

Based on what I describe, I would ask you highly knowledgeable folks for your opinion as to what I've already raised -- i.e. does it sound like I am in the general vicinity of what is probably broken, or am I way out in left field? Also, given what I describe about this one, if there are other specific things I should probably be concerned about that perhaps don't jump out at me right away, I would sure appreciate hearing from you guys about that subject too.

Anyway, most importantly, happy to be back in the VX community. Looking forward to contributing something other than stupid questions, as time passes.

Kind regards,

Geno