Thread: half shafts

half shafts

Hey everyone,

Whats the difference between these half shafts? It seems the part numbers on al three are different. The first two look identical but the last one has a different end to it. Actually the second one I cannot tell but it seems that there is plastic surrounding the ball bearings but that may be the difference.

Can anyone shed some light into this?

60-1349S

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cardone-Indu...ht_1286wt_1156

66-1349S

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cardone-Indu...#ht_1426wt_931

60-1310

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cardone-Indu...ht_1286wt_1156

THANKS!!!!

The last one has the "green cup" attached to it. That is the "outer race" and is actually the axle shaft that fits into the front axle housing. I didn't look too closely at the first two, but they do seem to be similar. Maybe they are different lengths? I know that there are a couple of threads rolling around here regarding the front axle shafts and their associated part numbers.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

If your in the market for axle shafts...
    The cardones are remanufactured and those prices seem a bit high
    If you are not replacing the green cups I suggest checking out the Empi's. I have been running them for over a year, including beating them offroad, with good results. They are "new" parts not remans. They don't make a vx specific shaft but the trooper shaft works. I paid $72 for mine on amazon.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    +1 go with EMPI, they're cheaper & seem to be pretty strong. Search for the EMPI thread that Triathelete posted to find part #s.

Only buy the outer section aftermarket & don't buy the half shaft with the green cup attached as it has a different style CV joint which binds easily & you will have to drop the front axle to install. OEM replacement (junkyard) is the only good option for replacing the inner axle shafts.

Thanks guys, the truck has 160k on the frame and will need the passenger side CV joint, a-arm and a few other things replaced. Figured with that kind of mileage and since I am doing the repairs already then might as well replace both axles, half shafts, cv joints, boots, cups etc. Think that is necessary?

Heck I may even polish the undercarriage... jk

Any other recommendations while I'm fixing those? I don't care about the money (no I'm not rich) but I do want to make it very dependable and reliable. I'm going to be ordering a new set of shocks and springs soon too as well as mayyyyybbbeee an actual driveshaft.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid1098 View Post
    Thanks guys, the truck has 160k on the frame and will need the passenger side CV joint, a-arm and a few other things replaced. Figured with that kind of mileage and since I am doing the repairs already then might as well replace both axles, half shafts, cv joints, boots, cups etc. Think that is necessary?

Replacing the axles (AKA jack shafts) is a completely different procedure than replacing the halfshafts. Its not necessary unless the green cups are shot &/or you have leaky axle seals. I would pull the half shaft and inspect the green cup. If the slots are worn in the cup, then it will need replacement & you'll have to pull the front axle.

Also, I would replace your ball joints while you're replacing the front end.

I have an extra set of EMPIs

Without green cup, brand new. PM if anyone needs them.