I'm a skeptic by nature, but in the true sense of the word. Not one to deny nor believe either way until strong evidence or direct observation persuades me.

All my life (literally all my life since able to read) I've kept abreast on reports of what can be termed Fortean phenomena. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Fort

At one point I had a massive library of books on cryptozoology, UFOlogy, the paranormal and other "pseudoscientific" topics. It was not a static library, I read them all, loaned them to friends, bought and sold them. The whole of it was immersive. So much so that in the true legacy of Mr. Fort himself began to lose faith in anyone or anything that purported have all the answers or even any of them.

Yes, I'm talking to you Mr. Science, and you Mr. Religion, and you Mr. Economist and you Mr. Conspiracy theorist. Reality truly bends when you realize that there exists many more possible things in the universe than there are probable ones, and many more of those probable ones than you can possibly imagine.

So when I say I'm a skeptic, this does not mean "debunker" or one who seeks to discredit observations of incredible things simply because they do not fit the common norm. Instead I study those observations try to find patterns and meaning in them. To me it is a very, very serious subject.

What concerns me lately is the exploitation of such subjects in popular culture. Where every "paranormal" TV show must have a big "BOO!" moment, every week, on schedule. Every Cryptid show has dubious evidence to "prove" existence of the monster du jour, every week, on schedule. Every UFO show has the latest footage of the "UFO" posted on youtube and was thoroughly dismissed as photochoppery two years ago. Not to mention the absolutely absurd leaps of supposition and logic that most all of them are guilty of.

Its not the subject matter to be resented, its the manner in which its presented. It cheapens the subject matter by providing a spook o' the week. Some manufactured, some misrepresented, some re-enacted. All to appeal to the masses who's critical thinking skills rarely extend to balancing their checkbook.

Speaking of checkbooks, yes, all of these shows do it for the money. If they were losing money, they wouldn't do it. There is no altruism in chicanery. If these shows inspire a few to do the nasty deed and bend thier minds around all things possible then that's great. My hope is that those so inclined will see with a critical mind that the charlatans outnumber the kernals of truth. Realize that noise is in the data so thick and so furious that you, yes YOU must dig through it yourself. Read.. check sources.. visit your library and research. Correlate it in your own mind, and always assume that even you are wrong.

That is the reality game. Good luck.