Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: High Idle suddenly =/

I had a similar sound

wasn't high revs but low oil. Made it sound like high reving. Now when I hear it I just change the oil. Hey why add a quart to dirty oil when its about due anyhow?
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

Nice looking engine room, KAT!

Intake Manifold Gaskets.... that's what mine was

Intake gaskets for me too. Thought I'd have that code FOREVER. Also, cleaned the IAC motor & MAS sensor thoroughly. Light out. Idle restored. CEL has stayed off. Had CEL from just over 100k miles to around 200k miles. 213k now. All better.

Problem solved. I bought a can of mass air flow cleaner, a can of carb cleaner, and a new PCV valve. Tore open my throttle body and took er inside and scrubbed her down good with a tooth brush and carb cleaner. She was gunked up like crazy. Way worse than I would have imagined. I also took off my throttle position sensor and idle air control sensor and cleaned those out really well. It was nasty all up in the IAC's parts. Way totally disgusting. Worst the the butterfly and throttle body itself. I was idling up to 2500 RPM in neutral and could idle down the road at 25 MPH, no foot on the gas. She is idling lower than ever now. In park she is at about 800 RPM and drops to around 500-600 when in gear I think. I wonder if I'll get better fuel economy now......? Throttle response should definitely be better though!
    "Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. -Romans 3:28

Good job Breezy! You covered all the bases, did it yourself and did not spend a lot of $$$ trying. Sounds like you nailed it, hope it did!

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    Problem solved. I bought a can of mass air flow cleaner, a can of carb cleaner, and a new PCV valve. Tore open my throttle body and took er inside and scrubbed her down good with a tooth brush and carb cleaner. She was gunked up like crazy. Way worse than I would have imagined. I also took off my throttle position sensor and idle air control sensor and cleaned those out really well. It was nasty all up in the IAC's parts. Way totally disgusting. Worst the the butterfly and throttle body itself. I was idling up to 2500 RPM in neutral and could idle down the road at 25 MPH, no foot on the gas. She is idling lower than ever now. In park she is at about 800 RPM and drops to around 500-600 when in gear I think. I wonder if I'll get better fuel economy now......? Throttle response should definitely be better though!

Yeah, I got a little nervous. After I replaced the PCV valve it started my check engine light came on for the first time ever. But I had autozone read the code and it said "intake air temp" sensor, which I had moved around earlier. I pulled it out, stuck it back in and turned it upright and it worked fine and my check engine light went right off. What a relief. I was really scared there for a moment lol. I think today I might see about getting a synthetic swap for standard oil change somewhere. It's due, and I have 2000 miles of driving to do over Thanksgiving....Rear speaker replacement may also be something on the list of things for today. 12 hours in a car with blown rear speakers may become irritating...