Thread: Larger tire size

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Silent Armour

We just put Goodyear's 'Silent Armour' tires on my son's Ford F-150 4x4 and they are fantastic. They have Kevlar in them which make them very strong and have a super aggressive tread for on/off road AND they are very quiet too. A friend of mine recommended them since he had them on his diesel 4x4 and they are great! You should take a look at them.
    We got 265/70r17's and they were around $180/each PLUS Goodyear gave a $80 rebate which made them a little cheaper. Even without the rebate I'd buy them again. If and when I need tires for my Bee, those are the tires I'll get.

Went thru this too when I got my stock VX.

I bought the Cooper Zeon LTZ in 285/60-18 for my stock 18" rims. Here's my thread with many detailed pics. Also can see my Moab pics with them in 2010 and 2011 in the Moab threads.

Was VERY happy with the Coopers, VERY quiet on the highway (well, at least up to 7,500 miles I've done), but still plenty of bite on dirt and rocky roads. I decided to switch the Nitto Terra Grapplers from my other truck to my VX ONLY because I like the look a little better, the NTGs have amore square shoulder which I like.

**NOTE** Both the Cooper and Nitto websites do NOT support a 7" wide rim in this tire size, but it works fine.

Many VXers run the NTG in this size, and there's now several that run the Coopers. I sold my 5 Coopers to Knigh7s and he's happy with them too. So far I only recall positive comments, and specifically noting they're quiet on the highway.

There's several other good tire choices, so do a search on some brand names and you'll find a lot of threads. Maybe also put "18" into the search, to screen out the smaller ones.

Your FRONT OUTER EDGE CLADDING needs to be trimmed a little to fit the 285/60-18s but it's MINIMAL and super easy, can do it in 5 minutes with a dremel. I do NOT have any lift or TBs cranked, and this is all I had to trim. Here's the size of the piece you need to trim:
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showthr...ht=cooper+zeon

COOPER ZEON LTZ - 285/60-18:with about 8000 miles on them

NITTO TERRA GRAPPLERS - 285/60-18:with 7500 miles.

Last edited by VX KAT : 09/21/2012 at 07:14 PM
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.