Thread: Playin in virgin snow at Whistler, BC

Playin in virgin snow at Whistler, BC

My wife came up to everett, wa for a few days before I deploy. I took her to the theater in Vancouver, BC and we decided to make the drive up to Whistler, home of the 2010 winter olympics. It was an amazing drive, unfortunately there was little snow to be found on the roads. We ended up staying the night.
    I have had my VX for 3 years now, never got a chance to drive her in the snow
    It was like christmas for me, I woke up and there was almost a foot of fresh snow on the ground!!!! YIPPPPEEEEE!!!!!!
    I got the wife up and we headed out in town. It was opening weekend for the ski slopes, so not too many people there. The main day parking lot was empty, all that fresh, virgin snow....I couldn't resist. I don't know how many people have ever gotten a chance to tear around that lot while its empty, but I know it can't be many.

<object width="400" height="266" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/2649793164681" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/2649793164681" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="266"></embed></object>

Hmm, I have no idea how to embed video, stupid Ship's internet won't let me log into youtube, so I can't link it from there. I uploaded it to facebook, but no share link available? Grrr...

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

I'm jealous. Numerous episode and movie scenes from my favorite tv show of all time, The X-Files, were filmed in Vancouver and the Whistler area. Always thought it would be cool to visit some of those locations in person some time. I don't do Facebook, so I didn't watch the video, but it wasn't difficult to imagine as I've seen the place through video so many times already. Hope your deployment is uneventful.

It was nice enough up there that my wife was considering me retiring there. She hates snow, but loved that area and the people in Vancouver that much.
    Here is a link to the video They wont allow youtube, but they allow photobucket....dummies.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Ya, I only get to do that about 15 or 20 times a year :-)
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    Ya, I only get to do that about 15 or 20 times a year :-)
    In what? Some silly Toyota? My VX may be the only VX to have EVER been in Whistler...lol.

Nice vid. I saw it on FaceBook. I could tell you were grinning ear-to-ear. Your Wifey is right, there are many out-of-state military personnel that get briefy stationed in WA State and end up retiring here (that and damn migrating Californian's). WA State has is all-- Ocean Beach; Rain Forest; Mountains; Lakes; Desert Sand Dunes and yes, Snow. Sorry we couldn't connect with a personal visitation. Be safe on your deployment.

So, the VX gets your seal of approval on snow? If I remember right, there were some posts about the TOD "surging" on snow that made you wonder how yours would perform.

(I thought you would have a good time no matter what!)

Quote Originally Posted by RickOKC View Post
    So, the VX gets your seal of approval on snow? If I remember right, there were some posts about the TOD "surging" on snow that made you wonder how yours would perform.

(I thought you would have a good time no matter what!)
    TOD is ineffective in my truck, I am locked in the front As for driving in the snow down the road, I didnt have any maneuvering to do, so I never got to feel TOD in action, this is back to real life application. If you remove the rear drive train from the system, the front just surges and jerks as the puter senses rear slip, sends a spurt of power to the front, and it just cycles that way
    As for playing in deep snow where no maneuvering needed, it was good!

My VX was there a bit last summer, just passing through. For what it's worth, if the snow's a problem, you just move to Metro Vancouver proper, and you'll only see it once or twice a year, but you can drive for an hour or so and find plenty as you've discovered. I lived in Vancouver for three years, and while I can't see moving back into the city, that's a very pretty part of the world.

Plus you're an 80 minute ferry ride from Vancouver Island, which is prettier still!