Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: VT_Maverick's 5 Speed Swap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

no start

no codes get rpms so i dont think its the crank sensor sever of the b+ feeds at the harness to the pcm have no pwer fuses check out good
    snow is melting and i didnt drive my baby. last year didnt drive it because of auto tranny replaced it twice. so thought the 5 speed would give me some satisfaction. lol

K, trying to make sense of your last post, but having a hard time. Can you please adjust it a bit?

no diagnostic codes. scanner shows rpms when cranking so dont think its the crank sensor. several of the outputs and the inputs at the pcm dont have the battery voltage as they should. the fuses check out good.

Quote Originally Posted by Asouljah View Post
    several of the outputs and the inputs at the pcm dont have the battery voltage as they should.
    K. Did you already swap the Trooper ECM w/the OEM VX ECM to see if that portion of the problem corrects itself?

yes, same situation both computers. how do i bypass the alarm? i suspected that i may have reset the alarm because in the process of isolating the correct wires for the reverse gears and engaging the starter i ran power to the connector at the gear selector. that was the last time i heard the fuel pump come on. subsequently i had to replace a fuse at the drivers door window. what two wires would enable me to bypass that black box and is it reverseable?

I will be doing this swap this summer, if I can get all the parts together in the next few weeks. Any help would be much appreciated. The only part I am unclear on is the wiring. Anyone have a great source, or search engine for finding a '99 manual Trooper?

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    I will be doing this swap this summer, if I can get all the parts together in the next few weeks. Any help would be much appreciated. The only part I am unclear on is the wiring. Anyone have a great source, or search engine for finding a '99 manual Trooper?
    '98-01 Trooper S models are your source vehicles. If you get a '00-01 you'll need to source the ECU separately since the later models have a different computer setup. Easy to tell though as the correct ECUs are located where our are under the dash, the wrong ones are in the engine bay.
    Wiring is actually pretty easy. All you need to do is jumper out the thick wires at the mode switch connector M-25 1 to 4 to bypass the need to have the brake on when starting. Hook up the reverse light switch on the AR5. Connect pins 1 and 12 of the cruise control module through the normally closed clutch switch.
    There's no 'I' in denial.

Is the "S" part crucial? I have found some '99 Manual Troopers in TX, but I guess I need to call them to see if they would sell the entire vehicle (if it hasn't been picked apart yet). Is there a specific Junk Yard search that I should be using? Or just call and ask questions?

Is the "S" part crucial? I have found some '99 Manual Troopers in TX, but I guess I need to call them to see if they would sell the entire vehicle (if it hasn't been picked apart yet). Is there a specific Junk Yard search that I should be using? Or just call and ask questions?

I usually visit car-parts.com It has served me well over the years. The model variation is b/c some of them didn't come w/TOD, so the ECU/ECM will be different. Make sure to ask about TOD.

No, the S model is just the only models that came with the manual option I think. If you found a manual you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by bartmanS4 View Post
    No, the S model is just the only models that came with the manual option I think. If you found a manual you're good to go.

Dunno, man....this is an S and it's an auto www.ebay.com/itm/Isuzu-Trooper-S-/131493001528

Quote Originally Posted by eternal21 View Post
    Dunno, man....this is an S and it's an auto www.ebay.com/itm/Isuzu-Trooper-S-/131493001528
    I'm not saying all S models are 5 speeds. I'm saying I believe all 5 speeds are S models.

Quote Originally Posted by bartmanS4 View Post
    I'm not saying all S models are 5 speeds. I'm saying I believe all 5 speeds are S models.
    "I see," said the blind man to his deaf son.

I would recommend an additional item for anyone doing this swap and that is the fuel line that runs from the back of the engine to the rear of the trans. This is a hard line that routes around the trans and is different for the two models. You can bend the lines by hand but the correct lines make for a cleaner install. Just my two cents.....

Gotcha. So that line will meet up at the fuel filter connection on the passenger side? How hard is that to remove with the tranny out? Is the connection on the engine side accessible through the hood easily?