Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: VT_Maverick's 5 Speed Swap

Don't worry, you'll still have the only 99 5-speed! 2000 and 2001 are drive by wire per Jerry Lemmond, so the wiring will be somewhat different anyway. But we'd love to have whatever you've got! Can you scan and email them to us? I can shoot your our emails via PM, or you could even post them here if the resolution is high enough to be readable.

***EDIT - Nevermind on the drive-by-wire thing, see post #19 below***
    Last edited by vt_maverick : 12/29/2011 at 06:19 PM

Ok, I got a little more done today but not as much as I had hoped. I hit several junk yards today looking for a Rodeo console to use but struck out. I did, however, score a nice set of asisn manual hubs.

I did get the dash removed and the clutch pedal installed today. I also removed the hard line from the Trooper and got it installed. The cool part is the mounting tabs for the lines is installed on the VX. I am having to get a different clutch master cylinder sent to me as the one I need has a 10 mm nut and the one I received was a 12 mm, no big deal though. I have plenty to keep me busy. The clutch assembly arrived this afternoon and I was working on getting it installed but for the life of me could not find my clutch alignment tool!

When the project is done and I am satisfied with everything, I will created a word document with pictures and commentary if everyine thinks it will be of use to the community.

So here are some pictures...

Starting to take the dash apart...

If you look at the center of the picture you can see the blockoff plate and the mounting studs for the pedal assembly...

Here I have removed the auto bushing from the rear crank...

Ok, trivia time, this is the tool Jerry lent me to remove the bushing. A very simple too that fits perfectly into the bushing, injects grease and has a surface to tap to force the bushing out. Extra credit to whoever can name this former Isuzu part turned tool....

Here are a few pictures of the clutch and flywheel....

New pilot bearing...

Installed, just tap it in until it bottoms out...

New flywheel installed, bolts torque to 47 ft pounds...

Factory clutch plate....

Factory pressure plate, man is this thing heavy duty!...

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Don't worry, you'll still have the only 99 5-speed! 2000 and 2001 are drive by wire per Jerry Lemmond, so the wiring will be somewhat different anyway. But we'd love to have whatever you've got! Can you scan and email them to us? I can shoot your our emails via PM, or you could even post them here if the resolution is high enough to be readable.
    This must be a Trooper thing because yours still has a throttle cable. This is good in our case because I can just take the computer out of the Trooper and install it, no need to have the one in your VX reflashed.

That tool looks like a drive shaft ujoint!?!?
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    That tool looks like a drive shaft ujoint!?!?
    Good guess but has nothing to do with the drive line.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    This must be a Trooper thing because yours still has a throttle cable. This is good in our case because I can just take the computer out of the Trooper and install it, no need to have the one in your VX reflashed.
    Sweet!

Need Help Sourcing Trim

Greg struck out at the local yards trying to find the shifter surround trim, and I'm not having much luck online. Maybe you guys can help? We need the piece around the shifters in the pictures below, must be from a 95.5-97 Isuzu Rodeo or Honda Passport with manual transmission and 4WD. Prefer black if someone can find it, but we can always paint a gray one.

Call here. They are listed to have a '97 5speed 4x4 Rodeo

These are listed to have the same model....

http://www.weberautoparts.com/
    http://www.brasscastleimports.com/

also these... are 96s or 97s
    http://www.nestersautoworks.com/
    http://www.whiteyswrecking.com/
    http://www.lamarautosalvage.com/

All should have 5speed 4x4 Rodeos in the correct year range.

Good Luck
    Last edited by JAMAS : 12/30/2011 at 01:04 PM

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    Your bearing removal tool looks like it started life as the casting for a brake proportioning valve...
    Vixer Fixer

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Seems like you could just cut out the center section of the VX shifter console and it would look similar. I've looked for the same thing at the junkyard for my future swap and the center console won't match a rodeos shifter where we have the change tray.

Thanks guys, Earl found one in a yard in Denver that looks like what we need. Oddly it came off a PRE 95.5 Passport, so it appears that while the dash changed midyear the center console did not. Won't know for sure until we get it though.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Seems like you could just cut out the center section of the VX shifter console and it would look similar. I've looked for the same thing at the junkyard for my future swap and the center console won't match a rodeos shifter where we have the change tray.
    Good to know, sounds like cutting may be required for either to work then.

Answer: The "tool" started out life as a diesel fuel injector for the Isuzu 223 motor. Hard to believe but that is what it was.

I will post more pictures tomorrow as it has been a long day. It took me several hours of grinding and test fitting to get the cases to fit together properly. That transfer case gets heavy after picking it up a dozen or so times, I am worn out! I have the brake pedal assembly out now and will be installing the manual assembly tomorrow as well as the clutch hydrolic system as well.

Speaking of the clutch master cylinder here is what I discovered. You can use either the Trooper or Rodeo clutch master cylinder. The only difference between the two is the size of the line, with the Rodeo line being a larger diameter. If you use the Rodeo unit then you will nee to take the hard line from the Rodeo and modify it to work with the VX as the Rodeo has the slave cylinder on the passenger side. If you go with the Trooper unit then you can use the hard line which bolts directly in place without modification and will look factory. Now the kicker.... an OEM unit for the Rodeo is about $80.00 and the Trooper north of $300.00!! OUCH!!! Just something to consider when you decide to go down this road.

Pictures to come tomorrow. I am hoping to tie most of the lose ends tomorrow and install the trans on Sunday. Wish me luck!!

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    Thanks Buffy, I thought it looked like a pressure fitting of some kind, makes sense!

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Now the kicker.... an OEM unit for the Rodeo is about $80.00 and the Trooper north of $300.00!! OUCH!!! Just something to consider when you decide to go down this road.

Pictures to come tomorrow. I am hoping to tie most of the lose ends tomorrow and install the trans on Sunday. Wish me luck!!
    Thats strange that the Trooper master cylinder would be that much more than the Rodeo . Good to know for the budget, which one did you go with?

Good luck this weekend & keep us posted