Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: VT_Maverick's 5 Speed Swap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Well since we have an entire Trooper sitting there it was really $80 vs. $0 for now. (The $800 I dropped on that Trooper is looking better every day. ) Besides it'll make it much easier to remember what came from where when I'm in a shop without my computer in a few years...

As promised picture time!!

Clutch installed, I spent several hours searching for an alignment tool and had to settle for a universal unit. Note to self, Isuzu clutches DO NOT include and alignment tool. Advanced Auto can order you one for $1.49.

The AR-5 and the 4L30E side-by-side...

The AR-5 had a stud at the top that I had to remove. This bolt hole was not used...

Here you can see the interference I encountered between the cases...

You can see where the cases were rubbing together whiched was making it difficult fitting them together...

The shifter plate had to be clearanced as well...

This will give you an idea of the amount of massaging it took to get the cases together. It took several hours as I only wanted to remove just enough to make things work. I lost count of how many times i put the cases together to get it how I wanted.

SUCCESS!!!!!

Once I got the cases sorted out I turned my attention to the brake pedal. It is a pain to get out but got easier once I losened the steering column to firewall bolts. Here are the two assemblies side-by-side...

Here is the dash carnage, Easy Ashley... I'll get it back together today! You do not have to swap the brake pedal out to do the swap. The pedals would be a little close but useable but my end goal is a factory appearance so out it came!

When they built the VX they obviously used the Trooper RS floor pans. This is the same tab the 4 door Trooper uses to connect the hard hydrolic line to the soft line of the slave cylinder. This is why the Trooper parts are more of a plug-and-play factory appearing vs the Rodeo parts.

I got an early start today so here are some pictures....

Here is the Trooper clutch master cylinder and hard line installed...

Here is what the tab I showed earlier is used for. If I were doing the swap I would opt for the Trooper parts.

Do yourself a big favor and install the clutch master cylinder BEFORE installing the pedals. It is almost impossible to get to the top nut with the pedal in place...

The interior is looking better....

Ok Ashley you can breath a sigh of relief...

The computers are lables MAN or AUTO...

You will need to swap the mounting brackets over. The VX mount is on the bottom...

Following this thread with increasing amazement, interest and respect for the talent! Keep up the great work.

Where is this all happening (city/state)? I'd like to know how far I'll have to go when the time comes. ;-)

You and me both V. City/state is Burlington, NC (it's in his profile at the top of each of his posts) which fortunately is only about 3 hours away from me.

I think this is going to be a very cool swap.

That manual looks just as big as the auto, FWIW...maybe that says something...or not.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

The trans is mated to the motor!!! I have not installed the rear cross member as I am not liking how the gas lines are working out. I am considering taking the line out of the Trooper and swapping it with the one in the VX. It is made to mount to the trans and routes around the shifters.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    The trans is mated to the motor!!!
    You're on a roll & will be shifting through 5-speeds in no time.

I tied up most of the mechanical loose ends today. I was going to use the Trooper hard gas lines but could not use it because the lines have different wanys of connecting to the common chamber. Also note worthy is I decided to go with the Trooper exhaust because if I had used the VX exhaise system I would have had to start moving wires at the PCM and I really didn't want to get into that. I will research it later to get an idea of what is required. So without further ado here are some more pictures...

The new throwout bearing...

Shift arm and throwout bearing assembled. After the transmission is installed the bearing snaps into the clutch. I was able to do this by pulling the shift arm towards the back of the truck. It took very little effort to snap in place...

I had to modify the dust cover that sits behind the started slightly. On the auto the dust cover is held in by a bolt screwed into the trans housing. On the manual the bolt goes all the way though the housing. I marked the plate and drilled a hole through the plate and mounted everything up. The drill bit in the picture is where the bolt passes through the housing.

Bolt installed...

Slave cylinder mounted...

I switched to allen head bolts due to the close tollerences between the cases...

Shifters and rubber boots installed...

Rear drive shaft installed...

Trooper exhaust installed...

Slave cylinder mounted...

Do you have any pictures of how the slave cylinder is mounted inside of the tranny case?

Also the shift arm on my donor tranny is pretty rusty, should I sand the rust down and treat it at all? Also I think I am missing the circular cover on the very bottom of the tranny. What is that used for?

So looks like the Trooper exhaust matched up to the muffler without modification then?

Also note worthy is I decided to go with the Trooper exhaust because if I had used the VX exhaise system I would have had to start moving wires at the PCM and I really didn't want to get into that.
    Whats the difference in the Trooper exhaust vs VX exhaust that involves the PCM? O2 sensors?

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Whats the difference in the Trooper exhaust vs VX exhaust that involves the PCM? O2 sensors?
    I has to do with how the computer reads them. If I used the VX head pipes it would have thrown codes. I spoke with Allen (BigMeatVX) and this is what he was telling me.

I has to do with how the computer reads them. If I used the VX head pipes it would have thrown codes. I spoke with Allen (BigMeatVX) and this is what he was telling me.
    Thats good info, I remember Allan had something about the trooper exhaust in his write up but it was unclear what the issue was. Glad you got in touch with him .