Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: VT_Maverick's 5 Speed Swap

The 99 Trooper is the best. I think after 99 the Troopers went to drive by wire. But over all any 98 and above will work. 2000 and up will require you to have the computer reprogrammed.

Does it matter what engine it has? Isn't there a 4 cyl, 5 speed?
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

According to Edmunds the 3.5 V6 was the only option in 98 and 99. I think they discontinued the 4 cylinder on the previous generation maybe?

Were there any issues mounting the new transmission to the VX chassis?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet75 View Post
    Were there any issues mounting the new transmission to the VX chassis?
    It is a direct swap. Meaning the cross member is the same even your original driveshafts are reused. Everything bolts into place. You have to remember the VX is built on the RS Trooper frame that the US did not get. All parts and pieces bolt in place using factory hardware.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Buffy, do you have a write-up on the wiring harness? Seems like the wiring was the most challenging part of this swap.

Another possibility, I would be willing to buy a harness from you if you want to make another one.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Greg and I had this conversation just before he left and we're both in agreement that working from a donor vehicle is much easier. It really is questionable whether you could assemble everything piecemeal for less $$$, and you can't beat the convenience of being able to look at the way the manual was wired from the factory while performing the install in the VX. For me it turned out to be a real steal - my $800 got us the 94K transmission, ECM, wiring harness, exhaust, master cylinder, shift boots and shifter, clutch switch (or was it neutral switch Greg?), and probably a few other things I can't remember right now.
    Good call, I started looking on craigslist & found a 99 with engine problems for $1000. I'm not buying yet but can imagine it will be much easier to get a troubled Trooper than running back & forth to the parts yard.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Buffy, do you have a write-up on the wiring harness? Seems like the wiring was the most challenging part of this swap.

Another possibility, I would be willing to buy a harness from you if you want to make another one.

Good call, I started looking on craigslist & found a 99 with engine problems for $1000. I'm not buying yet but can imagine it will be much easier to get a troubled Trooper than running back & forth to the parts yard.
    The wiring was the biggest unknown for me going in. In the end it was very simple once I had the answers of course. I was thinking about creating a word document and maybe get it posted for reference. I will make sure the wiring portion of the write up is detailed.

Buying a 99 Trooper is the best way to do this conversion. There are alot of small pieces you can rob off it, there will be bolts, etc. be sure to save the manual heat shields as those will be important! The computer is a direct swap in, no reprogramming needed. You can use the hard line for the clutch master cylinder and the actual clutch master. I had to use the clutch switch from the donor. I used the wiring harness from the manual to make the connection for the backup lights and pulled wires from it to make the harness that went to the neautral and clutch switches. You run 4 wires to the switches ansd you are good. You can get the mode switch off the auto tranny and modify it for the swap. I might be able to create a wiring harness that is a pluc and play kind of thing by the time you get ready for it. Just send me tha old harnesses and I will send you what you need to install.

There are some gotchas to look out for like the OEM clutch kit does not include a clutch alignment tool. Advance Auto sells one for $1.50, Auto Zone and O'Riely did not offer one. The OEM slave cylinder does not include the push rod, usually not a big deal, but I was missing mine and had to go out and buy a cheapie slave cylinder to get the rod.

I will detail all of this in the write up.

Great, can't wait for the write-up and we'll talk about the harness when the time is right. I need to buy a house first so I have a nice big garage

VXorado - how many miles on your donor?

The ad didn't say. I'll be looking this summer & will start the swap once I find a low mileage donor.

What kind of mileage do you recommend to stay under on this type of transmission?

Or, should it be rebuilt before installation into the VX (obviously a safer bet..)?

According to Jerry Lemond anything under 150K should be fine. Anything above that you may want to consider having it gone through.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Well Greg and I met a few hours ago and I drove the VX back to my place and promptly parked her in the garage (need to do a few things before I leave her tomorrow afternoon for a business trip ). I've only driven her those 7-8 miles but I can tell you this much: someone at Isuzu should have been fired for not offering the VX with a manual option. It's a completely different driving experience with the manual, way more fun even with the puny stock 215 HP. The clutch is buttery smooth both in terms of pedal travel and the "feel" of moving between gears. The ratios are interesting in the AR-5, 1st and 2nd are strong enough to pull you forward without even pressing on the gas - and I'm pretty sure you could start out in 2nd if you wanted to. Should be LOADS of fun once I get "launching" down... And of course the install was just as clean in person as you'd expect from the pictures Greg's posted here - just a little bit of Dremel work was required to keep the stock VX center console.

I am VERY impressed and EXTREMELY happy with the finished product. Now I'm going to go back out to the garage and think up an excuse to drive her again tomorrow morning before I leave. Thanks again Greg! Fantastic job!!!
    I have to remark here. No Isuzu did not miss the manual shift option, in fact five were built for factory racing efforts. What we must remember is that VX was a concept car that was designed to be seen by more than the auto show attendees. That mean't it had to be inviting to drive by the widest range of potential drivers possible. A lot of people hate manual shift. They think it's too much work, especially for a $30K purchase price vehicle. Isuzu was looking for lots of street exposure of the VX design to trumpet their style capability. Average Joe's climbing rock piles was not the intended purpose. That terrain already belonged to dowdy Jeeps. Isuzu was gunning for the suburban weekend warrior showing off in the supermarket parking lot so somebody would be inspired buy an Ascender or Axiom to please their wife, but still remember fun the VX halo cast on their family everyday vehicle.

If I recall correctly there were also consideration of passing emissions tests with manuals.

I'd be curious to know more about that emissions issue, if you have any info on that?