Thread: VT_Maverick's 5 Speed Swap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Seems like you could just cut out the center section of the VX shifter console and it would look similar. I've looked for the same thing at the junkyard for my future swap and the center console won't match a rodeos shifter where we have the change tray.

Thanks guys, Earl found one in a yard in Denver that looks like what we need. Oddly it came off a PRE 95.5 Passport, so it appears that while the dash changed midyear the center console did not. Won't know for sure until we get it though.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Seems like you could just cut out the center section of the VX shifter console and it would look similar. I've looked for the same thing at the junkyard for my future swap and the center console won't match a rodeos shifter where we have the change tray.
    Good to know, sounds like cutting may be required for either to work then.

Answer: The "tool" started out life as a diesel fuel injector for the Isuzu 223 motor. Hard to believe but that is what it was.

I will post more pictures tomorrow as it has been a long day. It took me several hours of grinding and test fitting to get the cases to fit together properly. That transfer case gets heavy after picking it up a dozen or so times, I am worn out! I have the brake pedal assembly out now and will be installing the manual assembly tomorrow as well as the clutch hydrolic system as well.

Speaking of the clutch master cylinder here is what I discovered. You can use either the Trooper or Rodeo clutch master cylinder. The only difference between the two is the size of the line, with the Rodeo line being a larger diameter. If you use the Rodeo unit then you will nee to take the hard line from the Rodeo and modify it to work with the VX as the Rodeo has the slave cylinder on the passenger side. If you go with the Trooper unit then you can use the hard line which bolts directly in place without modification and will look factory. Now the kicker.... an OEM unit for the Rodeo is about $80.00 and the Trooper north of $300.00!! OUCH!!! Just something to consider when you decide to go down this road.

Pictures to come tomorrow. I am hoping to tie most of the lose ends tomorrow and install the trans on Sunday. Wish me luck!!

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Now the kicker.... an OEM unit for the Rodeo is about $80.00 and the Trooper north of $300.00!! OUCH!!! Just something to consider when you decide to go down this road.

Pictures to come tomorrow. I am hoping to tie most of the lose ends tomorrow and install the trans on Sunday. Wish me luck!!
    Thats strange that the Trooper master cylinder would be that much more than the Rodeo . Good to know for the budget, which one did you go with?

Good luck this weekend & keep us posted