Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
Well Greg and I met a few hours ago and I drove the VX back to my place and promptly parked her in the garage (need to do a few things before I leave her tomorrow afternoon for a business trip ). I've only driven her those 7-8 miles but I can tell you this much: someone at Isuzu should have been fired for not offering the VX with a manual option. It's a completely different driving experience with the manual, way more fun even with the puny stock 215 HP. The clutch is buttery smooth both in terms of pedal travel and the "feel" of moving between gears. The ratios are interesting in the AR-5, 1st and 2nd are strong enough to pull you forward without even pressing on the gas - and I'm pretty sure you could start out in 2nd if you wanted to. Should be LOADS of fun once I get "launching" down... And of course the install was just as clean in person as you'd expect from the pictures Greg's posted here - just a little bit of Dremel work was required to keep the stock VX center console.

I am VERY impressed and EXTREMELY happy with the finished product. Now I'm going to go back out to the garage and think up an excuse to drive her again tomorrow morning before I leave. Thanks again Greg! Fantastic job!!!
I have to remark here. No Isuzu did not miss the manual shift option, in fact five were built for factory racing efforts. What we must remember is that VX was a concept car that was designed to be seen by more than the auto show attendees. That mean't it had to be inviting to drive by the widest range of potential drivers possible. A lot of people hate manual shift. They think it's too much work, especially for a $30K purchase price vehicle. Isuzu was looking for lots of street exposure of the VX design to trumpet their style capability. Average Joe's climbing rock piles was not the intended purpose. That terrain already belonged to dowdy Jeeps. Isuzu was gunning for the suburban weekend warrior showing off in the supermarket parking lot so somebody would be inspired buy an Ascender or Axiom to please their wife, but still remember fun the VX halo cast on their family everyday vehicle.