Thread: VT_Maverick's 5 Speed Swap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    Isuzu was looking for lots of street exposure of the VX design to trumpet their style capability. Average Joe's climbing rock piles was not the intended purpose. That terrain already belonged to dowdy Jeeps.
    Surprisingly the trend is going toward auto transmissions in the 4 wheeling scene mainly because its much easier to drive an auto in rough terrain. Racing is manual transmission's last stand but with dual clutch autos now being used in supercars, they may be fazed out on the track too.

Personally I love manuals & can't wait to be stalling out on those rock piles soon

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Surprisingly the trend is going toward auto transmissions in the 4 wheeling scene mainly because its much easier to drive an auto in rough terrain. Racing is manual transmission's last stand but with dual clutch autos now being used in supercars, they may be fazed out on the track too.

Personally I love manuals & can't wait to be stalling out on those rock piles soon
    Lol - I think if I did a lot of crawling I would have strongly considered staying with the auto for just that reason. But since I do 90-95% street driving with a few trips in the deep sand each summer it's a much better choice. I also think the extremely low gearing in 1st and 2nd will come in handy when it snows - I can basically use those gears like the "Winter Mode" on the automatic but with more control.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Lol - I think if I did a lot of crawling I would have strongly considered staying with the auto for just that reason. But since I do 90-95% street driving with a few trips in the deep sand each summer it's a much better choice. I also think the extremely low gearing in 1st and 2nd will come in handy when it snows - I can basically use those gears like the "Winter Mode" on the automatic but with more control.
    I think you might have the winter logic idea a bit off? You don't use lower gears for snow/ice. You use higher gears to start to reduce torque output on slippery surfaces. That's what winter mode does. It starts you automatically in third gear instead of first. You use lower gears for more torque application on grippy surfaces facing steep grade climbs, and for pulling stumps out of the ground. I hope this helps.