Thread: VT_Maverick's 5 Speed Swap

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    Hey Tom,
    I've got some more information that should go into this since I just did the swap.
    1. The fuel lines from the Trooper will work. The VX connections are different towards the engine but just cut the rubber line before the connectors and install the same way they are on the Trooper with hose clamps.

2. Cruise control needs a constant 12v to go to pin 12 of connector B-9 at the cruise control module interrupted by the clutch switch. This can be done at either the CC module itself which is located behind the kick panel on the passenger side. This can be done by running two wires under and behind the dash splicing into pin 1 and 12 of B-9 and connecting to the lower of the two clutch switches. This is how I did it but it was tougher to do than I expected. Or you can run the wires from the clutch switch out of the firewall and down to the mode switch connector M-25 pins 5 (D) 12v and 7 (B) cruise.

3. Pins 1 & 4 of M-25 need to be shorted to start the car. I shorted them directly at the M-25 mode switch. The downside of this is the car can be started when the trans is in gear and the clutch is not depressed. No big deal to me but some people might not want that. To avoid this run these back through the upper clutch switch for starter interlock i.e. car can only be started with the clutch pedal depressed. Pins 1 & 4 are the two thick wires on that connector. Because I didn't do it this way I didn't need to run any wiring through the firewall.

4. Brake pedal doesn't have to be changed but it is too close to the clutch pedal in it's current state. I cut mine down to the size of the clutch pedal with a cutting wheel and now there is no clearance issues.

5. The only electrical connection that needs to go to the 5 spd tranny is for the reverse lamp. This goes from M-25 pin 5 (D) 12v and pin 2 (F) to the blue two pin connector on the tranny.

6. The shift indicator controller box can be removed. This is the small plastic box that is right above the alarm/keyless entry module in this picture.

7. Remove the A/T lamp from the instrument cluster to get rid of the shift light.

8. Try fitting the console over the shifter and running through the gears before doing any trimming as you may not need to do any at all.

That's all I can think of right now.
    Last edited by bartmanS4 : 02/15/2014 at 10:32 AM