Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: VT_Maverick's 5 Speed Swap

PMing you now!
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

I decided to keep looking for a Trooper.

Question...the Trooper exhaust, can it be from an Auto, or does it have to be manual?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet75 View Post
    I decided to keep looking for a Trooper.

Question...the Trooper exhaust, can it be from an Auto, or does it have to be manual?
    I believe its supposed to be the manual version.

I've collected all the info I can find on components at my VXWiki. I'm eventually going to piece this together.
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

Something to keep in mind. If your state is performing OBD2 checks, they could ID computer from different car/year and fail you. Mass started with identifying Europian code that was flashed into some car's ECU's and eventually they started picking out non-native ECU's. NH was late to the game, but they are starting picking them out. So before you truely commit to a 5sp ECU from a trooper, make sure your will not have this problem.
    96 Eclipse Spyder GSX (already turbo, AWD swap)
    93 Eagle Summit AWD (4G63 turbo swaps)

Interesting point.
    Vegas won't be an issue with it as a whole, since it's the same engine, but knowing our DMV, it'll probably need to be "re-certified".
    Thanks!

Same engine is not enough, they are bagging us with same engine, but different year.

But every state is different. For instance, Mass stops doing OBD2 checks after 15 years, so 99's coming up to that deadline (but not quite there). So I have another 3 years of "playing by the rules".

I can help facilitate this for anyone interested...

http://blacksburg.craigslist.org/cto/3869703835.html

I'd see if he'll bite at $500.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    I can help facilitate this for anyone interested...

http://blacksburg.craigslist.org/cto/3869703835.html

I'd see if he'll bite at $500.
    Maverick, I very well may want to jump on this. Let me talk to my wife tonight and I will get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by housertl View Post
    ...Let me talk to my wife tonight and I will get back to you.
    I can't tell you how many times I have started and ended a project (at the same time) with that exact quote

Quote Originally Posted by housertl View Post
    Maverick, I very well may want to jump on this. Let me talk to my wife tonight and I will get back to you.
    Offer him $500 and if he says no I'll call and offer him $300 and maybe he'll call you back.

Reviving this thread, as there are some questions I have now that I'm finishing up:

a) These wires run into the engine bay. Where do they go from there, i.e., where do they connect inside the engine bay?
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Here is where I routed the new wire harness through the fire wall.

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    Mike,

Those wires run back to the transmission mode switch connector M-25. They are for the clutch pedal switch. If I remember correctly their purpose is twofold: 1) the the starter interlock that doesn't allow the starter to engage unless the clutch pedal is fully depressed, and 2) the cruise control will function when the pedal is out and disengage as soon as the pedal is depressed. One of these uses a N.C. and the other uses a N.O. switch position. I wired my VX differently and did not run any wires through the firewall. In my case I left out the starter interlock because I don't care if I can turn it over without depressing the clutch. To do this you must short pins 1 & 4 at M25. However, this does allow the VX to be cranked over while in gear with the clutch engaged. I just don't find it that difficult to make sure I'm in neutral before cranking the engine just like all manuals in the not so old days. As for the cruise control clutch interlock I ran two wires from the clutch switch behind the dash over to the cruise control module behind the passenger kick plate. This was easier and cleaner in my opinion than running wires out the firewall to the transmission mode switch connector.

Send me your email in a PM and I can send you a word doc with useful notes that I created.
    Cheers,
    Scott
    There's no 'I' in denial.

Quote Originally Posted by bartmanS4 View Post
    Mike,
    Send me your email in a PM and I can send you a word doc with useful notes that I created.
    Cheers,
    Scott
    Thanks, Scott. I found your post in this thread about all of that and I had to determine which method I wanted to go: clutch pedal down or not when starting the truck. The alarm I'm installing is remote start, so to me, it bypasses the clutch being down anyway, so, I'm going your route.

Since everything else in the garage is a manual, like you, I just make sure I *ALWAYS* make MT transmissions are in neutral prior to starting. PM incoming, and THANK YOU.

Oh, and another thing: in one of your earlier posts you mentioned swapping out the fuel rails. Is this prudent, as I didn't come across a reason for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by eternal21 View Post
    Oh, and another thing: in one of your earlier posts you mentioned swapping out the fuel rails. Is this prudent, as I didn't come across a reason for doing so.
    Just to be clear, if I said fuel rails I misspoke. I was speaking of the 5 spd tranny fuel lines.

Quote Originally Posted by eternal21 View Post
    Thanks, Scott. I found your post in this thread about all of that and I had to determine which method I wanted to go: clutch pedal down or not when starting the truck. The alarm I'm installing is remote start, so to me, it bypasses the clutch being down anyway, so, I'm going your route.
    Just be careful to never leave you VX in gear! Can you imagine remotely starting a VX that's in 4Lo with 1st gear engaged? Doh! That would be spectacular!