Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Drive train conversion

Can the entire engine and transmission from an LT1, LS1, LS2, etc.. be swapped in place of the stock VX system, then just mod/connect a drive shaft to the rear axle?
    Yes! The NV4500(heavy duty manual transmission) and an NP205 transfer case is actually a couple inches shorter than stock. At worst you may have to have the driveshafts modded/manufactured/etc. Most VX's would even be overkill with an NV3500 which IIRC is the same size and much more available. I don't know anything about auto transmissions though, so you'll have to do your own homework there.

Space is the issue & Wisdom can probably answer that question best. Considering he didn't have enough space to mount an AC compressor with a 5.3L V8, I would think a 6.0L LS2 might be a bit too big.
    All the LS series motors are the same exterior size with the later engines being only slightly larger on the heads and intake manifold. A/C can be done with a relocation kit or by changing the accessory drive configuration. There are also many options used by classic hot rodders to have A/C in vehicles that never came with it.

Will our rear axle be ok with direct feed from a LS*'d Chevy transmission?
    Yes. They have been compared with GM 14 bolts and Dana 60s which are both heavy truck axles.

Emissions laws SUCK!

If you are looking into engine swaps, check your emissions laws first!
    So far, it's a no-go for me. (luckily I found out before I bought the donor engine/trans).

I was doing some research and saw that Ascinder was having a forum conversation about this subject on Pirate4x4.com. Hopefully he reads this and has some more info/better news.
    (sending him a PM too...)
    Sorry, haven't been able to find out anything more, except you may check other counties. Some have smog here and some don't. Your mileage may vary....
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Exclamation

Awesome!
    Thank you for your help!

As for the Emissions/legality issues... I have done some digging, with DMV!

I'll scan in and post the information packet that the Emissions Lab gave me.
    Short story: It IS possible and legal! There are just a lot of rules that make it almost not worth it.

Let's just say that member Wisdom was LUCKY wherever he lives!

I'll post that info soon.
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

Bookmarked NV DMV Engine Swap Rules with EPA Laws

Here you go!
    Note: My scanner does an auto-crop. That's why the pages look cut. All of the information is there though...

Furthermore....
    The guy from the Emissions Lab at the DMV told me that EVERYTHING must be swapped over. Even the gas tank... (if) There is an EVAP monitor on the tank that measures volume and vapor amount. Basically, you have to do a full change-over to the donor vehicle's emission system... even if your vehicle didn't have said systems.

So, these rules make engine choices a little more limited. The LT1 I had originally selected is out of the question since it is from the mid-'90s.

Now I'm considering LS1 or LS2.
    Actually, I just found a late model Trailblazer SS drive train with under 20k miles...
    But, it's just a little out of budget.

Unfortunately I may have to put the V8 swap on hold for a bit.
    I need to prioritize projects. My first concern, as should be with anyone (IMHO) with larger tires... especially if thinking about an engine swap, is to upgrade the brakes.
    I'm not happy with the brakes as is, and have heard great things about R1 Concepts. I think I will do this first, then build up money over time to get the unicorn engine that I want... later .

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet75 View Post
    The guy from the Emissions Lab at the DMV told me that EVERYTHING must be swapped over. Even the gas tank... (if) There is an EVAP monitor on the tank that measures volume and vapor amount. Basically, you have to do a full change-over to the donor vehicle's emission system... even if your vehicle didn't have said systems.
    Doesn't seem like it would be that bad except for the gas tank part, but you'd almost certainly be way better off to buy a donor vehicle rather than individual pieces. Setting aside the gas tank question this means you'd need the engine, intake, MAF sensor, O2 sensor, ECM/PCM, headers, cats, and mufflers at a minimum. With a donor vehicle you'd have pretty much everything you need, with the exception of any custom exhaust "plumbing" work. At least that's my view as a non-mechanically inclined reader.

Buffy (Greg) - I think paragraph 5 pretty much bans the Trooper 3.1 diesel swap you were considering.

As long as you can pass the plug in test you are good to go in PA, You need to meet the specs for your year car, or motor which ever is newer

Lightbulb

Actually, you just made me re-read the packet, and I found what I think you are talking about... It's kind of a "read between the lines", but let me know what you guys think.

Look at the last large paragraph on this page, first sentence ("If the owner of a vehicle...") :
    http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/da...NV_DMV_-_1.jpg

It makes me believe that if you try to smog it and it passes with the new engine, and no red flags are thrown, all is good...
    Thoughts??

Since the vx is a body on frame vehicle wouldn't it be easier to find a 4x4 truck and pull the cab/bed off and put the vx body onto? Sure there will be some fit issues but all systems would/should line up with a little fab work.

Lightbulb

That's hilarious! My wife said the exact same thing the other day.
    Maybe something to look into...

Has anyone attempted this?

well, growing up in AR I was able to see dozens of vw bugs and camaro bodies put onto 4x4 vehicles, and if the half toothed people driving them could build it and make it work, I'm sure there is someone on here smart enough to get it done. Would be amazing to find a body wrecked new 4x4 Ford with the ecoboost drivetrain and pull that body off in place of the vehicross. Would probably be too long though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
    well, growing up in AR I was able to see dozens of vw bugs and camaro bodies put onto 4x4 vehicles, and if the half toothed people driving them could build it and make it work, I'm sure there is someone on here smart enough to get it done. Would be amazing to find a body wrecked new 4x4 Ford with the ecoboost drivetrain and pull that body off in place of the vehicross. Would probably be too long though.
    nothing is too long..... aslong as you have a plasma torch and a mig welder.

I would search Edmunds (manually unfortunately) for a vehicle with similar dimensions, at which point it seems that you'd only need to fabricate whatever brackets would be needed to connect the body bolts from the VX to the corresponding bolts on the new frame. I would stray away from cutting the frame, sounds risky to me.

Would be more than that to get things to work right. Getting a/c ducting lined up, gauges to fit within the vx dash, small things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Doesn't seem like it would be that bad except for the gas tank part, but you'd almost certainly be way better off to buy a donor vehicle rather than individual pieces. Setting aside the gas tank question this means you'd need the engine, intake, MAF sensor, O2 sensor, ECM/PCM, headers, cats, and mufflers at a minimum. With a donor vehicle you'd have pretty much everything you need, with the exception of any custom exhaust "plumbing" work. At least that's my view as a non-mechanically inclined reader.

Buffy (Greg) - I think paragraph 5 pretty much bans the Trooper 3.1 diesel swap you were considering.
    I think those limitations are written for companies that do modifications and custom rigs. I don't think that those restrictions apply to the shade tree mechanic. For an owner modifying for his own use: if it passes smog, then it's legal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

The Emissions Lab guy I was talking to was very emphatic that they will check EVERYTHING to make sure it all came over.
    I would hope they would be lenient, but who knows...