View Poll Results: Should we keep the chat section in the upgrade?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, please keep it.

4 25.00%
  • Nope, kill it.

10 62.50%
  • Kill it but, find another method.

2 12.50%

Thread: To chat or not to chat?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

To chat or not to chat?

I'm working on the upgrade to the forum and am considering certain features. The chat section is one that is on the chopping block. I really haven't seen it used since around 2009 or so save for a few curious folks.

So, should it get the ax, or should it get a reprieve? I am considering other addons so we may not be completely chatless in the future.
    Scott / moncha.com

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Moncha View Post
    I'm working on the upgrade to the forum and am considering certain features. The chat section is one that is on the chopping block. I really haven't seen it used since around 2009 or so save for a few curious folks.

So, should it get the ax, or should it get a reprieve? I am considering other addons so we may not be completely chatless in the future.
    As we all rise through the experience levels that this site provides us, we find out who is of the same mind set, & naturally, whether from face to face, or pm, aquire each others phone #'s/contact info. Since I'm not much of a facebook/texting type, I won't miss it.

I will say, that I've had some very enjoyable chats on this site, but my typing abilities don't allow me to respond as quickly as I'd need to, to stay current with the topic at hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    As we all rise through the experience levels that this site provides us, we find out who is of the same mind set, & naturally, whether from face to face, or pm, aquire each others phone #'s/contact info. Since I'm not much of a facebook/texting type, I won't miss it.

I will say, that I've had some very enjoyable chats on this site, but my typing abilities don't allow me to respond as quickly as I'd need to, to stay current with the topic at hand...
    X2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    I vote to kill it but it would be nice to see a new option if possible. A couple months ago I enter the chat for a few hrs while killing time at work & nobody noticed I was there.

I private chat system like FB could be interesting where a window pops up on the bottom of the screen with users who are online.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    A couple months ago I enter the chat for a few hrs while killing time at work & nobody noticed I was there.
    Oh yes; we noticed you were there, but we deliberately didn't want to chat with you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Since I'm not much of a facebook/texting type, I won't miss it.
    X2. I can see where others might like it but it just ain't my cup-o-tea.

A couple months ago I enter the chat for a few hrs while killing time at work & nobody noticed I was there.
    Same-O. The other day, I was talking to myself ... & realized nobody was listening.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Some time back I entred, then posted a new thread saying something like "Join me in chat". Had like six people in there, probably a record. Got some good info on wheels and preservation.

From some other sites I participate in I find that the usefulness of the chat function is very limited right up until you need it. Stated differently, yeah, I/we won't use it much, but every now an d then something comes along that makes it really cool to have. Just to totally make up a scenario, imagine that some new series premiers on HBO and the lead character drives a VX. It might be coll to get in chat and have a distance drinking game, take a sip every time "our" truck appears.

Somewhat related example: Couple of years ago South Park did an episode focused on World of Warcraft. In the chat room at the official site, it was something to behold: near total silence during the actual showing, then explosions of comment during each commercial. Kinda cool.

So unless there is some sort of opportunity cost to keeping it that we are not aware of, keep it. Not only that, make the link more prominent, and schedule/pimp chat events. /2 cents.

Just curious here, but is there a downside to keeping it, and if so, what is it?
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    I think it would be a great function to keep if it was more noticeable. I just realized someone could be in a chat right now and I wouldn't have noticed (been on the site for an hour). Looks like most members want to kill it anyways.