Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Project ZU: Rear Tire Carrier

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    Got any pics of the exterior of the hatch without the tire mounted? Curious to see what you did to mask the butchery that needed to be done.
    I'll take a picture this weekend for you & Ala5ka

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    Jon- the rear door looks great, but im just curious, are you going to build some additional protection over that gas tank? it looks like it hangs down quite a bit more than factory because of the body lift.

I realize with bigger tires, it will touch less often, and the OD of the tire is technically closer to the rear of the vehicle, but it just looks vulnerable?
    Its on my list.

I've been waiting for Tom4bren's custom hitch to become available. The design is a perfect way to protect the gas tank.

In addition, I want to raise the gas tank 2-3" so I have more rear ground clearance. It shouldn't be too difficult.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    knowing you, i figured you had something brewing, i was just curious if it was re-designing the brackets or a new skid plate....
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    knowing you, i figured you had something brewing, i was just curious if it was re-designing the brackets or a new skid plate....
    So many projects, so few days to Moab

Quote Originally Posted by Ala5ka View Post
    Do you have a picture of the back with the tire off? How is the HiLift mounted as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    Got any pics of the exterior of the hatch without the tire mounted? Curious to see what you did to mask the butchery that needed to be done.
    I posted a pic today of the rear door without the tire, it's in the first post.

Looks alot better then the bulge imo. That rounded bulge is a little femmish, don't wanna say gay and offend anyone but the term really fits that female like curve on our vx's posterior. It's just not rugged enough looking. Plasma cutting it off and mounting that meaty tire back there is bada$$. Extremely awesome. I'm on the hunt for a back door to chop up!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Milwaukee WI

Quote Originally Posted by djvx View Post
    Looks alot better then the bulge imo. That rounded bulge is a little femmish, don't wanna say gay and offend anyone but the term really fits that female like curve on our vx's posterior. It's just not rugged enough looking. Plasma cutting it off and mounting that meaty tire back there is bada$$. Extremely awesome. I'm on the hunt for a back door to chop up!
    Contact our buddy Vic and drive down and get the Foxfire rear gate! He'd probably sell it separately.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/250979098149...ht_1316wt_1187
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Thanks guys, I considered working on a second one with my old door & putting it for sale but the time (increased price) & size would be a major issue. I have smaller projects planned for the future & hope to offer those things for sale if there's interest.

Tom, I looked into reinforcing the hinges but didn't have enough room behind them to add strength. If I start having issues, I'll weld the hinge to the door... or something
    Glue or adhere support shims onto the cladding so as you shut the door it slides up onto the shim supports. Then the door is held up by the hinges, the latch, and the shim supports. It aint goin anywhere.

Glue or adhere support shims onto the cladding so as you shut the door it slides up onto the shim supports. Then the door is held up by the hinges, the latch, and the shim supports. It aint goin anywhere.
    The bump stop I installed seems to be doing a good job supporting the door. I also installed a safety strap to the tire carrier just in case something really broke. I was a little nervous when I first installed the door that a "weak link" would show but now I'm confident the door will hold up.

The bump stop I installed seems to be doing a good job supporting the door. I also installed a safety strap to the tire carrier just in case something really broke. I was a little nervous when I first installed the door that a "weak link" would show but now I'm confident the door will hold up.
    Im starting a thread looking for a back door.

Im starting a thread looking for a back door.
    Did you read my post #36 and click on the link? There's one in Lake Villa, that's like what 2 hr drive tops?

With the body lift you need to find a way to lift the gas tank...it really hangs down and is more noticeable without the hump.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

That rounded bulge is a little femmish, don't wanna say gay and offend anyone but the term really fits that female like curve on our vx's posterior. It's just not rugged enough looking. Plasma cutting it off and mounting that meaty tire back there is bada$$. Extremely awesome. I'm on the hunt for a back door to chop up!
    O/T, but how is a woman's curvy derriere a bad thing? I guess if you personify your VX as a man rather than a sexy lady perhaps...

Just joshin' ya!

Question? Do you ever think of your HiLift as a samurai sword? Because that's how I feel about it. Also thanks for the rear door pic, I've got some ideas for when I do this
    Check out VehiCROSSAmerica on Facebook or @VehiXAmerica on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    With the body lift you need to find a way to lift the gas tank...it really hangs down and is more noticeable without the hump.
    Late to the Party

Its on my list.

I've been waiting for Tom4bren's custom hitch to become available. The design is a perfect way to protect the gas tank.

In addition, I want to raise the gas tank 2-3" so I have more rear ground clearance. It shouldn't be too difficult.
    Here's a pic of Matt's Trooper from Indy4x for reference. With the skid plate off I should be able to cut the 2 inner mounts & weld the tank higher. Looks to be a fairly easy project & the result will look much better with a tucked gas tank. I also need to make a rear bumper plate to cover up the frame below the cladding.

Quote Originally Posted by Ala5ka View Post
    Question? Do you ever think of your HiLift as a samurai sword? Because that's how I feel about it. Also thanks for the rear door pic, I've got some ideas for when I do this
    I was thinking red squirrel tail when I first put the hi-lift on because I had it mounted above the roof line & visible from the front. Samurai Sword... much cooler