Thread: Project ZU: Rear Tire Carrier

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU

Project ZU: Rear Tire Carrier

I finally finished my spare tire carrier using a junked VX door I picked up over the summer. Over a year ago I had an idea to make a tubular spare tire carrier for the VX. The project was quickly ruined once I realized how funny it would look with the rear door bulge...which started the next project

Goal: use a VX rear door to make a spare tire carrier (like Tom4bren, Marlin, & eblank) but remove the "bulge" & have the bumper wrap the tire.

Last January I told Jack (PBkid) my plans at a VX meet & he told me "you don't want to do that"

In July I sourced a junked VX for the back door & met Mdwyer in the process

In September I cut the center of the door out and test fitted it.

In October I welded 1"x1" square tubing into the door & found a trooper spare tire carrier from the junk yard.

In November I welded in sheet metal without the "bulge" and began the long process of fiberglass/bodyfill work.

In December I pulled the glass & cladding from my old door and installed them on the custom door.

Overall I'm happy with the door. I finally don't need to worry about where to put the big spare tire

And here we are:

Test fitting the door

I used a bump stop to take the weight off the latch. The bumper had to be cut for the tire to fit so I used sheet metal for the finish.

I left some imperfections on the center of the door because I'll always have a tire back there. I also decided to make the cladding end under the tire rather than attempt to fit the cladding across the door.

I kept this project pretty quiet until the end. There were several members following the build so for my next project I will post a thread and keep it updated with progress.
    Last edited by VXorado : 01/22/2012 at 03:11 PM