19 41.30%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: VX Snorkel Kit... interest?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU

VX Snorkel Kit... interest?

*UPDATE*

No need to vote anymore. Due to the high cost of snorkels from manufacturers, I won't be getting a custom VX snorkel made. There is a snorkel model available for purchase that fits with a little modification. I have snorkel info in the link below. Thanks

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=21927

I would like to get a quick tally on who would be interested in a snorkel kit. I've always wanted one & I know there's been member interest in the past.

Please vote honestly if you would purchase for a reasonable price, you won't hurt my feelings if you don't want one.

Details:
    I'm in contact with an overseas seller to buy a plastic snorkel. Plastic is key so we can make slight changes to the shape if necessary.

Plan:
    1.) Order several snorkels for different vehicles & pick the best match. This is where I would need plastic that can be heated & shaped.

Options:
    1.) The re-shaped snorkel can then be sent to the manufacturer and made to spec. $$
    ....................................OR.....................................
    2.) I can bulk order the snorkel that was a close fit & do some molding for a nice match. $

Price would be between $200-$400 per snorkel, just depends on the option choice & the size of the order.

I'm going forward with this plan to build myself a snorkel regardless of member interest. If there's enough interest, I can order in bulk which will end up giving us a custom made VX snorkel or a re-shaped snorkel for a cheap price.

Please vote to let me know if there's any interest.

I would like to get a snorkel that looks similar to the ARB safari product line. These sell for $400+
    Last edited by VXorado : 02/09/2012 at 03:46 PM

The problem with a functional snorkel is that you would use it ... & the altenator would H8 you for that.

There's been lotsa threads about snorkels. May want to use the search function & do some reading before you pull the trigger on it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    The problem with a functional snorkel is that you would use it ... & the altenator would H8 you for that.

There's been lotsa threads about snorkels. May want to use the search function & do some reading before you pull the trigger on it.
    There have been a few threads over the years about interest in Snorkels without a real solution.

Patrick Cooper wanted a snorkel and ended up making his own out of flex piping.

There was a Russian VX with a snorkel but I know there was fitment issues & it cost $300 from Russia before shipping. The snorkel is fiberglass & cannot be shaped easily.

That's all I have found and there was never a kit made for the VX.

The Alternator being at the bottom of the engine is an issue but not deal killer for water crossings. A splash guard helps tremendously, for me its the front kilby skid plate. Also, mud is the real issue for alternators & avoiding mud pits will help the alt last longer. I carry a spare alternator with me just in case as its always going to be an issue. I can't avoid every water crossing there is on a trail so a snorkel is important to keep water out of the intake just in case. Obviously there will be other issues with electrics if you go in really deep water but at least you wouldn't hydrolock your engine if you made a bad judgement call. Peace of mind my friend

I've always wanted one (for the look too) & will definitely be pursuing it with more success than the past attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    I've always wanted one ...
    That's what's important. Go for it!!!

We don't need no stinkin' snorkel!

That's me back in '02 at the old Paragon Park in PA. I'm still on my original alternator at 262K miles.

Mark Griffin (a VX lifer)

Quote Originally Posted by deermagnet View Post
    We don't need no stinkin' snorkel!
    Scary stuff . Water just creeping over the hood.

That's awesome that your alternator has lasted 262K miles.

You know for all the talk on this board about the bad alternator placement you would think someone would have designed a cover of some sort...

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    You know for all the talk on this board about the bad alternator placement you would think someone would have designed a cover of some sort...
    That's what jeep guys do because the straight 6 found in Cherokees & Wranglers had the alternator on the bottom of the engine too. I could probably design a guard as part of the project.

What VX? Rodeo Crew Cab, Jackaroo chassis, Supercharged 3.5, Navara tub (!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    That's what jeep guys do because the straight 6 found in Cherokees & Wranglers had the alternator on the bottom of the engine too. I could probably design a guard as part of the project.
    During the build of my truck I made a bracket that puts the alt up beside the RHS cam cover. Alt pulley height is just below the idler pulley on the thermostat block, so the belt still engages there.
    Where the alt used to be is another aircon compressor converted to air. All on the serpentine, uses the standard tensioner slightly indexed and a longer belt. Alt stays out of the crud, compressor has marine grease in the bearing (and is less susceptible to crap anyway)and I have massive amounts of compressed air too. Win-win
    The answer is more power! What was the question?

I am interested in one for its real application, dust. When traveling in convoy as most of us do pretty often dust can kill. In Australia they sometimes even use oil filled prefilters like the ones on some tractors. If you are into stuff that goes up to where your intake is you have more problems than just electrical, if you hit the water fast fan blades beat on the radiator, and a gnasty thing known as "hydro-lock" could happen which I could never put my precious VX through. How do I know this? I've done it, it sucks! (with an old fuel injected ranger) Water is our enemy (sometimes) snorkels help keep our filters clean, and some integrate breather hoses for other components as well like on naturally aspirated rigs. If its deep enough water can also get into the gas tank or sand and water can enter the axle via the axle vent tubes, or the engine via dipstick hole. Electronic things aside water is a fickle animal, alluring yet dangerous. In conclusion stay out of lakes and stick to the trails
    Check out VehiCROSSAmerica on Facebook or @VehiXAmerica on Twitter

Also I like the forward swept vent like on the Safari Snorkel.

Speaking of using something for its real application... am I the only one who thinks this Trooper has never seen dust or water in its entire life? Look at that shine!

This is BBVX in the same spot as me, but hittin' it at ~25 mph.

BBVX in these shots also-

And the famous Grandpa Bob shot-

Even Anita likes to swim-

Mark

...and Patrick Cooper's trip up the river video. This is the video that got me into the VX addiction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8ivM_tINlU&feature=fvst

awesome pictures! love it, the VX always takes my expectations and smashes them into little pieces.