• Custom made-to-fit VX snorkel: $300-$400

19 41.30%
  • Generic snorkel shaped to VX: $200-$300

8 17.39%
  • Don't want one. $0

19 41.30%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: VX Snorkel Kit... interest?

What VX? Rodeo Crew Cab, Jackaroo chassis, Supercharged 3.5, Navara tub (!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Hey do you have some pics of that setup? I'm installing a york oil filled air compressor with a v belt but i would like to see a setup that moves the alt too.
    The head has threaded bosses that the engine lift hook bolted to. I made a simple bracket that picked up those and the alt mounts, and added a jockey pulley. The alt mounts upside down compared to its normal position. I chose this height so the belt still picked up the idler on the thermostat housing ribs down. Could have gone higher, but then the idler would have needed to be a smooth one running on the back of the belt - easy enough I just didnt think it neccessary on mine.
    The belt tensioner is the stock unit with the fixed point indexed about 10 degrees. You can see the aircon/air compressor at the bottom, which are not as susceptible to crud and has marine grease in the bearing. Works well! I was set on getting a York but this one came up brand new for $50. If you didnt want the air compressor the jockey wheel would go down there - just low enough for the tensioner to exert its pull

I have still lost an alt with it up here but I bent 4 rods in the engine in the same bog-hole too so it was an extreme circumstance!
    The answer is more power! What was the question?

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbomaz View Post
    The head has threaded bosses that the engine lift hook bolted to. I made a simple bracket that picked up those and the alt mounts, and added a jockey pulley. The alt mounts upside down compared to its normal position. I chose this height so the belt still picked up the idler on the thermostat housing ribs down. Could have gone higher, but then the idler would have needed to be a smooth one running on the back of the belt - easy enough I just didnt think it neccessary on mine.
    The belt tensioner is the stock unit with the fixed point indexed about 10 degrees. You can see the aircon/air compressor at the bottom, which are not as susceptible to crud and has marine grease in the bearing. Works well! I was set on getting a York but this one came up brand new for $50. If you didnt want the air compressor the jockey wheel would go down there - just low enough for the tensioner to exert its pull

I have still lost an alt with it up here but I bent 4 rods in the engine in the same bog-hole too so it was an extreme circumstance!
    That's awesome

I need to look into this, the VX has less room in the engine bay but I might be able to mount the alt a little higher and like you said, run a different idle pulley.

Currently my plan has been to relocate the battery (done), and put the york compressor in it's place. The york will connect to the alternator with a serpentine/v-belt pulley and also have a spring loaded tensioner on the v-belt that will allow belt stretching with engine movement. It should work but isn't ideal and unfortunately was the only place I could put the large york compressor. Looks like I need to look into another option

Any pics of that bracket by itself?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

That's awesome

I need to look into this, the VX has less room in the engine bay but I might be able to mount the alt a little higher and like you said, run a different idle pulley.
    Dude...yer making this WAY too hard...

Just fab up the bracketry to mount the alt high center...

Then cut a hole in the hood...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post

Fab up a fancy cover and make it look like a 6-71 blower!!

Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

DUDE...SWEET!

I wanna ride...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post

Thanks, I gotta start using my head. I'll go get a torch & a hammer for the hood.

Just need to remember the old saying: measure once, cut twice. I think that's how it goes...

I checked this out today, should be enough room for the alternator to sit next to the oil fill. I'll try pick up a spare alt and do some measuring.

What VX? Rodeo Crew Cab, Jackaroo chassis, Supercharged 3.5, Navara tub (!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by RabidPony View Post
    Any pics of that bracket by itself?
    I have pics only if youse promise to excuse the mess...??

Bracket, with super-race-spec lightening hole. 10mm plate. Tools: Chop saw, angle grinder, MIG, assorted drills, beer

Alt & air compressor. This was the test-fit to see if my idea was feasible. The bracket for this went thru several prototypes getting lighter each time. In hindsight a comp with the 'ear' type mounts would have been a LOT easier, but this one was new and $50.......

Last edited by Robbomaz : 02/23/2012 at 05:18 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Robbomaz View Post
    I have pics only if youse promise to excuse the mess...??

Bracket, with super-race-spec lightening hole. 10mm plate. Tools: Chop saw, angle grinder, MIG, assorted drills, beer

Nice bracket, I would have guessed plasma cutter for sure.

Do you by chance have measurements or a diagram for it? Looks really good and like it would be pretty easy to duplicate.
    Last edited by RabidPony : 03/27/2012 at 11:50 AM

So yeah... Can a mod please end this poll? Otherwise I fear this thread will be bumped for eternity with people voting. I'm getting sick of this thread... it's SOOOOO 6 months ago.