Thread: Another CV boot question

Another CV boot question

Hey folks, I'm technically challenged so I wanted to clear things up before I head to the mechanic to have a CV boot replaced.

LDub posted this link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400181348673...ht_2630wt_1212 -- is it the best boot in terms of best bang for the buck for the non-lifted VX?

Which article in the How To describes how to remove the boot without damaging the ABS sensors? I figured it would be in the suspension section (http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...category&cid=3) but can't find anything relevant to the CV boot cover there.

Thanks!

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    The CV boot write up is in the drive train section. Using this method, I can't see how someone would damage the ABS speed sensor.
    http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...warticle&id=68

Your install will be slightly different because you won't be using the mecatec stretchy boots. Don't pay a mechanic too much because the boot replacement shouldn't take more than an hour. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by stangri View Post
    Hey folks, I'm technically challenged so I wanted to clear things up before I head to the mechanic to have a CV boot replaced.

Thanks!
    Good thing you're getting this info upfront about the ABS sensor so you can talk with your mechanic about it before he starts.....my mechanic ended up trashing mine during the CV boot repair, but said the sensor had basically bonded itself in there and it broke when he tried to free it.

Just in case yours does end up trashed, I got one from a Trooper for about $85.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    The CV boot write up is in the drive train section. Using this method, I can't see how someone would damage the ABS speed sensor.
    http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...warticle&id=68

Your install will be slightly different because you won't be using the mecatec stretchy boots. Don't pay a mechanic too much because the boot replacement shouldn't take more than an hour. Cheers.
    Thanks, there's not a word about ABS sensors there tho, so what should I warn the mechanic not to do then (in layman's terms please)?

Sue -- yeah, pretty much the reason I made this post was your thread about trashed ABS sensor (well, and the fact that I couldn't find the How To the VXorado linked above).

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by stangri View Post
    Thanks, there's not a word about ABS sensors there tho, so what should I warn the mechanic not to do then (in layman's terms please)?
    A mechanic might try to split the upper ball joint to pull away the spindle which can cause tension on the brake line & speed sensor. If the mechanic unbolts the lower ball joint, there will be no tension on the brake line/speed sensor & thus no issues. I would just print out the walk through & give it to the mechanic because its the best & quickest way to get the job done.

Thank you so much, will do!