Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What to do before 1200 miles?

What to do before 1200 miles?

OK guys/gals, I am getting excited to go get the VX on Friday, but I want to make sure I replace any parts & pieces you suggest before driving it 1200 miles. I am terrified because I will be making this trip SOLO, driving a car that I haven't even sat in, and these vehicles have the propensity to have problems.

I TOTALLY understand the need to check my oil every time I stop to fill up - NO problem! I got that one.

The mechanic that did the inspection changed the serpentine belt for me. He didn't think it was wise to drive it the way it was and he seems pretty cool, so I said DO IT! For $60 it is worth the piece of mind.

I plan on bringing a PCV down with me to put in. I also plan on bringing a plug-in ready radio since the previous owner stripped that out prior to selling.

The mechanic plugged in a big scan OBD II reader and found that in the past the EGR caused problems, but obviously he couldn't tell me how long ago that was so I am not going to do anything there.

Anything else you suggest? Anything else to watch out for?

Thanks for the help everyone!
    '03 Honda CR-V (DD) - '05 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - '01 Ebony VX!

A smile is like tight underwear, it makes your cheeks go up!

Make sure air pressure is equal in all 4 tires and the amount of wear appears even...that will keep the TOD happy.
    Also make sure the air cleaner is clean/new.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Re: What to do before 1200 miles?

Call "Horseless Carriage"...

I would say that a lot depends on the mileage/condition of the particular VX you're getting ready to drive. FWIW, I'd drive MINE 1,200 miles TOMORROW, but I'm fastidious with maintenance, and I've driven it 800 mile roundtrips a half dozen times...

I'd plan on carrying some rudimentary tools with me, including a can of "Fix-A-Flat"; a flashlight, spare motor oil (3-4 quarts), a bottle of antifreeze, and prolly an upper and lower radiator hose and a section of heater hose(s); alternately, you can buy a "splice/repair" kit for both radiator and heater hoses. I'd also carry a plastic "splicer" with hose clamps so that you can bypass the heater core by removing the heater hose inlet/outlets to the core and clamp them to each other if your heater core takes a crap on you...

Yeah - I'm "old school" - I've also done the Kowalski "Vanishing Point" run East-West and West-East about a dozen times. I only wasn't able to "limp home" ONE time - blew a head gasket in a '71 4-4-2 convertible in Nashville TN and had to layover for the requisite repair...

Good Luck! An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure - I don't know WHAT the hell that means, but I LOVE the way it SOUNDS!

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    I'd add a set of jumper cables and maybe a set of wiper blades purchased on site and installed before you take off.

Any items you may need for inclement weather; snow scrapers and such. Perhaps pick up some deicer and windshield washer fluid.

Also don't forget all of the car chargers for phones and such...

Enjoy the drive...you'll smile all the way home!
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Ya'll ar makin me laugh....
    LOL....she's a jeeper from MinneSNOWota.....I think she's got the basics of snow prep...

Kate....look at the questionnaire...it'll give you a roadmap of what VX items to prepare for on your drive home.

• TRANNY SOUNDS -Lots of people are surprised how loud and clunky the tranny can be....from P-D and P-R, even D-P...there's often some lash and a slight delay in the clunk engaging...don't know how to tell you what's "ok" or "normal"...just a heads up that it may sound weird. (it sure did on mine...and it was A-OK!)

• TOD & TIRE SIZE/AIR PRESSURE/WEAR/SAME MODEL -Billy's comments about this possibly affecting the TOD is also a good heads up....many owners have heard some nasty grinding sounds when any of these are too far off (and yet, others have NOT had this occur in those circumstances )

• ROUGH RIDE- remember, this thing is a rough rider, any way you look at it...so expect a really clunky, harsh, vibrating ride on anything other than smooth pavement. And you'll likely get some good hard clunks going over road joints etc... Might want to take a peak at the rear bump stops ahead of time so you know how much clearance is there...and how slamming a ride you can expect in the rear.

• WINDOWS: Probably won't need to worry about the windows since it's cold...can do that when you get home.

• DOOR HANDLES: As these things have gotten older, many people are having problems with the door handle mechanism breaking. Don't think you can do anything about it, just be aware....and always open the door handles GENTLY so it doesn't slip off your fingers. One VXer got some gritty strips and cut them to fit up under the outer door handle so our fingers don't slip off the plastic handle and possibly break it. Think it was VCrossFan that did it...he sent me 2 strips, they work great, never have the handle slip out of my hand.

• SEAT BACK RELEASE - the little black knob that makes the seat back come forward to allow access to rear seats....HANDLE THAT KNOB with care...it's old and dried out too and fragile!

• CVs- After having a CV boot split this past summer, and seeing all the grease that leaked out...and what damage I COULD have done if I hadn't found that early......I'd at least want to take a peak at the CV boots to see what condition they're in.

• CAREFUL WITH THE DOOR LOCKS....those things somehow end up locking themselves when you're outside the truck....ALWAYS KEEP A KEY WITH YOU...ON YOUR BODY! It's happened to me at least twice!

• MIRROR: Might want to buy 2 small convex mirrors stick-ons to take with you...it will likely have one already stuck on, but it's really helpful to have. Most put it on the lower, outer corner of the mirror....but for some reason, my oblong shape ones were most useful in the lower, inner corner.

• BLIND SPOT...OR HUGE BLIND SPOT....Get familiar with that big hawnkin' blind spot before you roll out.....it's not a C-pillar...it's a C-WALL!!!!!!

• CD PLAYER- DON'T EVEN BOTHER...it'll most likely just eat your CDs....stick with your temp stereo....

See ya when ya get home!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeperkate View Post
    Anything else to watch out for?
    Watch out for other cars, the VX come equipped with some nice blind spots

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Watch out for other cars, the VX come equipped with some nice blind spots
    x2...OEM equipment all 3 years!

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    I'm with you Sue! Seriously, wiper blades? Those can be gotten anywhere enroute, IF NEEDED... All doomsday BS aside, bring some basic mechanics tools and a rudimentary understanding of basic auto mechanics and you should be fine. Check your fluids before departure and pick up any as needed along the way. You're traveling major roads and highways, so it's not like you're going to be caught miles from anywhere with no access to basic auto care products or services. Keep the tunes turned down and your ears turned up to any "peculiar noises". After the first 50-or-so miles, pull into a station and check everything out, sooner if you suspect anything "unusual". Having the VX Shop Manual downloaded on your PC along for the ride could prove to be priceless. Good judgement, a keen ear, and a little luck go a long way towards a successful road-trip! Best of luck, and if you need any assistance, we're here...
    Vixer Fixer

Thank you everyone!

Here is what I have so far: PCV Valve, Duct Tape (never know when you might need that), Air Cleaner, flashlight, first aid kit, aftermarket stereo, and little mirrors. I am not going to be able to bring tools since I am flying with carry-on luggage only, so I am praying I won't need them. Although, I will probably pick up a few wrenches at the same place I pick up all the fluids once I arrive in GA. I also have the shop manuals on my computer, just in case (good idea). Winter stuff is taken care of!

Anyone else have anything to add?

A Saint Christopher medallion for SURE, and perhaps a plastic Jesus for the dash; that should do it!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGanzman View Post
    A Saint Christopher medallion for SURE, and perhaps a plastic Jesus for the dash; that should do it!
    All I have is a dancing flower and a little buddha - geeze I hope I make it!!

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    You'll do fine, you've got the duct tape for anything that moves that's not supposed to; now just ad WD40 for anything that doesn't move but IS supposed to! Have a safe trip and best of luck...

I am with scott in regards of loading your self with stuff that you really don't need to carry with you.
    Screw drivers,plyers,jumper cables and a flash light is what you really need to carry because if happens that the VX breaks down ( God's spare you ) is more likely you may need to have tow it to the nearest mech-shop anyways

1rst aid kit ? .......seriously ?

More important make sure all electrical are working,especially the brake,parking,headlights & hazard

Check that all caps are tight close ( engine.radiator,brake,steering,etc )

Before hitting the H-way check all fluids,especially the engine oil and make sure is fresh oil in there,also the tires should be properly inflated ( for TOD purposes )

Grab 1 or 2 quarts of engine oil and take it along with you.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT >>>>Since you don't know yet how much oil the engine may consume i'll suggest you make a 10 minutes stop @ every 100/150 miles to check the level,that can help you figured out @ which amount of miles you need to add more oil again.

I wish you the best ride back home and above all a safe ride.

PS: Welcome aboard kate
    Dakar was just the begining.

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post

1rst aid kit ? .......seriously ?

PS: Welcome aboard kate

I find a way to hurt myself all the time I pretty much have a first aid kit where ever I go....it is necessary...seriously

Thanks!

Take a bunch of lemons to suck on.

With 1200 miles to drive that smile will make your face ache.

Suck on a lemon to ease your aching facial muscles.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!