Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What to do before 1200 miles?

Happened upon this when looking for something else...thought I'd post it....
    TITLE: Rough Engine Idling or Engine Stalling
    It's page 6A-6 in the Workshop manual:
    (the nice table format didn't copy into this post...go to the original...)

6A–6 ENGINE MECHANICAL
    Rough Engine Idling or Engine Stalling
    Condition Possible cause Correction
    Trouble in fuel injection system Idle air control valve defective Replace
    Throttle shutting off incomplete Correct or replace
    Throttle position sensor circuit open
    or shorted
    Correct or replace
    Fuel injector circuits open or shorted Correct or replace
    Fuel injectors damaged Replace
    Fuel pump relay defective Replace
    Mass Air flow (MAF) Sensor circuit
    open or poor connections
    Correct or replace
    MAF Sensor defective Replace
    Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP)
    Sensor circuit open or poor
    connections
    Correct or replace
    MAP Sensor defective Replace
    Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT)
    Sensor circuit open or poor
    connections
    Correct or replace
    ECT Sensor defective Replace
    Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor
    circuit open or poor connections
    Correct or replace
    IAT sensor defective Replace
    Knock Sensor (KS) cable broken or
    poor connections
    Correct or replace
    KS defective Replace
    KS Module circuits open or ground Correct or replace
    KS Module defective Replace
    Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) circuit
    open or shorted
    Correct or replace
    VSS defective Replace
    Trouble in emission control system Powertrain Control Module defective Replace
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)
    Valve circuit open or poor
    connections
    Correct or replace
    EGR Valve faulty Replace
    Canister purge valve circuit open or
    poor connections
    Correct or replace
    Canister purge valve defective Replace
    Evaporative Emission Canister
    Purge control valve defective
    Replace
    Trouble in ignition system Refer to “Hard Start”
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    Hi Kate,

I had the exact same problem - high idle, racing RPM, stalling, etc. etc. just like you describe, and this lasted for a while as the troubleshooting continued.

In the end, all it took was giving a real good cleaning to the part I've circled in this pic. It's some valve that regulates air mixture or some such voodoo about which I know shamefully little. Some gunk builds up in there and the plunger gets caught up. Take that sucker apart, give it an carburetor-cleaner enema, and hopefully you'll be good to go!

Let us know!
    -V
    Idle Air Control (IAC) perhaps? (page 6E-22 in Workshop Manual)

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Idle Air Control (IAC) perhaps? (page 6E-22 in Workshop Manual)
    Thats it.

I pulled the IAC a couple years ago and cleaned out all the carbon. Its worth cleaning even if you don't have issues, I was surprised much it was clogged up. I believe its a $30 part if you need to replace it.

Thank you for everyone's help. I am putting in a new IAC and TPS within the next few weeks. I am picking them up tonight. We are also going to stick a code reader on there and see what it comes up with.

PS - The windows are tinted and the pinstripe is removed!
    '03 Honda CR-V (DD) - '05 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - '01 Ebony VX!

A smile is like tight underwear, it makes your cheeks go up!

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperkate
    Thank you for everyone's help. I am putting in a new IAC and TPS within the next few weeks. I am picking them up tonight. We are also going to stick a code reader on there and see what it comes up with.

PS - The windows are tinted and the pinstripe is removed!
    No problem, let us know if it solves the issue! Meanwhile, keep on eye on those revs. Betty might chomp at the bit at red lights or in traffic if she's idling too high. Not good for your brakes, transmission and temperature - or your bumper if she breaks free.

As for the tint and stripe? Pics or it didn't happen.
    -V
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

I just had to get home from work - here they are!

Before:

After - 20% in the rear, the fronts will get 40% once I fix the passenger window:

If the IAC doesnt fix the issue, I had the exact same problem. Driving along and the VX would just die. Turn the key and it would start back up. Mine ended up being the fuel pressure regulator. There are numerous threads here detailing the replacement process. It's at the rear of the engine, but up high. The hardest part is reaching it, and you would need a shortened allen head to get to it. I believe it's about a 50 dollar part.
    All that said, hopefully you'll have your issue resolved with the IAC. Best of luck!

Well, I finally pulled the code from my trip home and it appears it was the MAF that caused the CEL while I was dinking around in the slushy parking lot. I am replacing the TPS and IAC today because I may as well start there for the stalling issue, and I already have the parts. I will try to clean the MAF, and if all that doesn't help then I will try the Fuel Pressure Regulator.

What cleaner do you guys recommend for the MAF? I know it has to be sensor specific, but any one brand that you recommend?

I also have to fix one of the feet that support the hood. The hood doesn't pop like it should, and it wasn't lining up with the fenders, so I adjusted the one foot that would adjust but the other one seems decayed and won't' adjust. I'll figure that little bugger out!

Other than that, things are going good! Love this truck!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeperkate View Post
    Well, I finally pulled the code from my trip home and it appears it was the MAF that caused the CEL while I was dinking around in the slushy parking lot. I am replacing the TPS and IAC today because I may as well start there for the stalling issue, and I already have the parts. I will try to clean the MAF, and if all that doesn't help then I will try the Fuel Pressure Regulator.

What cleaner do you guys recommend for the MAF? I know it has to be sensor specific, but any one brand that you recommend?

I also have to fix one of the feet that support the hood. The hood doesn't pop like it should, and it wasn't lining up with the fenders, so I adjusted the one foot that would adjust but the other one seems decayed and won't' adjust. I'll figure that little bugger out!

Other than that, things are going good! Love this truck!
    CRC MAF cleaner...& I think there might be a couple other brands, but make sure it's MAF specific...

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CDMQ8wIwAQ
    Last edited by Ldub : 02/04/2012 at 09:43 AM

Thanks LDub! I will!

I fixed the feet for the hood, the old TPS looked good but I still replaced it, and here is what the IAC looked like old vs. new. (I know the pic is blurry, but you get the idea) Hopefully the change out helps the stalling issue, but we will see.

I'll see if I can't pic up some MAF cleaner before the day is out and take care of that too. I also changed the Air filter in the CR-V today...it was feeling lonely since I have been paying so much attention to the VX

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wink

I also changed the Air filter in the CR-V today...it was feeling lonely since I have been paying so much attention to the VX
    You're a good mom Kate....

Kate, remember to clean receiving socket for the IAC also. I watched my mechanic literally douse it in carburetor cleaner.
    -V

I'm on it - Thanks V!

The VX seems to be idling much better and I haven't had it stall out yet. That really doesn't mean anything though since I put 1500 miles on and it only stalled twice.

I did a little testing on the passenger window today and it appears the motor is in good shape as once the window is on track it has NO problem picking it up and putting it into its place. I taped it up again, but this time with BLACK duct tape......maybe it won't be quite as noticeable. Hopefully once I get the new window bracket thing it will fix my problems! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I also have the Mother's headlight restoration kit in my possession, but that is going to have to wait until I get back from my Colorado snowboarding trip this week.

WOO HOO! Lovin the VX! SO happy I bought it!

I got my window brackets in the mail today and my Showroom New yesterday!! Woo hoo! I still haven't decided if I want to go straight BLACK with the SN or if I want to go with a dark charcoal. A friend of mine put some Mother's Back to Black on the cladding, which FREAKED me out because I didn't know what it was and I didn't know how it would affect the cladding or if it would come off or change how the SN went on (he put it on when I wasn't around), and it looked pretty nice in that area. I just haven't quite decided yet if I want to go with the whole blacked out look

Now, to just find the time to fix / play Off to Vail in the morning

I got my window brackets in the mail today and my Showroom New yesterday!! Woo hoo! I still haven't decided if I want to go straight BLACK with the SN or if I want to go with a dark charcoal. A friend of mine put some Mother's Back to Black on the cladding, which FREAKED me out because I didn't know what it was and I didn't know how it would affect the cladding or if it would come off or change how the SN went on (he put it on when I wasn't around), and it looked pretty nice in that area. I just haven't quite decided yet if I want to go with the whole blacked out look
    Just an FYI, another forum member (gergmon) came up to my house last year for us to apply the SN on his Ironman. He used only black but I recall him saying when it was all dry that it wasn't a true black, it was a bit more deep charcoal. I know most of the other VXers that used SN did just black, maybe some will chime in here and give you an opinion on the final color.