Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What to do before 1200 miles?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperkate View Post
    I find a way to hurt myself all the time I pretty much have a first aid kit where ever I go....it is necessary...seriously

Thanks!
    For a minute i thought you had plans to put up a fight with the VX
    Dakar was just the begining.

HAVE FUN! I love road trips.

Jesus on the dashboard....everytime I hear that I think of this killer tune by
    Clutch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88HJnar9e8w

Today is the day! I should be meeting my VX in about 9 hrs! :-) Wish me luck!
    '03 Honda CR-V (DD) - '05 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - '01 Ebony VX!

A smile is like tight underwear, it makes your cheeks go up!

best of luck on trip i sure it will be a blast. i bought my vx from a guy in hinckley MN with a really bad rod knock and drove it back the 1200miles home to Calgary and made it. and as if that was not pushing my luck enough i now have bought another one with a rod knock in canton OH and will be trying to drive it the 2000miles home.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. WARNING: contains gory information!

I picked up the VX today - she looked as expected and ran as expected. I have noticed that it does eat some oil, probably near the engine specifications.

All my excitement for the VX today was brought to a halt about 35 minutes into my driving trip :-( I was driving on I-75 into Chattanooga when a car passed me going very fast and darting in and out of traffic. Not more than 3 minutes later he lost control, hit the median and the car (going about 85mph) did about a dozen flips mid air/hitting frequently - landing on it's tires. I was only about 3 cars back in the VX and immediately pulled over and ran to the car to help. There were apparently 2 teens in the car - one crawled out of the passenger window himself and looked at me and said "where is Tony?" I said "there was another person?" Tony was not wearing his seatbelt and was ejected during one of the rolls and when everything stopped he was about about 150 ft from the car. Unfortunately, the car was on the road and he was in a water filled ditch down a big slope - I was the one that spotted him and was the first by his side. We got him out of the ditch but he was too badly hurt, gushing blood from his nose and mouth. He never responded to us and only once actually coughed or opened his eyes. We tried everything including CPR, but Tony died at the scene....with me standing right near him....not exactly the day any of us had planned :-( My heartfelt prayers go to Tony's family and friends, may he rest in peace.

http://www.newschannel9.com/news/cra...ly-cleard.html

PS - I made it to Louisville - no problems so far with the VX. Tomorrow to Madison, WI.

that's just so awful, sounds like he was driving really crazy....sad...
    Good to hear the VX is doing OK and you can continue on your trip home....albeit a little more subdued than expected....
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

One more time the history repeats its self.....

Teenagers driving with no regards for the life of others and their own life.

@ 85 MPH without seatbelt is just playing with satan and he usually wins.

My sincere condolences to the family

Brutal way to mar what should have been a day of beautiful memories for you. Regarding the teens, do you know if it was the driver or passenger that died? For his own sake, I hope it was the driver, as he'd be spared living the rest of his life with the guilt of having killed his friend.

I see WAY too much of this kind of thing on Long Island. Makeshift shrines dot the parkways as testaments to the deadly combination of youth, recklessness, and horsepower a-plenty.

Glad things are right with your new VX though. I see it as a good omen that your trip and undamaged VX put you in a position to bring a measure of aid and comfort to those in need that day.
    -V
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    Brutal way to mar what should have been a day of beautiful memories for you. Regarding the teens, do you know if it was the driver or passenger that died? For his own sake, I hope it was the driver, as he'd be spared living the rest of his life with the guilt of having killed his friend.

I see WAY too much of this kind of thing on Long Island. Makeshift shrines dot the parkways as testaments to the deadly combination of youth, recklessness, and horsepower a-plenty.

Glad things are right with your new VX though. I see it as a good omen that your trip and undamaged VX put you in a position to bring a measure of aid and comfort to those in need that day.
    -V
    Well said V...

Kate...take some comfort in the fact that you did what you could, though the circumstances were all the way to "11" on the suck-O -meter...

Much gladness flows from the ol' dubster, knowing you & your new truck weren't harmed...at least physically.

Don't hesitate to get some grief/trauma counseling...

You're absolutely right V.
    s
    I also have to witness every single day while working these kids playing around with kick ***** vehicules.

Camaros,SRT-8's,mustangs,corvettes,pontiacs,etc are vehicules that shall be banned for drivers under 21,but again,we suppossedly living in a free country...so....

Yea....Ive come around a bit but dont think I will ever be the same. Im sure it will take some time

It was the driver that died and they were driving a 90s honda civic. It didnt look tuned but they were definitely moving.

VX and i made it to madison. I got a CEL about 2 hrs away in illinois after turning around quickly (i may have horsed it a bit) in a snow/wet covered mud parking lot. I filled up with gas a mile away and the VX promply stalled upon leaving the gas station. I thought i was in trouble, but it started back up a few minutes later and never caused another problem. As i drove into Madison the CEL turned off. I have no idea what it was but i can tell you that i need to take a good look at the t-case. There were some funny noises coming out of there when i was playing in that parking lot! Makes me very nervous.

Only other major issue is the passenger window - it is currently duct taped up. BAD!!

Otherwise i love it! It has great road manners. 18mpg average. Burns/consums oil inconsistently - i never had to add today :-) its fun to drive - ride is better than the jeep! 5 more hours tomorrow. Duluth bound in th AM.
    Last edited by jeeperkate : 01/28/2012 at 08:29 PM

Sorry to hear about everything Kate. Enjoy the drive and get some pics posted when you get home.

Well, I am home in Duluth, MN! The drive went great today, except that I didn't want to get the VX too salty and that was NOT an option today. The whole drive was wet salty roads. The oil total after 1200 miles was only about a half of a quart - not too bad I didn't think! The running total of mpg was between 16 and 18 the whole way - including when I had a wicked wind blowing so I was pretty happy with that as well.

So, I didn't take any pictures the first two days because of the incident - I was way too mentally/emotionally upset to concentration on doing something for myself, like taking pictures, no matter how simple the task was. However, I woke up this morning feeling a bit better and took out the camera for the VX's first snow fall :-)

Here she is in the parking lot with some fresh stuff!

Unfortunately, the fresh snow means SALT - here is how she looked when we got home -

This is after a nice bath. Happy Happy!

And, lastly here is a cool rock outcropping that I saw on the trip!

I know it seems lame to name the VX Black Betty, but I think that's it. My Honda is Black and she's called Mable. My Jeep is white and named Stella. The VX is Betty for short :-) I sing the song every time I step foot in the vehicle so I think the VX picked the name, quite frankly.

The VX goes to get tinted on Tuesday, hopefully, and then she will sit until spring so that she doesn't have to see any more road salt. Meanwhile I will collect the parts to take care of the window, headlight polishing, cladding refinishing, leather seat refinishing, etc. I go to Moab with my Jeep group in May (the week before the VXers go I think), so when I get back my concentration will be the VX.

I'm happy to be home and thankful that I arrived safely. I'm still mourning the loss of the man I didn't know, but it will get easier. I want to thank all of you for your help to get me to this point!! I appreciate the knowledge and friendship of this awesome VX group!

Congrats again, Kate. Betty looks gorgeous already, and when you're done with all the cosmetics you're planning on, she'll look even better. Will you be adding a roof rack also?
    -V